Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work this morning, I heard a thud and then the sound of metal scraping on the road. I pulled over on the side of the highway expecting to see my muffler on the ground.

Instead some metal piece was hanging down near the catalytic converter. I automatically assumed this was it.

I turned around and went home to get the other car. When I got home I took a better look and it did not look like a converter. It looks like a metal shroud just under the converter. It has a few holes in it. One end was rusted and that is where it failed.

Do the 7th gen have a metal shroud under the converter?

No check engine lights went on.

Help

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
It's just the heat shield for the catalytic conver, nothing to worry about, just jack up the car and rip it off.

Just keep in mind the other heat shield will likely come off in due time, again just rip it off.

·
Registered
104 Posts
wow same thing happened to me around that same time...weird that it wasn't hot when i picked the bottom half up off the side of the road...i think i tore by hand the top shield off because it was lodged under the car...i still get a rattle though when starting the car.. i haven't gotten under the car to take a look but i did find a replacement heat shield from honda parts online for about $25 and $25. (for top and bottom)
or should i replace the converter with a direct fit Eastern for $150 (which i think comes with a built in heatshield) that seems simple to do

actually i still have an extended warranty i should see if the shield can be replaced. the oxygen sensor already was.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It's just the heat shield for the catalytic conver, nothing to worry about, just jack up the car and rip it off.

Just keep in mind the other heat shield will likely come off in due time, again just rip it off.
Just for clarification, the heat shields will need replacing after removal.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts