Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a 2010 accord coupe lx-s and the stock headlights just are not bright enough for me. I'm looking into HID conversion kits and I was wondering if I should try to install it myself or have a professional do it for me. I am slowly getting into doing more to my car myself but to be honest I have never done anything like taking off a bumper or even a wheel for that matter.

Is this a doable job for me?

Also any opinions on a kit? I was looking at the retro solutions Digital HID kit, 35 watt, 5000k. Keep in mind that I won't be able to connect anything directly to my battery because the guy in service said that will void my warranty on the battery. ( I know there is a law preventing that but the guy has cut me a lot of deals in the last year or two so I don't want to fight him over this)

Sorry for such a long post but thanks in advance guys!

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
It won't void your warranty. Lol Damn stealerships just remove it from the battery before bringing it in to Honda they won't know you had something connected directly to the battery.

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
Piece of cake bro do your research on youtube videos and do it ur self

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 2c.
I would advise against blinding everyone with HIDs in reflector headlights :(
But if you do want to get it done, do it yourself. literally gotta plug in a few connectors and you're done. just mount the HID ballast somewhere safe and secure.

Remove it when there is something wrong with your battery or if you're taking it in for the warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 2c.
I would advise against blinding everyone with HIDs in reflector headlights :(
But if you do want to get it done, do it yourself. literally gotta plug in a few connectors and you're done. just mount the HID ballast somewhere safe and secure.

Remove it when there is something wrong with your battery or if you're taking it in for the warranty.
I own a coupe so, from what I understand, it has projectors already. Granted they are halogen not HID but I really can't afford a retrofit to be honest.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It won't void your warranty. Lol Damn stealerships just remove it from the battery before bringing it in to Honda they won't know you had something connected directly to the battery.
I know it won't technically void the warranty but the manager at my dealer has been great to myself and my family over the years so I feel kind of obligated to be honest about that stuff. The kit would still work fine without the relay to the battery right?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a coupe so, from what I understand, it has projectors already. Granted they are halogen not HID but I really can't afford a retrofit to be honest.
I have the same coupe with projector headlights and 8k xenondepot HIDs. The look great and blind no one.

As of doing it yourself, super simple but easiest is to take off the bumper that takes like 5 minutes. 1-10 difficulty, I would say a 4 or 5.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I got a set of 35w 6k HID's from DDM tuning for about $50 shipped. Def an upgrade from the stock bulbs for sure. Plus the install took about 10-15min, just go through the wheel well. You might have to adjust the projector a bit to get the alignment right but its very easy and easily accessible.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The one thing about DDM tuning, you get what you pay for. They look good, but their lifetime warranty is BS. They won't pick up the phone and will not email you back either. KBcarstuff sell the xenondepot and with the forum discount I paid $85 shipped, a little more, but they are a US company with lifetime warranty and they will pick up the phone AND Danny from Xenondepot is a vendor here which will prob chime in and can help you out.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I will say do it yourself and put on a relay. It is better to lose a warranty in the battery and get a new one that mess up something in the electric system. I am not saying that hids will burn your electric but it is always good to prevent just in case.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just installed my HIDs a couple weeks ago. I am pretty new to working on cars also and honestly it was a PITA and took the better part of 2 days. The bumper isn't too bad but make sure you buy replacement clips because there are a ton of them you have to take off and a bunch of the ones on my car broke. What took the most time was making sure everything was secured so nothing would rattle or wear. (I probably went overboard on this, even using some JB-Weld to mount the ballasts)

It was all worth it though as it makes a big difference in visibility. I have heard that the coupes handle the HIDs much better without a retrofit as they have a better cutoff.

·
Fear The Turtle!
1,883 Posts
I vote do it yourself and get a QUALITY kit up front, you will thank me later. I know a lot of people flame installing HIDs in halogen reflector lenses but I haven't seen them create any scatter that would blind incoming drivers like a reflector bowl will. They don't put out as nice a beam pattern as a dedicated HID projector but I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
Zenex standard ballast. 18 a piec. You'll thank me later:lmao:

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
+1 on Xenon Depot (aka kbcarstuff) super quality, DA discount and free relay kit for forum members. 4300k will produce the most usable light.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I will say do it yourself and put on a relay. It is better to lose a warranty in the battery and get a new one that mess up something in the electric system. I am not saying that hids will burn your electric but it is always good to prevent just in case.
This is another thing to take into account, as Jeskmo said, DDM Tuning and most of the the other kits out there, is just the bulbs and the ballast. Xenondepot HIDs come with the ballast and a Relay attached to the wiring already.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So what is the best way to install HIDs? Going through the wheel well or taking off the bumper?

I've heard that you have to be careful pulling the bumper off after removing all the plastic clips and the screws because you could brake one of the clips attached to the body or something.

·
Running NYC
991 Posts
I myself went through the wheel well and I have done a few this way! Clean install with the ballast secure and close to the Headlight!.Turn the wheel to into the car to give you room, Remove the clips around the wheel well and I think there is one Phillips head screw there too. After that just do the install as you wish I suggest some zip ties and 3m tape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So what is the best way to install HIDs? Going through the wheel well or taking off the bumper?

I've heard that you have to be careful pulling the bumper off after removing all the plastic clips and the screws because you could brake one of the clips attached to the body or something.
Either way is fine, by removing the bumper, you have a lot more space and you move things around and place the ballast and the relay where you want it to be, but it is more work.

With the wheel well, all it is, remove the Philip screw on both sides of the wheel well and move the rubber cover out the way and get in there. It is more uncomfortable and you don't have a lot of room to play with.

The good thing about removing the bumper, 1. you get practice on how its removed, 2. you have more room and 3. you get to see how things are wired and where things sit and are placed in that area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I myself went through the wheel well and I have done a few this way! Clean install with the ballast secure and close to the Headlight!.Turn the wheel to into the car to give you room, Remove the clips around the wheel well and I think there is one Phillips head screw there too. After that just do the install as you wish I suggest some zip ties and 3m tape.
I think I'm going to do it through the wheel well. So I install the HIDs in this way, how do I align them? Will they need to be aligned?

·
Wisdom Born of Age
1,750 Posts
While you "can" get in thru the fender it may actually take you longer. If you take off the bumper you will have an easier time of mounting the ballasts and easier time seating the bulbs properly, but it's up to you. You can adjust the height etc easy enough by lifting the hood.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts