Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey thinking about getting a 5000k hid for my accord but dont want to waste time retrofitting it, would it work well with the stock housing? This is my first mod and any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
for the sedan or coupe?

im waiting to retrofit my sedan just to be on the safeside (and i personally prefer the clean look with projectors). there are guides/pics of HIDs in sedan housings, they look fine, but probably have glare.

EDIT: just by the way. i also tried out the Phillips x-treme vision bulbs. works great :) get 30-40% more sight (claims its +80%). and a slighter white look, but nowhere near HIDs, pretty much the same as stock but a 1 small shade whiter.

·
lol wut
570 Posts
You're wasting your time NOT retrofitting it and just slapping an HID kit in there if you drive a sedan. Either retrofit or get HIR bulbs.

EDIT: If you drive a coupe, slapping an HID kit is still iffy. Just because it comes with halogen projectors doesn't mean it's designed for HID, just something to consider.

·
Brake, Turn and POWER
401 Posts
Please, don't put HIDs in the stock housing. There're few guys driving with HID in Civics and Accords in my city, and every time I see them I just want to put like a flashlight right in front of their windshield because that's what I see lol but since I'm nice I just highbeam.

·
Registered
333 Posts
yes get a retro done or I might have mine up for sale if interested...:paranoid:

·
I Drive An Automatic ;D
654 Posts
yes get a retro done or I might have mine up for sale if interested...:paranoid:
how much would you be willing to sell them for and what projectors did you use? (i hope something good like tsx or morimoto)

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
What exactly is a retrofit?

·
Registered
389 Posts
You're wasting your time NOT retrofitting it and just slapping an HID kit in there if you drive a sedan. Either retrofit or get HIR bulbs.

EDIT: If you drive a coupe, slapping an HID kit is still iffy. Just because it comes with halogen projectors doesn't mean it's designed for HID, just something to consider.
Yes! with the HIR2 bulbs. I have a pair now in my sedan. Not only are they rated at 1800 lumens each (OEM = 1000), but they will last for 4-5 years. I bought the Philips version on Amazon, about $55/pair. But the brightness is a huge difference over my previous VisionPlus (supposedly 1080 lumens each) and OEM headlights.

And on top of that, since their filaments are aligned just like OEM 9006, the beam pattern and focus stays the same (nice cutoff), just brighter.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Is it really that bad of a cut off and glare if you use HIDs in the OEM halogen housings?

How much would it cost to retrofit your lights yourself and is it hard to DIY? Thanks :thmsup:

·
Corvalis TTX
5,594 Posts
Is it really that bad of a cut off and glare if you use HIDs in the OEM halogen housings?

How much would it cost to retrofit your lights yourself and is it hard to DIY? Thanks :thmsup:
Yes, the glare is that bad. The HID burner produces most of its light outside of the focal point of either reflector or halogen projectors. There's a great article on why HID kits are dangerous and illegal here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts