Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove my steering wheel in my car to put in a leather wrapped one in its place. I have run into a problem, when I was trying to remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller it stripped the holes in the steering wheel. Anyone know another procedure to remove my steering wheel since the steering wheel puller screwed up the holes? If not, maybe I'll bring it to a shop to remove it and install the new one. I followed all the steps that have been posted before, so I just basically need an alternative to a steering wheel puller. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Use a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to heat up the hub portion that goes over the splined shaft so the hub expands eveyr so slightly, and tap the underside of the steering wheel as near to the hub as possible with a rubber mallet.

·
Honda Nation
2,184 Posts
Why not just buy the leather wrap Honda accessory instead of going through this hassle to replace the whole wheel? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use a heat gun (or a hair dryer) to heat up the hub portion that goes over the splined shaft so the hub expands eveyr so slightly, and tap the underside of the steering wheel as near to the hub as possible with a rubber mallet.
Hmm, very interesting technique. Haven't heard this one yet but definitely worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why not just buy the leather wrap Honda accessory instead of going through this hassle to replace the whole wheel? :dunno:
As far as I know, there isn't one for the 08-10 Accords (at least after a quick look at college hills honda) and imo it looks much better.

·
NJDR
862 Posts
if it doesn't work ... just get a bigger hammer :lmao:

I am trying to remove my steering wheel in my car to put in a leather wrapped one in its place. I have run into a problem, when I was trying to remove the steering wheel with a steering wheel puller it stripped the holes in the steering wheel. Anyone know another procedure to remove my steering wheel since the steering wheel puller screwed up the holes? If not, maybe I'll bring it to a shop to remove it and install the new one. I followed all the steps that have been posted before, so I just basically need an alternative to a steering wheel puller. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you tried just hitting it with your hand from behind. When I swapped out my 98 to a tl-s wheel, the old one just popped off.
I did not try hitting it with my hand. I will give it another go tomorrow with your technique first then try Aviography way. I really hope I can get it done. I am still open to other techniques though.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tap from the underside did the trick for me. The tool I bought was useless.
Okay, good to know. Did you use a rubber mallet, or your hand?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've used hit gun to heat and don't have problem.
To prevent enother problem- center new wheel
Before remove old one:
Mark steering wheel column part whith permanent marker exactly the same position as marks on steering wheel. When you install new one, make sure the marks
On 9-12-3-6 hours on the same positions as marks on your new steering wheel.
Regards,
Dmytry

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've used hit gun to heat and don't have problem.
To prevent enother problem- center new wheel
Before remove old one:
Mark steering wheel column part whith permanent marker exactly the same position as marks on steering wheel. When you install new one, make sure the marks
On 9-12-3-6 hours on the same positions as marks on your new steering wheel.
Regards,
Dmytry
Okay thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay, thank you all for the help. I was successful the second time around not using a steering wheel puller. Just hit the steering wheel with my hand from behind and it popped off rather easily. Extremely happy I was able to do it myself!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts