Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter recently inherited a 2005 Accord hybrid from her uncle's estate. Not the best of circumstances to get a new car but she was excited. When we first drove the car it made a TERRIBLE racket and vibration when approaching stop signs or when changing low gears. The car would shake. We took it to Honda and the said it was the rear motor mount. ,some special hydraulic motor mount. $1100. Had the motor mount replaced, absolutely no difference, they said maybe the front motor mount was bad also. Had the front mootr mount replaced. $1100. Slightly better. The mechanic mentioned it is due to the fact that the engine shuts down to three cylinders instead of six and that change puts stress on the engine and the motor mounts. It only happens when the engine switches to ECO mode or right before or after it goes into ECO mode. I've never driven a hybrid before. Is there a special way to drive it? Is this normal? So far $2000 plus into it and it still has the same issue. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
@Audio:

Welcome to Drive Accord and I am sorry for your loss.

People more knowledgeable than me will chime in about motor mounts (how the heck are 2 costing you $2,000?).

As far as hybrid specific, there are only a few 7th Gen hybrid owners active on this forum. However, the 9th Gen forum has many new hybrid users. I know that the 7th Gen and 9th Gen Accords are VERY different, but they may offer some advice there too.

Can you talk about how many miles are on it? Was your daughter's uncle the only owner? Was it well-maintained? Did he do a lot of "jack-rabbit" starts? Do you have any maintenance records or can you get them?

·
Super Moderator
7,853 Posts
OP,

Welcome to DA, albeit not under the best of the circumstances.

As Rick mentioned, the knowledge level of hybrid Accords is a bit shy around here, for that matter elsewhere too on other forums, it's was not a high volume model for the time the cars were sold.

I would suggest you speak to the service manager of the dealership and take them to task, as a consumer of a major marque with excellent reputation for reliability and customer satisfaction, you should not have to continue to let them experiment at your sole expense, especially not after over $2K already spent at their dealership.

Be polite but firm, if they are not of help, start asking for the info to contact the district service manager and/or technical support at American Honda, let them realize that while you are working with them on this issue, you are not just going to let them continue to charge you (or your daughter) for that kind of expenditure without a successful outcome, that's is simply unacceptable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car appears to be very well taken care of, but I couldn't be 100% sure, we found lots of paperwork that suggests he took very good care of the car. I've done a bit more researching and there seems to be a common issue with what people are calling a "droning" noise and they describe similar situations. The dealer and my personal mechanic all can't believe the price of the hydraulic motor mounts. We double checked the price and as crazy as it seems the are ridiculously else sue, we had to special order them and even wait about 8 business days for the mounts to arrive

·
Banned
13,100 Posts
Aviography nailed it- that is great advice. Perhaps the dealership you are going to does not have techs whom have worked on 7th Gen hybrid Accords.

I went to hondapartsunlimited to look up the front and rear engine mounts of your hybrid. Full price is over $700 each!!

http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/...automatic/body-air-conditioning/engine-mounts

Do as Aviography mentioned...especially the "polite but firm" part. And please give updates here.

·
03-SSM-AV6-6MT
829 Posts
That motor shuts off completely, when coming to a dead stop. I'm assuming the problem is with the components that shut the motor off, and restart it. If there is a problem with the electric motor dump the car. It's not worth fixing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 6 of 6 Posts