Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2018 Accord Touring 2.0. Thought it would be cool to get a Bluetooth OBD reader that would allow me to read engine parameters on the fly. So much for a good idea. Reader found a bunch of error codes, that according to Google are all potentially serious. Anyone have any experience with these and whether they are serious? U0100, U0416, C0023, U0401, U0402, B1241.

Most seem to be related to ECM communication with other modules. One thing I’m wondering about is if they have anything to do with a KTuner ECU flash I had done last week. But I don’t see anything about these codes in relation to any post on the KTuner forums.

Without having seen the codes, never would have expected anything - car is behaving and driving fine.

Only thing I can come up with right now is to clear the codes and see if they come back. Any input appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
2018 Accord Touring 2.0. Thought it would be cool to get a Bluetooth ODB reader that would allow me to read engine parameters on the fly. So much for a good idea. Reader found a bunch of error codes, that according to Google are all potentially serious. Anyone have any experience with these and whether they are serious? U0100, U0416, C0023, U0401, U0402, B1241.
I suggest you install internet 1.0 and Google 1.90854 and use them to use procedure Find 6.2342342 with those codes. I hear that works to find out what codes mean and how serious they are but can't make any promises.

Most seem to be related to ECM communication with other modules. One thing I’m wondering about is if they have anything to do with a KTuner ECU flash I had done last week. But I don’t see anything about these codes in relation to any post on the KTuner forums.
Yeah, what are the chances that an ECU flash could have side effects resulting in codes? Really?

Only thing I can come up with right now is to clear the codes and see if they come back.
If that's all ya got...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To all of you who think you’re being funny... maybe you are the most knowledgeable experts in the world about cars, but not everyone is, and I’m certainly not. I’m asking a serious question and asking for help, because I don’t know the answers - and all you can do is make jokes and insults. It‘s people like you who make forums like this an unwelcoming place. Congratulations.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Have you undone the flash? Do you not find it coincidental that these codes appear not long after a flash? They may not be linked but before you proceed, either by yourself or via a dealer, reflash to stock.

·
HK Moderator
13,630 Posts
It's no joke Tuco, it's a rope.

Look, when you reflash the car's computer, you will have things pop up. I am not surprised that a ktuner reflash gave you hidden codes, nor that their company-controlled forums don't mention this. It could hurt sales.

I found it alarming that the number one phrase their social media reps post is "The dealer will never know- you can reflash back to stock in the dealer parking lot before you go in for service."

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks LarryP. I purchased the reader after the flash, so I have no idea whether those codes existed before or not. Perhaps naively, I was hoping there might be some reassurance from someone familiar with these codes that they were no big deal and unrelated. I’ve done a lot of searching on KTuner and OBD error codes, and it doesn’t seem anyone is having this problem (or is aware of it).

Anyways, I agree with you. My plan is to clear the codes, drive the car for a bit and see if they reappear. If they do, I’ll restore the factory settings and try again.

@RickBlaine, thanks for the info. I thought I had done my due diligence by reading all I could about the Ktuner on this forum and the other Accord forum. I didn’t see anything about a flash causing OBD error codes. Live and learn I guess....

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
To all of you who think you’re being funny...
Yeah. We're evil. Get over that and we're a great bunch of girls and boys though. You got the sarcasm dump because you answered your own questions while asking them - at least where to find the answers.

So, yeah. Clear your codes. See what happens.

So, yeah, undo that tune (can you?). See what happens.

And do tell us how it goes. Nothing like your success to make us evil people happy.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Thanks LarryP. I purchased the reader after the flash, so I have no idea whether those codes existed before or not. Perhaps naively, I was hoping there might be some reassurance from someone familiar with these codes that they were no big deal and unrelated. I’ve done a lot of searching on KTuner and ODB error codes, and it doesn’t seem anyone is having this problem (or is aware of it).

Anyways, I agree with you. My plan is to clear the codes, drive the car for a bit and see if they reappear. If they do, I’ll restore the factory settings and try again.
Here's what I would do -- do with it what you'd like:

1. Do not clear the codes until you know what's going on.

2. Call company that did the flash, and let them know about the codes. Get their input on this, and find out if this happens routinely, or if your car is special.

3. Company will likely tell you it wasn't them and it's not their fault. Call KTuner and talk to someone with a pulse. Get their input and a course of action.

4. The result of 3 will probably be to flash ECU to factory setting, like you were told earlier. Do that. Then check for new codes. If no new codes, clear the old codes out and hope like heck that you didn't mess something up. That transmission control module code made me wince a little.

Mods are a risk, and they're best performed with money sitting in your bank account to deal with the possibility of unexpected results.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks 2018TwoPointOh. Before I saw your post, I did clear the codes (but kept a record of them) and drove the car for an hour. During that time, had a failure of the CMBS/ACC system (which had happened a couple of times a few days earlier - and KTuner has surprisingly acknowledged is an issue), plus the car threw a few more codes related to the ECM communicating with the power steering. I will call KTuner, but as you suggested, I doubt they will be of much help. I’m going to flash the car back to stock on Friday and see what happens. Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
80 Posts
@RickBlaine, thanks for the info. I thought I had done my due diligence by reading all I could about the Ktuner on this forum and the other Accord forum. I didn’t see anything about a flash causing ODB error codes. Live and learn I guess....
It‘s OBD (on board diagnostics) not ODB. I Googled what ODB stands. Can’t write the urban dictionary definition here or Rick may ban me. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts