Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Banned
2022 Accord Sport 2.0 - KTuner Stage 2
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone is running any kind of "special" oil after pushing the engine with a stage 1 or 2 tune (or higher).
I have been a valvoline guy my whole life, its gotten many of my cars (including my now sold accord v6) past 150k miles without a single problem, but VR1 oil only comes in 20w50 and 10w30.

How many of you run 5w30 all the time? How is the smoothness, gas mileage, kcon, etc?

Anyone run oils like champion 0w20 or Royal Purple XPR? Or any other high performance engine oils?

Just looking for data. I will probably just fill with the usually valvoline high mileage 0w20 as I normally do since A) its the same price as the regular synthetic and B) it has more additives and it won't hurt.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
From the Valvoline website:

Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing oil is not recommended for use in vehicles with catalytic converters.

This is due to the high level of Zinc that VR1 contains.

How many of you run 5w30 all the time? How is the smoothness, gas mileage, kcon, etc?
Search of the 10G forum will provide your answers.

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the Valvoline website:

Valvoline VR1 Synthetic Racing oil is not recommended for use in vehicles with catalytic converters.

This is due to the high level of Zinc that VR1 contains.

Search of the 10G forum will provide your answers.
Cool. Not what I asked.

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, why did you mention Valvoline VR1 in your post?
I have reported you for stalking my posts as well as other users and deliberately trolling, being overly sarcastic, wasting poeple's time, giving false information, being deliberately misleading, etc. I have yet to read a comment from you that is in any way relevant to anything anyone has posted. Going through your history proves this. Keep trolling, but this is the last time I respond to you.

EDIT: Also, you don't have a 10th generation accord, so you have zero credibility to sit here and comment on a question that I have to 10th gen owners, and not you.

Reactions: slimm1469

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Aside from dedocated track use, there's no reason to deviate from the oil recommended in the owner's manual.

This.
Even when running higher boost daily? Figured most of the guys works be running 5w30

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Even when running higher body daily? Figured most of the guys works be running 5w30
Anyone know what "Even when running higher body daily?" means? Is this some type of engineering lingo?

A search of the 10G Forums would answer your "Figured most of the guys works be running 5w30" question.

· MT or death
644 Posts
I have reported you for stalking my posts as well as other users and deliberately trolling, being overly sarcastic, wasting poeple's time, giving false information, being deliberately misleading, etc. I have yet to read a comment from you that is in any way relevant to anything anyone has posted. Going through your history proves this. Keep trolling, but this is the last time I respond to you.

EDIT: Also, you don't have a 10th generation accord, so you have zero credibility to sit here and comment on a question that I have to 10th gen owners, and not you.
You would think that a civil, software, and sound engineer would be able to figure out that there is an "ignore" feature for users on this website.

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You would think that a civil, software, and sound engineer would be able to figure out that there is an "ignore" feature for users on this website.
I give people a chance. That a problem? Also reported for trolling.

• Haha
Reactions: AccorDokken

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T - Stage 3
216 Posts
Getting things back on track in this thread...

I have been running a stage 3 tune since I bought the car and use Valvoline Full Synthetic 0w-20. Just make sure to change it on time, or a little early, along with the oil filter and call it a day. Running a tune does not require insane oil. I would not use a synthetic blend though, use the good stuff (full synthetic) - which I'm sure you're well aware of - and use good gas.

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Getting things back on track in this thread...

I have been running a stage 3 tune since I bought the car and use Valvoline Full Synthetic 0w-20. Just make sure to change it on time, or a little early, along with the oil filter and call it a day. Running a tune does not require insane oil. I would not use a synthetic blend though, use the good stuff (full synthetic) - which I'm sure you're well aware of - and use good gas.
Good to know because I run valvoline myself (its freaking 25$ at walmart for 5qt vs everywhere else 35-40$).
I always change every 5k miles. Ever tried Hengst oil filters? They were on sale at rock auto so I ordered a bunch.

· Registered
2020 Accord Sport 2.0T - Stage 3
216 Posts
Good to know because I run valvoline myself (its freaking 25$ at walmart for 5qt vs everywhere else 35-40$).
I always change every 5k miles. Ever tried Hengst oil filters? They were on sale at rock auto so I ordered a bunch.
I do it every 5K as well, usually. Never heard of them but I'm sure they get the job done (the oil filters). Keep it up!

· Registered
2,153 Posts
Wondering if anyone is running any kind of "special" oil...
With regular daily driving, you are unlikely to see any excessive boost for more than a few seconds at a time. Puttering around town, I'm not sure if the turbo even spools up (but hey, I'm no engineer). If you're going hard on a daily basis, you may shorten your maintenance interval (and probably just should out of prudence) but I am not aware of any need to switch to anything outside of OEM quality oil for a low mileage engine. Heavier oil would add resistance, putting more strain on moving parts and theoretically lowering performance.

My advice is to continue using OEM motor oil and consider changing it more often. You can always submit samples to Blackstone to verify the quality/lubricity over time after a tune. My car does not have a performance tune, but I've had gentle oil change intervals and i've had aggressive ones. I installed an oil catch can in the first few months of ownership and check it regularly. I have seen little to no oil loss for any interval and never find more than a teaspoon of schmoo in the can over the course of an OCI. Good luck, I hope you make a decision that makes you happy

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
With regular daily driving, you are unlikely to see any excessive boost for more than a few seconds at a time. Puttering around town, I'm not sure if the turbo even spools up (but hey, I'm no engineer). If you're going hard on a daily basis, you may shorten your maintenance interval (and probably just should out of prudence) but I am not aware of any need to switch to anything outside of OEM quality oil for a low mileage engine. Heavier oil would add resistance, putting more strain on moving parts and theoretically lowering performance.

