Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased CRV Touring for the bride as a surprise and traded in the Odyssey. Will pick up on Monday. Didn't even test drive one but I bet that the bride will love it and I figured it was worth it for all of the safety features

Although CVT's aren't my preference, after reading all of your biased posts and asking 08 EXL if the CVT was a deal breaker (which it wasn't), I ended up staying in the Honda family. Sat in the new Pilot. That will be a huge success even at sticker but doesn't come close to a van in terms of room.

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
What a coincidence! I was just thinking that we really do need another CVT-focused thread.

Thanks! ;)

And congrats to your "bride" on the new CR-V.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Your bride is a very lucky lady. My wife and I were just looking at an EX CRV. Yesterday my son was involved in a three car accident on the freeway and my 2000 Accord V6 Coupe was the middle car. I'm fairly certain my insurance company will total the Accord and give us some money which I will put towards a CRV for the wife and give my son the 07 Fit.

Your wife will love the CVT combined with the Earth Dreams I4. I get a solid 30 MPG in mixed city and freeway driving.

·
Registered
377 Posts
"The bride"? "A surprise"?

By "the bride" I assume you mean "your bride." When does she get to be "the wife" or "your wife"?

As far as your bride being "a very lucky lady," I would be pissed if someone purchased a car for me "as a surprise" without consulting me.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By "the bride" I assume you mean "your bride." When does she get to be "the wife" or "your wife"?

As far as your bride being "a very lucky lady," I would be pissed if someone purchased a car for me "as a surprise" without consulting me.
When she used to call me at work and someone else answered she was always referred to as "the bride" and it kind of stuck.

If she is pissed she can always continue to use her 09 CRV. My daughter just started driving so the 09 will go to her. She knew that the van was going bye bye so I figured I'd pull the trigger now while she was out of town for a few days. Now I can finally drive my Accord on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your bride is a very lucky lady. My wife and I were just looking at an EX CRV. Yesterday my son was involved in a three car accident on the freeway and my 2000 Accord V6 Coupe was the middle car. I'm fairly certain my insurance company will total the Accord and give us some money which I will put towards a CRV for the wife and give my son the 07 Fit.

Your wife will love the CVT combined with the Earth Dreams I4. I get a solid 30 MPG in mixed city and freeway driving.
Sorry about your son, hope everyone is ok. Hope this isn't the start of another "saga."

This will be our third CRV and she really doesn't care about cars but I really want her to be able to have the technlogy as I've always had LX models of our other CRV's. My thoughts were that CRV's are keepers so this one could be passed down to my daughters eventually and having the safety features was important to me.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
@14v6, Congrats on the new bride and the new CRV. You know her better than others and she'll probably be pretty happy!!

@Flyboy, Man what can one say. Another auto related incident to deal with so soon. Most importantly though...........Flyson is ok!!

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Sorry about your son, hope everyone is ok. Hope this isn't the start of another "saga."

This will be our third CRV and she really doesn't care about cars but I really want her to be able to have the technlogy as I've always had LX models of our other CRV's. My thoughts were that CRV's are keepers so this one could be passed down to my daughters eventually and having the safety features was important to me.
My son is fine and I don't think this will turn into another saga because I'm afraid the insurance company will want to total the car rather than fix it.

My wife doesn't want the leather interior but wants the moon roof which means she wants the EX.

BTW The CRV has the same power train as in the I4 Accord which should give her the same or better milage than she is getting on the Fit. The Fit will suite my son just fine going back and forth to college.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My son is fine and I don't think this will turn into another saga because I'm afraid the insurance company will want to total the car rather than fix it.

My wife doesn't want the leather interior but wants the moon roof which means she wants the EX.

BTW The CRV has the same power train as in the I4 Accord which should give her the same or better mileage than she is getting on the Fit. The Fit will suite my son just fine going back and forth to college.
The EX is by far the best value it has everything that matters except the safety features. I basically paid up for this. Couldn't care less about wheels, nav, leather, power liftgate even sunroof. I was able to get them down to 500 under invoice on the EX or Touring

Flyboy, you will have the most leverage between now and July 4 to get a good deal and with your customer service/consumer acumen a lot is working in your favor now.

I know it's an Accord forum so I will shut up now. Thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Another huge success will probably be that HR-V 1.8L CVT. 31 combined FWD. $26K leatherette and nav.

·
Registered
603 Posts

glad your sons ok, hope his insurance doesn't increase because of this, I had my insurance increase because someone backed into my accord while parked, even though I have no idea how that works, but on a side note, I think you should change your signature :|

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The dealership was out of control yesterday. People love new products there was A LOT of interest in the Pilot and HRV. There was nowhere to sit and funny I asked sales guy to save me from the F & I person as I wasn't about to buy a protection plan or accessories from the dealer. Customers were lined up to see the F&I department so they gave me a pass.

Through this whole process I was amazed at the variable quality of the personnel at some of these dealerships. I never go to a dealership until they give me a price over the internet. Some just give you pre written one keystroke emails. Some are very prompt and have great follow up. One dealership sent me an email with a 4 Runner Limited for $0, unbelievable. Even my dealership whose internet department I contacted in which I clicked "get quote" did not give me a quote initially. Some took 6 hours between responses, some worked after hours very efficiently.

When I got home form the dealership after purchasing the CRV, I checked my email and one of the Toyota dealerships that I originally approached came back with a better offer which matched my original proposal. Darn

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
I have two points to make here,

1) Im sad to realised a MT car got crashed between two vehicles.

2) I doubt Flyboy's wife's Fit is equipped a MT, which means his son will probably stop driving a MT! Dam! :(

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Flyboy, have you ever considered an HRV? If I'm not mistaken, it equipped with a CVT, AWD, and get better MPG than CRV?
We looked at the HRV and it's not that much bigger than the Fit and only a couple of thousand less than the CRV.

I have two points to make here,

1) Im sad to realised a MT car got crashed between two vehicles

2) I doubt Flyboy's wife's Fit is equipped a MT, which means his son will probably stop driving a MT! Dam! :(
The 2000 Accord V6 only came with an automatic. My wife's Fit is a five speed automatic. My son has zero interest in shifting gears. Most kids his age don't have the love affair with the automobile like we baby boomers had when we came of age in the 1960s and 70s.

All this blather about the CVT transmission's faults are only being expressed by the few members who don't drive automatic Accords and are car enthusiasts. They bemoan the CAFE fuel standards that probably won't be met with the 1970s technology that they so dearly love. Car and Driver magazine is popular in urology office waiting rooms. Road and Track are popular in gerontology offices. :devil

Probably the V6 and the manual transmission will be the first victims in the tenth generation Accord. They will probably be replaced by a turbo charged I4 and a CVT transmission with paddle shifters. Goodbye MT and V6.

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
Wow congrats, I was wondering why you were so curious about my impressions of the CVT lol. Let us know how she like's it. My understanding is the CVT in the CRV is different than that in the Accord... maybe not mechanically but the software logic.

·
HK Moderator
14,092 Posts
We looked at the HRV and it's not that much bigger than the Fit and only a couple of thousand less than the CRV.

Car and Driver magazine is popular in urology office waiting rooms. Road and Track are popular in gerontology offices.
I have two cousins (Detroit and Chicago) who are urologists and can personally attest to and validate Flyboy's observation about Car and Driver magazine subscribers.

Happy that Flyson is OK....

·
2013 Accord V6-6MT
2,885 Posts
All this blather about the CVT transmission's faults are only being expressed by the few members who don't drive automatic Accords and are car enthusiasts. They bemoan the CAFE fuel standards that probably won't be met with the 1970s technology that they so dearly love. Car and Driver magazine is popular in urology office waiting rooms. Road and Track are popular in gerontology offices. :devil
And what magazines do you find in the proctologist's office.....

.....where you find the content for such posts?

Edited to say: This post was apparently edited by a mod to remove my reference to the body part where Flyboy sourced the content of his post.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, just picked up from dealer. Drove about 15 miles.

The CVT is not what I expected, it feels like an automatic when you give it some gas when going 40 mph or so and feels like it steps down a gear. It has the feel of driving a V8 from the 70's where the engine doesn't rev much but the torque of the engine just propels the car down the road and the mph goes up. From a dead stop and flooring it, it is a pig, feels like an Olds cutlass from the late 70's early 80's until like 40 mph when it gets moving. Highway merging on parkways with short entrance ramps I don't think this car would do to well. Doesn't have the feeling that you need VTEC to kick in or rev the crap out of it to make some forward progress. For me this is good because I like torque. It will be a great commuter car and I would bet the ranch that my wife will love it. It basically revs between 1k and 2k for normal driving going down the roadway. I could not detect any vibration at idle but the powertrain didn't feel silky smooth, I'm thinking that the CVT will loosen up a bit.

I don't think that carving canyons for fun is something that I would go out of my way to do with this car. The CRV has a perfect seating position the visibility out back is much better in the 09 than the 15 due to the motor for the power liftgate. The build quality of the 15 CRV Touring is much better than my 14 AccordV6 and the CRV feels quieter. Believe it or not the stereo is even worse than the 14 Accord V6. Our 09 CRV feels more lively and like it handles better.

I think Honda definitely hit the sweet spot here on this one. It definitely not for an enthusiast but ironically for someone like me it would make me a better driver because there is nothing to listen for or get excited about. You just go down the road in a somewhat smooth and efficient manner. If this car holds up we will be very, very happy. The perfect car for me is probably an RDX with a DCT. Will they build one?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts