Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have 2004 EX-L. Yesterday, the high beams both simultaneously stopped working. I checked the fuses, both appeared fine. I didn't get to check the bulbs yet, because I don't think its them based on the lights both not working at the same exact time. Usually, only one bulb will go out at a time.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? Or do you think it could be both of the bulbs out at the same time?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
There are a couple of simple tests you can do without breaking out a sweat:

1. When you say high beams are not working, did you try push the stalk forward and pulling it back with the headlight switch both off and on? The high beam should still work while pulling it back even with headlight switch off.

2. Take a strong flashlight and shine into each of the highbeam bulbs to have a good look, you should be able to see the filament easily if it's burnt out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are a couple of simple tests you can do without breaking out a sweat:

1. When you say high beams are not working, did you try push the stalk forward and pulling it back with the headlight switch both off and on? The high beam should still work while pulling it back even with headlight switch off.
Yes, I've tried turning them on by pushing the stalk forward and flashing them by pulling the stalk backward. :thumbsdow

2. Take a strong flashlight and shine into each of the highbeam bulbs to have a good look, you should be able to see the filament easily if it's burnt out.I'll have to try that.
If its not the bulbs, what else could it be?

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
try checking for power at the plug. its possible both bulbs went at the same time, but i agree that its odd that both went at the same time. not to upset you but it is possible that the switch broke.

here is a link to a 04 service manual on cd. looks to be oem honda manual.

there are a bunch of cd's on ebay as well for cheap.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Or do you think it could be both of the bulbs out at the same time?
Could be. It happened to me (low beams) once. I thought the same as you that both bulbs couldn't go at once. Since you've already checked the fuse, confirm whether it's the bulbs before you start pulling your hair out. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
The factory service manual electrical diagram shows there is a "relay control module" under the hood, it has one relay to power both high beams and second relay to power both low beams, my bet is the high beam relay probably went bad, or the light switch/stalk is bad.

Raise the hood, open the driver side door and stand beside the driver side front fender while moving the stalk towards the back of the car, can you hear a relay click? If you cannot then you've likely narrow it down to the relay. BTW you should do this in a quiet environment like inside a garage with the door closed.

I had a look under my hood, I think the two relays are inside the cover that is closest to the outside edge of the fender of the fuse/relay box, and for some reason there isn't an easily removable cover for this portion of the fuse/relay box, so you may have to get out the wrench to loosen some bolts to gain access.

Once you find these two relays, swap them as they are most likely identical, if your low beams stop working and high beam starts working, then you have just confirmed the high beam relay has gone bad, if not then you may have a bad headlight stalk/switch assuming there is no wiring damage elsewhere from an animal chewing through wire etc.

·
Just got my 11 EX sedan!
182 Posts
there's the best reason to get a factory manual. just paid for mine off ebay. $104 shipped. factory manuals ROCK! my 91 manual is over 2" thick. when you start brousing threw one you will beg borrow the cash for one, or get the cd version. 1/4 the price.

·
Super Moderator
7,849 Posts
Maybe you will be as lucky as the OP of the thread below, because it looks the inside of the "relay control module" containing the high/low beam relays is not easily accessible or replaceable, my guess is still that both high beam bulbs are burnt out since OP may not have noticed one bulb is out until the second bulb is burnt out.

The headlight relay and switch/stalk don't typically go bad.

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/headlight-dimmer-switch-problem-37183/

·
Super Moderator
3,430 Posts
A member here had the same issue and didn't think that both bulbs were the problem. Start with the simplest thing first and check the bulbs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone!

Of course, with more daylight (and warmth) I'll check the bulbs, than, if needed anything else. :)

·
Registered
804 Posts
i know this doesnt help. but when i was "knee high to a grasshopper" i had a chrysler, it had 4 headlights. i was at a local walmart when i turned the car on , when to turn on the head lights AND...... all 4 burned out at one time.. i instantly thought fuse! but believe it or not.. all 4 burned out.. when i replaced all 4 headlights bulbs, they worked and kept working for a long time. i dont know what happened, it just happened..

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your input. It was, odd as I thought, both bulbs burned out simultaneously.

I wrote Sylvania and they claimed their bulbs are only made to last one year, which I thought was no good.

They thought it was a symptom of DRLs, to which I explained Accord (in the US didn't have those until 2005)

They ended up sending me replacements at no cost.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been sick. (but am getting better)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts