Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I got a pair of Jack Stands. I wanted to change brake pads, change engine oil and flush power steering fluid flush this weekend.

For brakes I used the scissor jack to lift a side at a time and changed pads.

But for changing oil I need to get under the car so will have to use stands. There is no way I can lift the car using scissor jack and have jack stand next to it as the 4 lift points on the side of my 07 Accord Sedan aren't that long/wide.

Should I lift the rear end of car using scissor jack to place jack stand on the front ?
Please suggest.

·
Accord Power
480 Posts
I think you need to buy a bigger Jack than the spare tire scissor jack. The Scissor jack is only meant to allow you to change flat tires. A bigger shop or equivalent of jack, can be positioned under a solid frame of the car to be lifted up enough so that you can get jack stands underneath.

No matter what, you should jack up two sides at a time. The job will go easier that way.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10153_12605?keyword=jack&x=0&y=0&vName=&viewType=gal&viewItems=24

Something like those can help you alot. If you want something bigger, you can get a shop jack.

I hope that helps some. But diffinalty use something other than the scissor jack.

·
Accord Power
480 Posts
Ah, won't the ramps prevent you from getting to the brakes? While the ramps are useful, you'll still need a better jack than the spire tire jack.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Ah, won't the ramps prevent you from getting to the brakes? While the ramps are useful, you'll still need a better jack than the spire tire jack.
Details, details........

But of course you are right!:thmsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is true, but I had done brakes before I started with oil change, and hopefully wont be needing a brake change for another 30k miles or so (I drive about 7-8k miles annually :)). Ramp would be easier to oil change and other routine stuff, especially in winters since I leave in a rented apartment (no garage).

Next week would be changing rear window regulator, looking for a DIY if there's one.

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts