Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What HID lights can i add to my car? just purchased a used 2005 EX-L accord and i want to make it look nice :] should i just replace the bulbs or get the entire kit? how much would both options run me and what are the benefits of both?

·
7th Gear
3,424 Posts
Welcome to DA.

Use the Search button at the top.

Headlights
Showing results 1 to 25 of 371
Search took 0.43 seconds

:thmsup:

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,892 Posts
just purchased a used 2005 EX-L accord and i want to make it look nice :]
Something along the lines of new wheels, tint, lowering it, a lip kit, etc... will make it look nice. HIDs in a headlight housing not designed for it will just annoy people.

should i just replace the bulbs or get the entire kit?
Get new 9006 bulbs (i.e. Philips HIR2 or Philips X-Treme Power) or do a retrofit. As people will tell you, do it right, or don't do it at all.

- Philips HIR2 on sale at Amazon for $18.32 (you need 2) right now: link

- Philips X-treme Power on sale for $29.89 with a $10 rebate: link

You can save 10% by going to Toys R Us to buy an Amazon gift card. Gift cards are 10% off.

what are the benefits of both?
Benefit of a retrofit or proper replacement bulbs: You don't blind the shit out of people/drivers in front of you and oncoming traffic.

If you have anymore questions on HIDs, just ask the Dr., Dr. Search

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,808 Posts
None.

Unless you plan on retrofitting projectors, a leveling mechanism and true HID bulbs.

Please don't just any cheap crap off of eBay and use the US DOT reflectors. Other motorists will thank you.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
1,646 Posts
Get 43000 to 6000k the most. Nothing more. You will need to buy the kit.

Its really strange how my headlights never blinded any people :dunno:

·
Premium Member
4,174 Posts
Its really strange how my headlights never blinded any people :dunno:
Because like most people on the road they are afraid to flash their hi-beams at you. Any time I see someone with HID's without retro I flash them. Anytime I see someone with hi-beams on I flash them. Any time I see someone without headlights on when they should be, I turn my lights on/off. How many others do I see doing the same thing? Zero.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
1,646 Posts
Unless you've asked every single person you've pointed your headlights at, you cannot say that with 100% certainty.
True! but you find out overtime if your headlights are a problem for someone or not.

If I'm not afraid to flash at someone then why would the other person be scared to flash at me? I see people flash more nowadays and I personally flash whenever someone is going slow on the left lane so they could move out of the way.

·
Old DriveAccord Soul
1,808 Posts
I get all the time with my Mazda5s xenons. I feel like yelling out the window "They're stock ****!"

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thread is being derailed pretty quickly.

OP: As others have stated, the only proper way to use HID bulbs are with HID projectors. HID's in the stock housing create awful glare and don't provide you with the best lighting for the car. Something people on here can't seem to understand: Too much light infront of the vehicle isn't a good thing, it hurts your distance vision. Search Retrofit and you will see tons of posts from people who have done retrofits on their cars with step by steps on how to do it.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
1,646 Posts
Thread is being derailed pretty quickly.

OP: As others have stated, the only proper way to use HID bulbs are with HID projectors. HID's in the stock housing create awful glare and don't provide you with the best lighting for the car. Something people on here can't seem to understand: Too much light infront of the vehicle isn't a good thing, it hurts your distance vision. Search Retrofit and you will see tons of posts from people who have done retrofits on their cars with step by steps on how to do it.
Not in my car. You're right thread will get derailed pretty quick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Drive behind a friend and ask if your headlights blind them. You can put in just the bulbs and ballast into the stock setup but if you do that, go to autozone and buy some headlight cleaner, they all work the same and well. Once you've installed it all (don't pay for installation) just use a screwdriver to point your headlights down. Trust me, I've done it and all my friends say it doesn't blind them. Last thing I want to do is blind someone since I really hate it. So yeah, just point it down. And to do the installation yourself, turn your wheel all the way to the right, and go in through your left wheel. Then all the way to the left, and in through your right wheel. (You have to unscrew the flap that's there) but once that's done it's an easy install.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
624 Posts
Not in my car. You're right thread will get derailed pretty quick.
You have headlights designed for HID's (if you still have the inspires), if you're running stock USDM headlights than I suggest you keep that thing forever, it defies the laws of physics.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you replace the bulb, it won't be as bright and I think the bulbs would burn out quicker then if you were to get a kit, the kits are pretty cheap now a days, you can find an eBay kit anywhere from 50-100$, and 150$ if you want a really heavy duty one, but I bought a 90$ and it looks great, went strong for the last two years I had that car, its fully worth it. Makes it look a lot better then the oem lights.

·
Honda Racing Evolution
1,646 Posts
You have headlights designed for HID's (if you still have the inspires), if you're running stock USDM headlights than I suggest you keep that thing forever, it defies the laws of physics.
Was talking about my stock USDM when I had them on. Did you see my post #6.
Up to 6000k you should be fine since they are white. Idk if you ever notice but usually the pure blue hids are the ones that cause glare. Those are the ones that are beyond 8000k which will effect your distance vision and cause glare. 6000k are pure white had them in my SI. They don't cause glare and provide good visibility compare to stock. Even Philips makes Hid bulbs up to 6000k.

IMG_0012.jpg

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,892 Posts
the pure blue hids are the ones that cause glare. Those are the ones that are beyond 8000k which will effect your distance vision and cause glare. 6000k are pure white had them in my SI. They don't cause glare....
So it's the color temperature of a HID bulb and not the poorly projected light pattern by headlights not designed for HIDs that causes glare? I did not know that. Very informative.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So i should keep mine forever too lol? Mine don't glare, and put out light beautifully!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Was talking about my stock USDM when I had them on. Did you see my post #6.
Up to 6000k you should be fine since they are white. Idk if you ever notice but usually the pure blue hids are the ones that cause glare. Those are the ones that are beyond 8000k which will effect your distance vision and cause glare. 6000k are pure white had them in my SI. They don't cause glare and provide good visibility compare to stock. Even Philips makes Hid bulbs up to 6000k.

·
Registered
624 Posts
So i should keep mine forever too lol? Mine don't glare, and put out light beautifully!
And here I was thinking to myself, what are the chances MM49 gets one of those ULTRA-rare sets that don't cause glare, but you claim to also have a set? You are one lucky guy, keep 'em forever, they are truely priceless if your halogen designed lamps can house HID's without glare.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts