Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey people, New here.
I'm having some issues with my 99 Accord v6, Auto. 135,xxx miles.
Recently while sitting at lights and in stopped traffic, my idle will drop and recover. Yesterday it dropped so far the car shut off. I tested this in my drive way and it did it again. When I would leave the car in part though it would still shutter a little but not drop so much to shut it off.
Also when I try to accelerate hard it tends to bog down and act as if it can only accelerate slowly and on and off so the car feels like im tapping the gas on and off instead of one smooth throttle response. This will also happen on the highway while at cruising speeds, and I try to speed up or just change the acceleration it will sputter or bog a little.
After reading some online stuff, I am looking towards clogged egr passages or clogged cat. If it were indeed one of those, how would putting my car in park stop it from idling down and shutting off as opposed to being in drive? Wouldn't it do it in both?

Thanks for the help!

possible clogged injectors maybe?

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
fuel injectors dont just get clogged just like that, check you fuel filters, there is one in the fuel tank and there is another under the hood by the intake tube. if the filters are clogged, change em.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's a fuel filter clog, why does the idle only drop enough to stall when it's in drive and not park?

·
Clermont, FL
206 Posts
if it is a fuel filter, there is probably not enough fuel for ur car to overcome the forces when shifted into drive.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
I suspect a fuel issue as well, it is most likely caused by a bad main relay. Lots of posts how to fix the one you have or replace it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect a fuel issue as well, it is most likely caused by a bad main relay. Lots of posts how to fix the one you have or replace it.
gotcha, will check into that and see what happens. By the way, I recognize your sn. I'm in Atlanta too and on a few forums. Must be from one of those I assume.

If it's a main relay issue, and mine was bad. wouldn't my car not start at all?
also forgot to mention, when at a light, if I put my left foot on the brake and rev the gas to right under 1000rpm then there is no issue with rpm dropping. But for ex. when going up a steep hill half way up when I apply more throttle when the car begins to slow at the hill gets steeper, the car will bog and jerk and i'll have to feather the gas a little to get it to stop and accelerate further up the hill.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after doing some reading about the relay it seems it goes bad b/c it gets too hot and melts the connections. This would make sense as I think I only get the problem after driving at least 15 mins. And it seems to only occur in the hot after noon. I had no issues this morning on my way to work and it was nice a cool.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
forgot to mention It actually did throw a p0430 and 0420 code about a month ago. I cleared them to see if it would return but no CEL has come back yet. So that's another reason why I thought of the cat being an issue when this started.
Also yesterday during my cooler morning drive (40 mins) nothing happened and during my drive home ( again cooler at night) it was fine. But this morning's drive I didn't feel any boggin issues or accelerating issues but when I got to my parking space, I kept the car in drive and after 20 seconds the cars idle dropped and then recovered and a few second later it did it again. It would have dropped and shut off eventually. Still need to check the main relay too.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Those codes indicate a mixture problem , I would be curious what you fuel trims are doing right now. If you have a device to read short and long term fuel trims on both banks that would be interesting information.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Those codes indicate a mixture problem , I would be curious what you fuel trims are doing right now. If you have a device to read short and long term fuel trims on both banks that would be interesting information.
well I don't have a device to use. If you do since we are both in ATL and would like to know then maybe I could come to you to get them read. PM if interested.
Thanks

·
Reverse Gear
999 Posts
Hey people, New here.
I'm having some issues with my 99 Accord v6, Auto. 135,xxx miles.
Recently while sitting at lights and in stopped traffic, my idle will drop and recover. Yesterday it dropped so far the car shut off. I tested this in my drive way and it did it again. When I would leave the car in part though it would still shutter a little but not drop so much to shut it off.
Also when I try to accelerate hard it tends to bog down and act as if it can only accelerate slowly and on and off so the car feels like im tapping the gas on and off instead of one smooth throttle response. This will also happen on the highway while at cruising speeds, and I try to speed up or just change the acceleration it will sputter or bog a little.
After reading some online stuff, I am looking towards clogged egr passages or clogged cat. If it were indeed one of those, how would putting my car in park stop it from idling down and shutting off as opposed to being in drive? Wouldn't it do it in both?

Thanks for the help!

possible clogged injectors maybe?
It could be as simple as a bad tank of gas, or water in the gas tank. Spend a few $ and get a bottle of a fuel system cleaner that also removes water. There used to be a product called Dry Gas. There are so many things that could be causing this behavior, but cross off the simple, least costly fixes first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts