Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Attempted to change the tranny fluid in my 2000 accord 4cyl yesterday.
In doing so, I managed to almost strip the 3/8" head drain plug. I lodged a 3/8" racket into the plug and heated the surrounding area slightly with propane. Gave it a few good pulls and the racket began to slip, slightly rounding the inside if the plug. Anyone have any suggestions, or tips for getting these out?

THanks

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
If it is the part of the plug that you insert your ratchet into, and not the threads of the plug, then yes....

A muffler shop may charge you $25 to simply weld a piece of metal onto the plug, then you simply use that to unscrew the plug. Buy a new OEM plug for follow up....

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
If the 3/8 square drive is ruined, the drain plug has a large area you could use a pair of vise grips on.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
10,004 Posts
You can try wrapping the drive of the socket wrench in PTFE tape to give it a nice snug fit with the drain bolt and try to break it loose. Also, make sure you're turning it the right, or should I say left (i.e. counter clockwise), way.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. The threads are good. I couldn't get the plug to budge. Just elongated the inside of the head. I think I may be able to get vise grips on it. Maybe that in conjuction with taping the racket and pulling at the same time will work.

·
<= Jeep differential LOL.
838 Posts
Ratchet. More accurately: socket wrench.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I would use an impact wrench to begin with. They work like a charm on seized threads.
Can't really advise now after damage was done.

·
Bout it, Bout it
737 Posts
When I went to do the first drain & fill on my rebuilt tranny, the drain plug head was already totally stripped and rounded out. Stupid tranny rebuild shop.

I was too lazy to try different ways to get it out so I paid my indy $30. Since the car was already on the lift he changed out the fluid as well with DW-1 I provided.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts