Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I know this topic has been well covered on here but there is a lot of mixed information. I want to get a nice HID upgrade from my halogens but don't know what kind/accessories/relays/harnesses to get with it. I would rather spend a bit on an HID kit that'll last me rather than a 30 dollar eBay kit. If you guys could help me out that'd be great.

I know I want to go with 5000k as the color temperature, but I don't know what the difference between 35/55 watt systems are and all the other details. Thanks for the help in advance. :wave:

·
Registered
279 Posts
well i will say xenondepot hid are pretty good make sure to use a coupon I think is DA. they will give u a $25 off and harness for free. if u want to get a cheaper one, lots of people in here use ddm hid but I cant talk abt it because never own a pari of these.

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
You'll want a kit from The Retrofit Source. Wattage determines output at a certain bulb temp. Higher wattage decreases bulb life. I believe that the TRS kit includes a heavy duty harness. I've been through at least a dozen kits in about 4-5 cars and the TRS kit was by far the best. DDM has consistently been the worst that I've had as well as other people I know personally that have used them.

·
Marcus
156 Posts
DDM is great as a cheap set, I've have had mine in my lows for about a year and a half - left ballast died after a month, had it replaced and it's been running strong since. However, it does have some flickering issues and one won't turn on from time to time, but that's the price to pay for a cheap kit. That doesn't even matter since you don't want cheap - good call.

I have a 5000k Kensun kit in my fogs and I couldn't be happier. They're awesome. I tried the ballasts in my low beams and they fire up perfectly every time, never flicker or anything. They're $60 a set.. Had it for over a year and they're also running strong. Fantastic set of HIDs.

I would say you would definitely be safe with Morimoto and XenonDepot, but those kits are upwards of $120, I believe. Quote me if I'm mistaken. But from my experience, a 35w kit from Kensun is unbeatable for the quality and what you get for the price. Bright, fires up every time, crisp color.

Stick to 35w, 55w is brighter in the foreground, but you're essentially required a relay harness for the extra power it needs; the harness will prevent you from burning your factory harness.

35w is plenty, 55w produces way too much glare (like 35w doesn't already haha) but I'm not gonna give you a hard time about that because EVERYONE hates that shit. Except our beloved Markus.

·
Registered
164 Posts
ddm is a cheap kit but it is also worth it, but if you want something that will last you a lifetime get a morimoto kit or since you're in Canada I would go with a lumens hid kit it is designed for Canada. I had the lumens kit for my 09 and it worked great.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've had a volt kit from xenon depot on for a year. They have never flickered or had any issues starting. I believe I got the 4300k which looks like 5k, very clean. I just plugged it into my stock harness. The ballasts are silent as well no buzzing.

I had a ddm slim kit on my ms3. One of the ballasts would buzz pretty loudly, and one side also had issues igniting all the time. That is why I went with a more expensive kit on the accord.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to buy something cheap. If i'm going to buy a kit, i'm going to buy it once and do it properly. So would an HID Kit from Morimoto differ from XenonDepot? I've never bought/had an HID kit on a car of mine so I'm new to this

·
2009 accord ex 4 cylinder
692 Posts
well i will say xenondepot hid are pretty good make sure to use a coupon I think is DA. they will give u a $25 off and harness for free. if u want to get a cheaper one, lots of people in here use ddm hid but I cant talk abt it because never own a pari of these.
Volt kit from xenondepot is by far the best , and also the best warranty broda

·
Registered
107 Posts
On a side note, I assume you said that you want a 5000K color temp because you're more interested in good light v. looking cool. If that is the case, the one you want is the 4600K...these are the highest quality of light re: actually seeing stuff that you can get. Not that 5000K is bad, just that 4600K is better for illumination.

·
Registered
268 Posts
morimoto 35w from Theretrofitsource. Nothing better out there IMO. Ive had the kits from XenonDepot as well, and had no issues, but I'm impressed by the build quality on the Morimoto ballasts. Can't go wrong with either of those. Don't get 55W as they burn very hot and may cause issues in your stock headlight housings. 35w is plenty bright...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So i've decided to get some DDM HID's because one of my fogs died on my today and i dont wanna buy another halogen. So I looked online and found the 3000K 35W kit for 30 bills. However I don't know if I need the mounting bracket or the HID harness. Can someone please help me out and lemme know if I need it or not. I'd rather not waste my money for no reason. (PS i do plan on getting some HID's for the lowbeams and doing a retrofit in the future)

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Thanks in advance

·
RIP my Acorn
566 Posts
I don't know if I need the mounting bracket or the HID harness.
You don't need the brackets but you will need the harness since the OEM fog wiring is too weak to support HIDs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
it actually depends on the ballasts. The ballasts in our Xtreme HID kit do not require the use of a relay harness as the ballasts are low draw.

Steve
So is the Xtreme HID kit just plug and play? Do I need to buy anything else such as housing?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts