Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ummm OK this is strange... I'm looking at my Amazon purchases and I bought (and installed) the Denso 234-4797 Oxygen Sensor twice already:
  • July 24, 2016
  • June 11, 2015
The same code just came up again yesterday.

I mean... sure... I can definitely get yet another sensor but - what gives? Am I having some other issues that make the sensor fail after a year? I'll be checking for vacuum leaks, wires etc. tomorrow but... I'm thinking maybe it's time to take it to Honda and have them diagnose it with HDS? I like replacing parts on the car as much as the other guy but is there an undiagnosed problem here somewhere? :|

·
Elvira - the car
3,423 Posts
Ummm OK this is strange... I'm looking at my Amazon purchases and I bought (and installed) the Denso 234-4797 Oxygen Sensor twice already:
  • July 24, 2016
  • June 11, 2015
The same code just came up again yesterday.

I mean... sure... I can definitely get yet another sensor but - what gives? Am I having some other issues that make the sensor fail after a year? I'll be checking for vacuum leaks, wires etc. tomorrow but... I'm thinking maybe it's time to take it to Honda and have them diagnose it with HDS? I like replacing parts on the car as much as the other guy but is there an undiagnosed problem here somewhere? :|
I've seen enough posts on DA that recommend purchasing the O2's from Honda. The posts usually say that these cars/engines/ECM are very persnickity about non-OEM O2 sensors. Why that is, I have NO idea !

Unless you are getting other codes, you probably don't have an unburnt fuel problem screwing with the cat or O2.

Since it takes a year to pop the O2 I doubt it's an upstream problem and more likely the sensor itself.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm thanks @Miker - I was under the impression that Denso 234-4797 was a Honda part.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Are you replacing the O2 sensor wires also or just the sensor. Clean the sensor contacts &/or run a bottle of good fuel system cleaner first. Honda used Denso upstream, NGK downstream for 4 cyl 7th, gen. Miker may be thinking of the Bosch sensors some tried to use.

·
Elvira - the car
3,423 Posts
Hmmm thanks @Miker - I was under the impression that Denso 234-4797 was a Honda part.
If that's the case then I recant my statement as it doesn't apply in this situation. Does the Amazon site say it is Honda OEM ?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If that's the case then I recant my statement as it doesn't apply in this situation. Does the Amazon site say it is Honda OEM ?
Yeah actually... nope. So I was the one who was confused...

This is what Amazon shows as OEM part (Honda part # 36532-RAA-A02)
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-36532-RAA-A02-Oxygen-Sensor/dp/B00BFDHJ1O

What I bought was Denso, after reading many threads in the past, I knew to stay away from Bosch but I guess there is a difference between the Denso part and "Honda Genuine OEM" part. Now that I think back to the time when I replaced it originally, they did look slightly different.

Okay, will get the OEM part now and replace that; hopefully stopping this annual exercise. Thanks for asking! :)

PS/ Also just called the local dealer and yes - their price for the sensor is $130 soo... Amazon here we come!

234-4797 Denso is listed as a downstream sensor @ Denso site Find My Part Did you put in a downstream one for a upstream one ?
Well - the service manual talks about P0139 and replacement of the "Secondary HO2 sensor". Being the sensor that plugs in under the passenger seat. That sensor, on the I4, is the one that has the rubber seal that goes into the hole on the floor, as per:

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~sensor~oxygen~36532-raa-a02.html?Make=Honda&Model=Accord&Year=2005&Submodel=&Filter=(bt=4,5;et=2,7)&Location=pd:2826698,31

That is also the sensor that Denso 234-4797 replaces.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my 04 I have always used NGK for the downstream without a problem, bought @ NAPA.
I learned something today; NGK for that one; Denso for the other. If at first you don't succeed... eventually I'll get it right. :)

·
Roll Tide!
7,634 Posts
@t-rd will be along shortly to tell you that your bad 02 sensor is the result of a problem, not the problem itself. code readers are the devil, or so @RickBlaine says, as they don't tell you where the fire is or what started it. these devil readers only tell you where the fire alarm is located that is going off.

·
Super Moderator
6,190 Posts
I'm going to say....

What does your short/long term fuel trim look like in realtime while driving? How about the tail pipe? I read the fuel trim once in a while using a $29 bluetooth adapter with Torque app on my phone. It sounds like rich running, fouling O2 sensors.

I'm having my share of strange car issue recently. Long crank after a few hours of sitting, but starts up fine from cold. Looks like the fuel pump is going, finally.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@t-rd - thank you for the reminder; the reader that I have does not do such fanciful things, but I'm shopping for one that does right now. I'll need this anyway, one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@t-rd: well, not exactly sure what I'm looking at but here it is - from a short drive around the neighborhood that I just took:

·
Registered
898 Posts
When it comes to the 7th gen Accord, if it's electronic or engine-related, don't bother chancing it to OEM.

This car is very picky about after-market electronics.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yup, the OEM sensor is coming later this week. The light went out too, LOL. But when I get the new sensor, I'll definitely install it.

BTW, I have been reading up on fuel trim (here) and it seems like everything is in order, actually? I also did a separate test as described in that article (idle, 1500 and 2500RPM) and at no point was trim over 10%. Very similar graph to what I posted.

·
Registered
898 Posts
The car will behave normal for some time, then show its ugly face when least expected.

Once I had a 2004 LX. When I first bought it, it had 112k. Car felt sluggish so I decided to replace plugs and coils at the same time. I did OEM NGK plugs but went with after-market coils. The price difference was significant, so I fell for it.

Long story short, the car began misfiring something fierce 100 miles away from home. So I towed it home, and replaced with OE Denso plugs. Car ran fine after that.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
When I got rear ended my check engine light came on. I told the body shop so they diagnosed it as a bad o2 and replaced it at the expense of the lady who hit me. Got a new radiator and condenser for free too

·
07 Sdn
341 Posts
You might have a small exhaust leak. I would run that trim reader when the temperature is below 60. I bet the light comes on again and you see something in the trim.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yup, the OEM sensor is coming later this week.
Hey Rookie, it's now been 2 1/2 years. Did you ever get that code again after the OEM install?

I get the P0139 code about every other month. It will stay on for a day or two and then go away on it's own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts