Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I want to remove the exhaust tips on my 2003 EX, but the screws are rusted. Has anybody been in this situation and figured out a way to get them off? Any help is appreciated!

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Lots of penetrating fluid (WD40) should help. If you get really frustrated, grind them off....

·
All VTEC. All the time.
465 Posts
PB Blaster FTW!

·
No longer active
702 Posts
I've already tried PB Blaster and WD40....what would I have to replace if I grind them off?
Probably just the screws (if you are careful). The idea is to grind off the heads, pull the tips off, then poke the screws out (or twist them out using a needle nose pliers).
I'm no expert, just trying to get you started. Maybe someone else could explain better.

·
"Life In The Slow Lane"
2,111 Posts
Vise-Grips may do it-

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
I snapped my hex head. if that happens you have to drill out and retap. I was going to put one of the new 08 model tips on till I snapped my bolt.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
What do you mean by retap it?
cut new threads into the hole so you can fit a screw thru it. Generally when you drill out a bolt you drill out the threads too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
take a drill bit that is signifigantly smaller than the bolt shaft size and drill all the way through the bolt.

Then keep going up a size until there is no bolt left.

then tap the hole.

buy a new bigger bolt

and profit.

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
take a drill bit that is signifigantly smaller than the bolt shaft size and drill all the way through the bolt.

Then keep going up a size until there is no bolt left.

then tap the hole.

buy a new bigger bolt

and profit.
Not to hijack the thread, but I never done that before. Are normal drill bits strong enough to drill a bolt? I would assume a bolt is solid metal.

·
Go Gators!
133 Posts
Sorry for bumping a year old thread but I reckon it's better than starting a new one.

So, I'm going to remove the exhaust tips to clean them and I noticed that the driver side is really rusted and stripped out. Does anyone know what size this bolt is? I would like to replace both of them with stainless ones.

Thanks.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
M6 x 12

honda part number : 95701-06012-08

·
Go Gators!
133 Posts
M6 x 12

honda part number : 95701-06012-08
Thanks. If I go to the local hardware store, will I look for that number or is there a number that is equivalent to that? I'd prefer not to get OEM as we know they are junk.

·
lookin' clean
671 Posts
Yup you look for a M6x12mm Stainless Steel if you want the ones that wont corrode easily. Hardware stores might not carry them tho. It is metric plus SS bolts are harder to find in regular hardware stores. Specialty ones will have them but I bet there is a minimum purchase.

·
Go Gators!
133 Posts
Thanks! The local True Value usually has hard to find items. I'll check them out. If not, I'll search online.

·
Go Gators!
133 Posts
So I was able to find some bolts. Now the hard part, getting the drivers side bolt out. I bought one of those grab it bits from lowes and grab it it sure did. It snapped it half! It broke off flush with the head of the bolt. I think it's going to take me 3 days to drill it out.

:bawling:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts