Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
2010 Accord Coupe
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My history with HIDs goes way back to 2010, when I first purchased my 2010 Accord Coupe. In August 2014 I installed my third pair of eBay brand HIDs with a harness and all. 35W. They lasted me till last night, when suddenly both of them stopped working. I am sure its a wiring or fuse issue. However, many people have told me that I should lose the harness and go with the plug and play kit. After three failed attempts with a harness, I think I should give this a try.

Anyone want to share their thoughts? What kind of HID kits are you guys running? Are you satisfied? Do you recommend harness/no harness. Any suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your first problem is installing HID kit into OEM headlights.

Your second problem is buying a generic, no-name, Chinese HID kit off of ebay.

Your third problem is you didn't give us enough information about the HID kit or the wiring harness you're using. What components did the harness come with? Who installed it? Have you checked the harness for any defects? Have you done any troubleshooting other than "does it turn on?"

·
2010 Accord Coupe
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your first problem is installing HID kit into OEM headlights.

Your second problem is buying a generic, no-name, Chinese HID kit off of ebay.

Your third problem is you didn't give us enough information about the HID kit or the wiring harness you're using. What components did the harness come with? Who installed it? Have you checked the harness for any defects? Have you done any troubleshooting other than "does it turn on?"
I installed it myself. It came with no defects. I haven't had the time to do any other troubleshooting as they have stopped turning on since last night.

What kind of HID kit do you suggest?

Here is the kit I ran for the last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
409 Posts
I suggest OEM HID retrofit or nothing. I'm not a fan of HID kits because they all are inferior to OEM. Always. Every single one of them.

·
Wisdom Born of Age
2,375 Posts
If it was a single relay for two lights, that's a fail waiting to happen. It always confuses the hell out of me how people can plunk down tens of thousands of dollars for their ride and cheap out on electronic mods

·
Registered
3 Posts
Heres what i have for my 9thgen accord and my 2010 mercedes glk no problem i would suggest these at xeпoпpгo.com and they have discounts really good product i installed them both myself and because of the discounts they have i got the warning canceller and 55 w output

·
Corvalis TTX
5,575 Posts
Ditch the HID kit and put H9 bulbs in place of your OEM H11 bulb. You'll have more usable light than you will with any HID kit and you won't have reliability issues.

Aftermarket HID kits are basically a band aid solution and should be avoided.

College..
Weak excuse. You claim you bought your car brand new in 2010. That's pretty impressive for a college student ...

·
Just here for the food
1,873 Posts
Well. Sans the fuss, I haven't ever used a relay harness. Not even before I did my retrofit. Only problem I've had in the past was with bad bulbs (corroded pins, just bad glass, etc) and that's literally THE only problem I've ever had with HIDs. Not to mention that this was last year sometime. Been running HIDs since last August myself. Or September. Don't remember lol.

I've been skeptical of those unbranded HID kits from day two (because on day one I was like "oh crap, cool!" then I realized "yeah those are garbage" after doing research). Then I stumbled across the Innovited kit, that I now have ben using for almost a year. Couldn't find a website for them, which was a red flag for me, but... read a lot of very helpful reviews on Amazon. I also learned about AC/DC kits and which would be better to get (AC), as well as 35w vs 55w (35w is the way). And, of course, I got heckled for gloating about getting the kit and installing it into my halogen reflector housings. But I didn't know any better back then.

Then came the retrofit. And I still use the same Innovited ballasts... well technically, a replacement set I got in January (just because). I still have the ones from way back when
though. :cool:

Currently using 5500k Morimoto XBs in my MH1s and they look great. They're look to be a lot closer to 5000k, I'd say, than they are to 6000k (more yellow-white than blue/pure-white). I love them though!

Anyway, there's a couple other guys that are using Innovited kits here on the forum and enjoy it! So ditch that mess you got and get an Innovited kit. Or go big and do a full HID projector retrofit with the Morimoto XB 3Five kit. Or the Mini H1s with the Innovited kit like I did.

OR

You can do the 9012 mod! Or H9, I think

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you don't really have the time or money on it like I did, get a plug n play set from DDMtuпiпg. I've used them for 5 years now, on 4 of my cars and my dad's car. I recommended them to all my friends. Only one of my friends got a DOA ballast and they sent him a new one. Only problem is the bulb colors are off by slightly, as in 6000K is basically pure white with no blue, while 8000K looks like what 6000K looks like for other brands. My bulb lasted about 4 years on a 55W kit. They're about 35 a kit plus shipping. But hey like those guys said, this is the easier way out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts