Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forum. I have a headlight out and I was thinking about converting to HID if its not too expensive. I know they have some cheap kits out there, but I don't know about this kind of stuff. Are any of the lower end kits worth while or should I just stick to the standard silverstar halogens? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
If you really must, DDM Tuning makes some great kits and offer lifetime warranty.

http://ddmtuning.com/

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Installing HIDs in the halogen housings is illegal, even though many still do it. You will get an improper beam pattern in the halogen housing because they are not designed for a HID bulb. But the main issue is that the excessive glare will be blinding to oncoming traffic. The power draw on the HIDs will also put the electrical system at risk. You can use a power relay to draw off the battery, but if you have any electrical issue with the car, Honda won't even touch it because of the HIDs.

If you want to do it right, you have the spend some good money for projector housings. Then at least you will get the proper beam that a HID will deliver, and it won't be illegal.

You are better off with a halogen bulb replacement.

·
(ノ ̄д ̄)&#1
1,015 Posts
Installing HIDs in the halogen housings is illegal, even though many still do it. You will get an improper beam pattern in the halogen housing because they are not designed for a HID bulb. But the main issue is that the excessive glare will be blinding to oncoming traffic. The power draw on the HIDs will also put the electrical system at risk. You can use a power relay to draw off the battery, but if you have any electrical issue with the car, Honda won't even touch it because of the HIDs.

If you want to do it right, you have the spend some good money for projector housings. Then at least you will get the proper beam that a HID will deliver, and it won't be illegal.

You are better off with a halogen bulb replacement.
+1

There are some projectors out there that are pretty budget-friendly such as the Mini Morimoto projectors that are friendly with beginner retrofitters as well as some OEM projectors that, when modded, produce an output with color and cutoffs that rival more expensive projectors.

·
(ノ ̄д ̄)&#1
1,015 Posts
Bad thing to stick HIDs in the high beam because more likely that not, if you flash highs or have DRLs, it's going to kill the HID bulbs faster.

Those are projectors, but more likely than not, halogen projectors. Worse case, halogen fog projectors. Sure, people still use them for HIDs, but halogen projectors are just that: halogen projectors. The reflective bowl is different for halogen projectors vs. xenon projectors due to the different hot spots from the bulbs. There will still be glare produced from HIDs in halogen projectors, but limited by the cutoff.

The other worry is that, more often than not, aftermarket headlights/projectors are of poor quality. You may get lucky and get one that's perfectly fine, or you may be unlucky and get one that either melts from the heat over or from other faults.

Do it right the first time and save up for retrofits. OEM-grade headlights, OEM-grade projectors, and can customize it any way you want from painting, smoke/black out reflectors, add in your own halos or LED strips, etc. There are budget-friendly kits out there that help save on costs for the overall projector that will still lead to better performing headlights that are better quality.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts