Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda crazy, nobody I know has heard of this happening but:

I installed HIDs yesterday and everything seemed fine. Then I get in the car this morning and the left light doesn't fire. So I figure I need a relay or whatever...but here's the weird part...as I'm driving the bulb starts like strobe flickering and the car stalls. First time in 7 months and 16k it has ever stalled. Has to be the lights, but doesn't really make sense. Then tonight, I get in, turn on the car, and the minute I turn the headlights on the car stalls.

Wtf?

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Check ur terminals. Usually that's cuz the terminals aren't tight enough. That's happened on plenty cars. Actually last week happened to me I took my terminals off to clean them and didn't tighten enough. I was on the parkway doing about 110mph and flicked the lights on and the car ****in stalled. Scared the shit outta me. It kept starting itself back up because its stick and it was in gear so it was push starting itself until I took outta gear and rolled to the shoulder.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Nah its just my shitty terminals. They are super corroded. I don't have that red + cap on the terminal cuz it snapped off way back. Once I tightened it it was fine. I remembered afterward that I didn't really tighten after cleaning cuz I knocked something over and never went back to tightening. I just bought that red terminal cap actuall to see if that helps with the corrosion at all. It was literally building up every few weeks. I've seen it happen on plenty of cars though. Most commonly with people tweaking their newly installed subs and not tighting enough. My bet is check that first.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Ah, you didn't say it was battery terminals! I thought you were referring to the HID connector terminals......

It's worth checking especially if OP did remove the battery terminals for whatever reason during the HID install.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn't touch the battery terminals. Not sure on the brand but a good friend of mine owns a shop and has installed countless numbers of these with very few issues...and never this one.

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Ah, you didn't say it was battery terminals! I thought you were referring to the HID connector terminals......

It's worth checking especially if OP did remove the battery terminals for whatever reason during the HID install.
Yeah that was my guess.. He did say its been a while but who knows.. worth trying. sounds like thats what it is unless something else is going on there with charging system/battery

·
04 Accord V6 6spd
402 Posts
Didn't touch the battery terminals. Not sure on the brand but a good friend of mine owns a shop and has installed countless numbers of these with very few issues...and never this one.
You never touched the terminals? Have you ever taken it for any service where someone else would've touched it? Are you using a relay harness? You might as well check them anyway if you have no other leads. Take it off and when you put it back on push and twist just to kinda make sure its in perfectly. Can you start the car with the lights on and keep it running? Like turn lights on before car. Hids draw a lot of power when starting up but use significantly less while running. If they stay on with the car on when u start the lights before the car, its gotta be a connection or something. If they don't at all, you might have a short somwhere-maybe wires melted together or exposed. If you're running right off the battery chances are its not fused so if there was a short you'd never know except when theyre on

If u can't figure it out go to advance auto and have them do the free charge system test. They'll have you run ur car and turn everything on and stuff and tell you the amps ur battery puts out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts