Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
coming live from a newly shaken Harrisburg PA (1st earthquake EVER)

here you go:

i see mobil1 synthetic 5w-20 has 15k mile intervals between oil changes... SO here we go:

do you / should you still change the FILTER every 3k?

thanks!!!
the resident D/A.NET moron

·
Registered
534 Posts
. . . should you still change the FILTER every 3k? . . .
No. For at least two years, Honda's maintenance schedules have called for an oil filter change every second oil change. Put that together with Honda's Maintenance Minder system, and that could easily result in your leaving an oil filter in place for 20k miles.

Having said that, I wouldn't do that. I have left oil filters in place for two oil changes, but never longer than 10K, and -- as an old dog raised on the 3K oil change -- even that was a real character-building experience.

Bottom line: If you are planning to go 12K or more on M1, I'd change both at the same time.

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,123 Posts
Just to clarify Mobil 1 Extended Performance is the only one guaranteed to run 15K miles. The other Mobil 1 synthetics are not. My 2004 2.4l manual suggested 10K oil changes and 20K filter changes using regular oil....YIKES!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok so to continue the informative stupidity... got a purolator filter today (fantastic deal) and mob1 synthetic 5w20... "regular" synthetic oil. how long do you both suggest i go before the next change? 07ex4cyl, 44k...

deal is this: the oil filters at advanced auto parts if ordered online are 6.99 ea. you ship them to the store. get 4 of them and add (i got) rainx windshield fluid to peak the price over 30 bucks. then theres a coupon code of A123... takes $10 off the price, bringing the filters down to 20+ dollars (depending on your "filler to get to $30" purchase)... purolator is having a rebate of $3 per filter (-$12) bringing cost of filters down to $1.50 each after rebate.

i bought oil at the store and they matched wallyworld's price for the 5qt jug...

good day... thanks for your help guys... i'm new to the car stuff here n there and i am having fun anticipating my next (2nd performed) oil change... seems cheezy but if you knew me you'd know i'm the turn the key and magically it works kinda guy...

thanks
III

·
1,655 Posts
The only dumb question is the one not asked. Amazon is also running a rebate deal on PureOne oil filters through September, I think.

Welcome to the car stuff!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Amazon is also running a rebate deal on PureOne oil filters through September, I think.
i saw that... i think its the same deal/rebate form but you gotta pay shipping... the deal i got has a $10 coupon off a $30 order... plus the -12 from 4 filters (3 off each)... could have had more off but they said oil isn't available to buy online even to p/u in the store... whatever...

if you can find the right deals they're there for the taking...

the rebate says its done 10/29... FYI :thmsup:

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,123 Posts
Doesn't the '07 have an oil life monitor? If so that's what you use for oil change intervals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts