Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after reading a lot I found that the coupe comes with projectors so when installing an HID kit the light output has a very even cutoff and it doesnt blind oncoming traffic. Am I right?

If so my question is what HID kit would you guys reccomend me for the lowbeams. Im thinking of getting 6000k but I havent decided between 35w or 55w. Which one would you recommend? I would rather avoid the harness and relay stuff but is ok if that the best option. Also which make or where can I get them online from a site with good rep. Thanks

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
So after reading a lot I found that the coupe comes with projectors so when installing an HID kit the light output has a very even cutoff and it doesnt blind oncoming traffic. Am I right?
No, you're not entirely correct. Installing HID projectors will have an even cutoff and won't blind oncoming traffic. This does not apply to halogen projectors with HID bulbs, such as the ones that your car is equipped with.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Yes, the projectors are the same as your car. It seems as though the general consensus on this forum is that PnP HID kits are the work of satan in non-HID housings so I thought I would lay the groundwork.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not my intention to interfere with forum traditions haha.
Just need some advise on the type of kit, wattage and where to get em. Im a noob when it comes to cars but I'm excited for this one. Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
The information above is accurate that HID projectors are not the same as halogen projectors. That said, the halogen projectors you have will have a good cutoff w an HID kit, but there will still be glare and uneven light output doe to the point source of the light being different in each bulb.

IMO the better solution is to use OSRAM Sylvania zXe bulbs. They are very white (5000K IIRC) and quite bright.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I will pass on the OSRAMs. I rather go HID. Thanks anyways

·
Registered
202 Posts
I chose the XenonDepot Extreme Digital HID kit about 9 months ago and am very satisfied. As for the glare, nothing's worse than the OEM Ford or GM pickup trucks, so you shouldn't worry too much. I get the odd flash of the lights but not frequently. It's a great improvement as the OEM halogen low beams are a bit weak.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I chose the XenonDepot Extreme Digital HID kit about 9 months ago and am very satisfied. As for the glare, nothing's worse than the OEM Ford or GM pickup trucks, so you shouldn't worry too much. I get the odd flash of the lights but not frequently. It's a great improvement as the OEM halogen low beams are a bit weak.
Sounds great, you got 35 or 55w? Relay harness or ot? Thx

Bump

·
Registered
83 Posts
Got a pair of 35w 6k's from ddm; about $50, and have had no issues so far. Like others mentioned, there is a slight glare but it is almost unnoticeable. I have mine set moderately low and have not had any issues with other drivers or even police.

I would stay away from 55w because they tend to be brighter than necessary and burn hotter, which could end up damaging the housing. Also I wouldn't go anything over 6k.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You also shouldn't need a relay with 35W.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just got em on ebay 6000k 35W with slim digital ballasts for 30 bucks with a 2 year warranty. Doesnt seem that bad huh.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
Just got em on ebay 6000k 35W with slim digital ballasts for 30 bucks with a 2 year warranty. Doesnt seem that bad huh.
You get what you pay for....

(From experience...)

·
Registered
107 Posts
the key to doing this without extra annoyance is to mount the balasts somewhere you can easily get to them to swap them out. In my experience the cheap kits can be fine, but you get a high % of bad ballasts. I have a set of Ebay Xentec HID's in the fogs of another car I have, and I went through (4) I think before I got 2 solid ones. The good news is once I had 2 good ones, I had no additional issues. The ones I have in there now are 3 years and 50k miles old...but the first 6 weeks was irritating.

Also, 6000k is a little blue, so if your goal is the best possible visibility, you might consider trying some 4300k bulbs. They're whiter and better re: light output. If you like the bit of blue to them from an appearance standpoint, 6000K isn't a bad compromise between appearance and function.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A buddy at work helped me installed DDM 35w HID's, and they work great except one shuts off occasionally if I'm using the auto-headlight mode and the lights are on when I start the car.

It sucks, but I basically have to use the lights in non-auto mode (which pisses my wife off haha).

The first thing I noticed was the sharp cutoff in the night, I think from a functional perspective for our cars the halogen's spread light much better - which is to be expected. Light output with "real" HID projectors, like in my previous '08 TSX, was spread beautifully.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No issues in Auto mode at all. They work beautifully except for a small flickering in the drivers side wich is almost unnoticeable. You have to really watch carefully where the beam hits and you can see it. But barely. Got 6k and indeed they are a bit blue which I didnt expect but Im satisfied.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yes, the projectors are the same as your car. It seems as though the general consensus on this forum is that PnP HID kits are the work of satan in non-HID housings so I thought I would lay the groundwork.
Agreed. Putting hids in reflectors is not okay with anyone but you can put them in halogen projectors as it seems most people are okay with. The halogen projectors are okay for hids in the coupe, cutoff is okay. I would stick to the halogen bulbs. Markus had a good post showing how to modify better bulbs into the stock housing.

·
Freelance Gynecologist
215 Posts
Buy 2 H9 bulbs, modify them to fit (5 minutes of work), and double your light output.

About 15 bucks and 15 minutes of work.

·
Automagic V6 Coupe
17 Posts
Just installed 35w 5000k DDMTUNING HiD kit in my car. Beautiful. No complaints. The color is perfect in my opinion, tiny tiny hint of blue but mostly white. As far as light output I feel like it poops on my old halogens. This could also be the fact that its winter and white snow lights up like crazy with the HiDs. Havent gotten flashed or had any complaints from any other drivers. DDMTUNING kits I wouldnt say are top of the line. Just around 50$ shipped with a life time warranty, cant argue with that.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts