Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I am very new to this forum, I tried searching on how to remove excess transmission oil, but I couldn't find a decent answer.

I ended up putting 3.75qt of synthetic ATF in my 2008 Honda Accord (2.4L). I checked my ATF dipstick several times (normal operating temp.) and noticed the fluid was beyond the "high" mark by a long shot. I believe the ATF is halfway up the dipstick.

So I am trying to find out if there is a "filler bolt" like on the manual transmission but for my automatic transmission (IE: page 325 of owners manual). I assume if I find the filler bolt and remove it, all the excess ATF will come out and all should be okay? I have attached a picture of the filler bolt.

If you guys know where this "filler bolt" is located on the automatic transmission, please let me know ASAP. Any other suggestions would be good as well in terms to remove the excess ATF.

Attachments

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Only thing you can do is drain via drain plug. Use a clean pan, so if you take out excessive amount you can reuse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I assume that the filler bolt doesn't exist in the automatic transmission? I was hoping not to drain everything and do the atf process again. Do you think I can suck out the atf from the top with a siphoning tool.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So I assume that the filler bolt doesn't exist in the automatic transmission? I was hoping not to drain everything and do the atf process again. Do you think I can suck out the atf from the top with a siphoning tool.
Yes you can or gravity drain. Find yourself a clean hose that can fit in the transmission dipstick. Feed the hose all the way in to the transmission until it stop. On the other end of the hose start sucking until you see the trans fluid is coming out and stop and stick the other end in to a bottle. Now just wait. Make sure the bottle is lower then the transmission.

·
Registered
114 Posts
You only really have two options: (1) the drain plug or, (2) suck some of the ATF out via the dipstick tube using a pump....say a MityVac manual fluid extraction pump or another brand top-side oil extractor pump.

A good oil extraction pump will set you back $50+. They do work. Boat owners use extractor pumps all the time to change the oil on their inboard engines. I have a MityVac 7400 and I used it to extract ATF from my old winter beater P71 Crown Vic. I use it on a regular basis to extract the oil from my commercial landscaping equipment (every other oil change, I drain from the plug).

If you don't think you'll have a future use for an extractor pump, I'd just pull the drain plug.

·
Registered
449 Posts
If possible, use a turkey buster that you have modified by connecting a long clear hose that would fit in the ATF dipstick.

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
As a heads up – of you elect to use the drain plug method – DO NOT loosen the plug slightly for a slow controlled drip and then tighten the bolt after the desired amount of fluid has drained and the transmission has the correct amount.

When you retighten that bolt, the threads will be full of fluid and may not sweat correctly – the fluid can create a wedge. Over time that bolt can loosen by itself, fall out at any time and you will lose all your fluid. Unlike an engine, there is no idiot light for low transmission fluid. If that actually happens, you won’t know until symptoms appear.

If you elect the drain plug method do a full drain, which is only 1/3 or so of the fluid anyway. Clean the bolt and retighten as normal. Of course make sure you are checking the level as instructed in the manual. What is it in a Honda anyway? Engine running? Fully warm? In park or in neutral? That can make a big difference on the dip stick level.

On that note, do you have a leak? Generally transmission fluid levels don’t change. The fluid can get disgusting and even burnt, but rarely does it get low and require more to be added.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When you retighten that bolt, the threads will be full of fluid and may not sweat correctly – the fluid can create a wedge. Over time that bolt can loosen by itself, fall out at any time and you will lose all your fluid.
Very good point. Plus, if I'm not mistaken, the drain plug has a one-time-use-only crush washer that forms a tight seal when the drain plug is torqued to spec.

Yeah, Honda ATF is not cheap, but I'd just drop the fluid and re-fill with new fluid.

As a FYI, when I change the ATF fluid in my Accord (same for my last 2 Accords), I check the fluid level (at normal operating temp) before I drain it and I measure how much fluid is drained out. I refill the trans with the same amount that came out and then check it at normal operating temp. Okay, I'm a little extreme, because I also make sure that the car is level whenever I do a trans fluid change (for both auto and manual trans). I place jackstands under the front and rear.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Take it in to a reputable garage and have them handle it for you for a few bucks. Its little things like this that will help build a good relationship with your local garage that will come in handy when you really need them.

·
Registered
804 Posts
i have done this 3rd or other option, more than a few times to help a friend out.. i will either slowly turn the plug out until it drips quickly and capture what i feel it "enough" or what i have done is, remove the drain plug quickly and put my thumb over the hole and move my thumb a few times to let some fluid out.. this way you are NOT loosing/draining all the New fluid... you know what.. i did this to my car once. when i wanted to add lubegard.. i remove transmission fluid without having to drain it all and start all over again. in each case it worked. its not brain surgery. its just being quick with your hands thats all.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have slightly overfilled my trans before on both my daughter's '02 and my '09 (thought I knew the amounts and did not check).
I also slightly overfilled my "12 Corvette" oil once. It takes 10.5 qts. and filled the new filter and did not take that into account when adding 10.5 qts. It is very sensitive to having the exact amount of oil (dry sump system).

On the trans fluid problem I loosened the drain plug and let a small drip/stream go into a plastic container. You can measure amounts and mark it on the container by using a measured container (from your kitchen) and fill it with water and measure it out marking it on the container you want to use to drain off the excess trans fluid. Not difficult to do. Just me but I have reused the crush washer after a drain and fill until I can see it needs to be replaced. Same with the oil plug crush washer. So I wouldn't sweat it.
Just take your time. You may want to jack it up a bit so you can work under it more easily. Break the plug and open it until it begins to drip and a small stream into your measured container. Then tighten and check until you are satisfied.
Hope this helps.
Glenn

1 - 11 of 11 Posts