Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I thought I go over my experience tonight on this subject. I know this has been talked about before, but I didn't want this to be lost in the Lighting thread.

To start I reviewed what my options were. Living in the south where areas aren't always lit. I needed to be able to keep my high beams, but I wanted that clean white look. We all know that when installing LEDs as the DRL we lose highbeams. There isn't much you can do about this, but I believe I've found a good alternative that has met my needs.

I've seen others threads using some lower power DRL bulbs. The highest I believe I've seen is 20W on this forum. I decided to go with 50W. These bulbs can be found here. When getting these you still need to buy a decoder. Something like this is what I used. I have also purchased these through doing research on another thread. I belive these will run much cooler. Glen E has had experience withe these and mention in his thread that they produce little to no heat. The current ones get hotter then a mofo.

So onto the results after just one bulb installed. I would have both installed, but had a issue with one of the decoders. I shot these from my mobile phone.

Side by side:

Right DRL only:

Right Highbeam only:

Low beams only:

Lowbeam plus right Highbeam:

I apologize for the low quality pics. I don't own a "real" camera, but hopefully this helps some of you all that may want to do what I've done. The camera does some weird stuff with the lighting, even though the headlight washes out the high beam a bit, I can say in person the high beams look to be brighter then what is shown in the pictures. Even though these as high beams might not be as good as halogens, I think they are pretty acceptable. Once I get the decoder issue resolved, I will be able to do some real world testing with them. I'll be updating this with those results later.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When getting these you still need to buy a decoder. Something like this is what I used. I have also purchased these through doing research on another thread. I belive these will run much cooler. Glen E has had experience withe these and mention in his thread that they produce little to no heat. The current ones get hotter then a mofo.
So what did you end up using for your setup ?
this
or
these

I've been thinking about this as well and I am considering the VLEDs stuff: http://www.vleds.com/featured/cxa-led-headlights.html

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any chance of pics of low and high beams on a road at night?
Will get on that as soon as I get the decoder issues resolved. I believe they are going to send me a replacement for the non-functioning one.

So what did you end up using for your setup ?
this
or
these

I've been thinking about this as well and I am considering the VLEDs stuff: http://www.vleds.com/featured/cxa-led-headlights.html

I used the first ones, but when I get the other ones in (Ordered them today), I'll post a update. They should work the same way, but from what I read from this thread, glen e mention these run with little to no heat produced. The first ones get very hot. I'll put a heat gun to it later and find a temp for yall.

·
?????
218 Posts
these are much brighter. i currently have the 80w version installed on my DRL also no need for the canbus decoder and unnecessary wires in your bay. it comes installed internally! i been running the 80w version for about.. 1 full month now and no warnings are coming on. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Lig...qid=1378778629&sr=8-2&keywords=jtech+9005+led
these are much brighter. i currently have the 80w version installed on my DRL also no need for the canbus decoder and unnecessary wires in your bay. it comes installed internally! i been running the 80w version for about.. 1 full month now and no warnings are coming on. just my 2 cents.
I looked at those as well. I was just afraid 80w might be to bright.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
41 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Headlight-Lig...qid=1378778629&sr=8-2&keywords=jtech+9005+led
The price showing on Amazon, is that for a pair or for just one bulb ?
I can't tell from the description. Thanks.

·
Retired G-Man
776 Posts
Those 80w guys have got to be very hot.

Do you have any damage?

How long are they left on at a time?

·
Registered
133 Posts
What if I use them without the decoder, what will be the problem, and what about the H11 ones for the headlights?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Must be kidding right?

Pop hood. Reach in. Remove connector. Turn bulb. Remove. Replace bulb.
Why are you following me to answer all of my question in a rude way?! I don't know how to change that thing, I tried by my hand couldn't reach the high beam bulb! :thumbsdow

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why are you following me to answer all of my question in a rude way?! I don't know how to change that thing, I tried by my hand couldn't reach the high beam bulb! :thumbsdow
In the owners manual it shows how to do it. Not as simple as just reach in and turn if you have anything more than little girl hands. When swapping over to PIAA bulbs I almost gave up. I don't remember the exact way, but I know it was very easy once I read how to in the manual. Made me feel like a real noob :headbash:

·
Registered
133 Posts
In the owners manual it shows how to do it. Not as simple as just reach in and turn if you have anything more than little girl hands. When swapping over to PIAA bulbs I almost gave up. I don't remember the exact way, but I know it was very easy once I read how to in the manual. Made me feel like a real noob :headbash:
That was the problem I tried to reach down to the high beam connector from the back but I couldn't :D I'll try the manual, I haven't opened it yet :D

·
Banned
5,773 Posts
Try this.

Stand with your back against the driver side headlight. Reach in with your right hand and twist.

If you try it standing facing the car it puts your hand in an awkward position.

For the passenger side you should be able to just twist it out while standing facing the car.

If you need more room for the driver side, loosen the battery and move it. You don't have to completely remove it or the connectors.

For the passenger side if you need more room, pull the coolant reservoir up and out of the way. It just pops out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try this.

Stand with your back against the driver side headlight. Reach in with your right hand and twist.

If you try it standing facing the car it puts your hand in an awkward position.

For the passenger side you should be able to just twist it out while standing facing the car.

If you need more room for the driver side, loosen the battery and move it. You don't have to completely remove it or the connectors.

For the passenger side if you need more room, pull the coolant reservoir up and out of the way. It just pops out.
Not even trying to gravedig, but I had to say thanks for these tips. Saved me hella frustration getting to those high beams. I swapped out the low beams last night and was wondering how the hell I was gonna get to those high beams today, since I don't have baby hands/arms.

Again, thanks! :thmsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.