Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at several sites for HID colors... can't seem to figure out what would be a blueish color. Some of the sites are around 6k, some are around 8k,

Which bulb would give me a light blue kind of look? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I just want a light blue look, anything more blue will get myself a ticket :p

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Leased a VW_My life ****s
2,105 Posts
5000K + 6mo. usage = 6000k to 7000k.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
yrmed is totallllly correct. i got 6000k's & after a few months, i noticed a distinctly more intense blue hue. i took pics inside the garage when installed. i took pics 3 months later & the cut off lines clearly show more blue than when first installed. why this happens, i have absolutely no idea. so, if you want slight blue, go for the 5k's. eventually, they will become even bluer. unless yrmed & i have the same hid kit & it is unique to our kits alone. i have heard this phenomenon occur on diff cars, as well. so, it is doubtful that the kit has anything to do with it. it more likely results from the bulb itself breaking in or whatever, i have no idea.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yrmed is totallllly correct. i got 6000k's & after a few months, i noticed a distinctly more intense blue hue. i took pics inside the garage when installed. i took pics 3 months later & the cut off lines clearly show more blue than when first installed. why this happens, i have absolutely no idea. so, if you want slight blue, go for the 5k's. eventually, they will become even bluer. unless yrmed & i have the same hid kit & it is unique to our kits alone. i have heard this phenomenon occur on diff cars, as well. so, it is doubtful that the kit has anything to do with it. it more likely results from the bulb itself breaking in or whatever, i have no idea.
Would that because the bulb is approaching the end of it's life span? I did some checking online and the bulbs have a lifespan of around 2,000 hours? I'm not 100% sure as I just read it on another forum but can anyone confirm the bulbs changing colors?

·
4 door Coupe
984 Posts
it also depends on what brand. ive had 5k's that look like 4300k. ive had 6k's that look like 5k's. im on philips ultinon 6k right now, and they look flourecent white.

·
(ノ ̄д ̄)&#1
1,015 Posts
Yes. The color shift is from the bulb's lifespan decreasing. This is why OEM HIDs appear bluer in terms of output if someone hasn't changed the bulbs since the car was first bought.

Also, if you want a blue look that won't get you in trouble, buying at 6000K would be the best bet since...

4300K = OEM yellowish white
5000K = Pure white
6000K = White with a hint of blue
8000K = Straight up blue

The shades may vary, though, depending on the quality of the bulbs. If it's marked 6000K but looks really blue, either the bulbs are pretty old or it's something with the salts.

Also another thing: 35w ballasts will produce the intended color from the bulbs and 35w is also wattage on OEM ballasts. 55w ballasts will also wash out the color in bulbs, making them seem lighter than their intended color (i.e., 55w ballasts + 6000K bulbs = 5000K color more or less) as well as shorten the bulb's lifespan.

·
NYC-718
185 Posts
i have 30,000k in my 09 coupe and there straight blue.. when im driving everyones license plates(NY) light up purple.. and it also blinds the cars driving toward me on the opposite side of the street.. funny but very illegal but im a police officer and cops dont write cops tickets.. another reason why i have 5% tint all around plus windshield tint 20%..

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i have 30,000k in my 09 coupe and there straight blue.. when im driving everyones license plates(NY) light up purple.. and it also blinds the cars driving toward me on the opposite side of the street.. funny but very illegal but im a police officer and cops dont write cops tickets.. another reason why i have 5% tint all around plus windshield tint 20%..
Haha, lucky you, I want to tint all around so bad :notworthy

Yes. The color shift is from the bulb's lifespan decreasing. This is why OEM HIDs appear bluer in terms of output if someone hasn't changed the bulbs since the car was first bought.

Also, if you want a blue look that won't get you in trouble, buying at 6000K would be the best bet since...

4300K = OEM yellowish white
5000K = Pure white
6000K = White with a hint of blue
8000K = Straight up blue

The shades may vary, though, depending on the quality of the bulbs. If it's marked 6000K but looks really blue, either the bulbs are pretty old or it's something with the salts.

Also another thing: 35w ballasts will produce the intended color from the bulbs and 35w is also wattage on OEM ballasts. 55w ballasts will also wash out the color in bulbs, making them seem lighter than their intended color (i.e., 55w ballasts + 6000K bulbs = 5000K color more or less) as well as shorten the bulb's lifespan.
I see, thanks for clearing it up, I'll be going with the 6000k 35w then. :thmsup:

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
And another reason people hate cops.

·
Civic Crusher
208 Posts
4300-5000K

6000K is not very visible in wet weather

I have 4300K55WFOGs but stuck with 6000K35Wlows
+1 you cannot see anything when its raining with 6k or above im switching to 4500k for better brightness, i would suggest the OP do the same as well

·
Autobot Gunner
417 Posts
Thanks for the clarification on color temperature. I'm looking for a white look, so I'm thinking of getting 5000K, problem is I dont want HIDs, I'd rather get replacement halogens. But all the ones I've seen list them in the 4300K range, which won't look much different from OEM, so whats the point?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts

·
4 door Coupe
984 Posts
+1 you cannot see anything when its raining with 6k or above im switching to 4500k for better brightness, i would suggest the OP do the same as well

im very impressed with how well i see at night in the rain with 6k ultinons :thmsup:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts