Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. My engine light has been going on and off a few times. I pulled the code and it's P0138. I looked up the code and got this

O2 Oxygen Sensor Circuit High Voltage (Bank1, Sensor2)

"What does that mean? The Heated Oxygen Sensor (2) located rear of catalytic converter produces an output signal relative to oxygen storage capacity of catalytic converter. Ho2S 2 signal is less active than signal produced by front oxygen sensor. This code sets when HO2 Sensor voltage is greater than 999 mV for more than 2 minutes (time depends on model. Could be as high as 4 minutes)

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0138
Copyright © OBD-Codes.com"

I need to know where it is exactly and which 02 sensor to buy. Because on DENSO's website they have two 02 sensors for the same 3.0 liter accord.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Call any dealer, give them your Vin number and they can give you a part number....or some Honda parts sites will let you search by vin.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Call any dealer, give them your Vin number and they can give you a part number....or some Honda parts sites will let you search by vin.
I ordered one (O2 sensor) via amazon..hopefully it works

·
Registered
61 Posts
yeah, if an o2 sensor is generating more han 1v, it could also be shorted. it seems to be intermittent, so it could be either the circuit or the sensor.

as rszappa1 said, stick with oem. the rear HO2S is a four wire sensor. the fronts are five wire.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would stick to OEM on this one.....................
yeah, if an o2 sensor is generating more han 1v, it could also be shorted. it seems to be intermittent, so it could be either the circuit or the sensor.

as rszappa1 said, stick with oem. the rear HO2S is a four wire sensor. the fronts are five wire.
It was DENSO brand which is OEM I paid $47

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Dan, when I replaced mine, I drove for about 2 miles and the engine light turned off by itself. I didn't have to clear it.

The plug is under the driver's seat and goes through a rubber grommet to the O2 sensor underneath the car. I didn't have to remove the seat I don't think.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dan, when I replaced mine, I drove for about 2 miles and the engine light turned off by itself. I didn't have to clear it.

The plug is under the driver's seat and goes through a rubber grommet to the O2 sensor underneath the car. I didn't have to remove the seat I don't think.
Ok cool thanks for info. Do I need an o2 socket? please say no

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
I didn't need one. It seems they come pretty loose from the factory. Even if tight, you'll probably be able to get it off with conventional tools. At worst, you might be able to rent one.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yay!!

·
Registered
489 Posts
I have the O2 sensor tool and on some cars there heat shield is in the way...I used vice grips on the last civic I worked on. Not too difficult...give the car some time to clear the code too...

Another thing, I modified exhaust and removed cats so I caused my own issues, but the codes it would kick were pretty fickle...I had similar codes and soaking the o2 sensors in gasoline overnight ended up clearing the code...on the TL the upstream O2 sensor determines the AF ratio so it ran like sh*t for a few minutes as it burned the gas out of it, but once it did, within a few weeks it kicked the code and hasn't returned.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dam CEL light never came back after I had pep-boys clear the code. Now I have a brand new 02 sensor in the box, and I am wondering whether to change it or not. The CEL hasn't come back in like a week

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok i will just change it

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Dan, did it happen to occur after idling or while driving? If while idling for a period of time before being driven, that's perfectly normal - does not mean your 02 sensor is bad and will go away - if by driving, then yes, you have a bad 02 sensor.

Mine comes on every so often if I am idling for > 10 minutes (i.e. going to leave a place and waiting on people so I sit there and listen to music - it's never good to idle for a long time though)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dan, did it happen to occur after idling or while driving? If while idling for a period of time before being driven, that's perfectly normal - does not mean your 02 sensor is bad and will go away - if by driving, then yes, you have a bad 02 sensor.

Mine comes on every so often if I am idling for > 10 minutes (i.e. going to leave a place and waiting on people so I sit there and listen to music - it's never good to idle for a long time though)
I haven't been in really bad traffic. I swear this CEL has been going on for like 20k miles. I used to think it was the gas cap, so I would reset the battery every time it came on. It wouldn't come back for like forever. A week ago I finally got it checked and it was P0138. But now I am just going to change it because I bought it already

·
I <3 My Honda
3,245 Posts
Yea, it sounds like you actually have a bad sensor if it's been going on for that long. The way I read the OP was that it was a new problem. Hey, if you already got it, use it! :D Your baby will thank you when she runs purrfect again

1 - 20 of 24 Posts