My advice is to continue using OEM motor oil and consider changing it more often. You can always submit samples to Blackstone to verify the quality/lubricity over time after a tune. My car does not have a performance tune, but I've had gentle oil change intervals and i've had aggressive ones. I installed an oil catch can in the first few months of ownership and check it regularly. I have seen little to no oil loss for any interval and never find more than a teaspoon of schmoo in the can over the course of an OCI. Good luck, I hope you make a decision that makes you happy
Agree about the samples. I simply haven't put on enough miles for a oil change just yet but I have the kits so that is going straight there when I change. I can't quite tell if the oil smells like gas, side by side with some oil from my other cars it just smells "different" is all I can say, no idea what the dealer threw in there.

Also agree about the catch can, within 500 miles I already had about 20ML in there and it is really rough sludge. Again, only 7k miles on the car so could be break in wear/tear.

It seems to me like those of you with tunes throw 0w20 in there, so Ill just keep doing it. My first car with 0w20 was over 10 years ago now! Wow, and never had an issue but in Naturally Aspirated Toyota Land (the NATL lol) you can throw water in there and it will run (no joke).

I agree, with regular driving there will be little difference, but I do plan on doing some spirited driving in the mountains several times a year as I always do, and I do drive with a heavy foot because otherwise you aren't getting anywhere in my state.

You ever try Royal Purple? I hear mixed things about it. I will leave a link down bellow to an interesting test (rarely see someone tear apart their personal engine for testing). From the science data it seems to be on the heavier weight of 0w20 compared to the Valvoline I use, and has slightly more additives (which isn't what I am worried about but rather the shear resistance and ability to maintain film when the engine isn't running).

· Registered
210 Posts
To answer your question, you have to take in account the tolerances inside the engine. You can't run really thick oil on these cars without issues. One grade up won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't run several grades up like going from a 5W-20 to a 20W-50. First off, you don't need a thicker oil at start up so anything 0W or 5W on these cars is fine, but no need to go for 10W or higher. With that said, thinner oils are used in almost all cars these days because of technological advancement in motor oil and CAFE standards. Thinner oil means less friction which equates to slightly better fuel mileage. Thicker oil not only causes worse gas mileage, but it can also lead to slightly reduced horsepower. You have to find a happy medium. With the Accord, it simply isn't made for really thick oil. Before my Accord 2.0T, I had a highly modified Mustang with a modified Coyote in it. The low-level trims called for 5W-20 and the higher-level trim called the Track Pack called for 5W-50 because Ford considered that trim level a track ready vehicle. I always ran 0W-30 in that car and oil temperatures never got out of hand. Of course, that car had an 8.5-quart oil capacity (the new Mustangs with the Coyote, 2018 and newer, have a 10-quart oil capacity) so you could run it hard and not have to change the oil often. I bet the Accords is around 5 to 5.3 quarts oil capacity, so the oil degrades quicker when running it hard.

Monitor your oil temperature, your EGT (exhaust gas temperature), and coolant/head temperature. If all is in check, send it!

One thing to note... most vehicles, including those that claim they are track ready aren't really track ready. They would overheat within a few laps on a track. Either cooking the brakes leading to brake fade or flat out brake failure, cooking the differential fluid in the front or rear differentials leading to gear issues or at least gear whine, or overheating due to high oil temperatures. A proper track car needs several different coolers including an oil cooler, a differential cooler, and a trans cooler. The Accord simply isn't made for the track and it would take a lot of work to make it track ready regardless if you are running 5W-20 or 10W-40.

If you are simply running autocross or a few drag strip runs, any synthetic oil will do, even stock 0W-20 will do fine here. Just let the Accord run for a minute or two to bring down temps before cutting the car off.

Also, catch cans are useless on any engine that is direct injection only.

This guy's first post was talking about how bad the Accord was because it was missing all these features the Camry had, yet here he is. The Accord is on another level compared to the Camry. The driving experience can't be compared. Of course, I'm talking 10th gen Accord here. I have no doubt the Camry is better than the 11th gen Accord LOL.

· Banned
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To answer your question, you have to take in account the tolerances inside the engine. You can't run really thick oil on these cars without issues. One grade up won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't run several grades up like going from a 5W-20 to a 20W-50. First off, you don't need a thicker oil at start up so anything 0W or 5W on these cars is fine, but no need to go for 10W or higher. With that said, thinner oils are used in almost all cars these days because of technological advancement in motor oil and CAFE standards. Thinner oil means less friction which equates to slightly better fuel mileage. Thicker oil not only causes worse gas mileage, but it can also lead to slightly reduced horsepower. You have to find a happy medium. With the Accord, it simply isn't made for really thick oil. Before my Accord 2.0T, I had a highly modified Mustang with a modified Coyote in it. The low-level trims called for 5W-20 and the higher-level trim called the Track Pack called for 5W-50 because Ford considered that trim level a track ready vehicle. I always ran 0W-30 in that car and oil temperatures never got out of hand. Of course, that car had an 8.5-quart oil capacity (the new Mustangs with the Coyote, 2018 and newer, have a 10-quart oil capacity) so you could run it hard and not have to change the oil often. I bet the Accords is around 5 to 5.3 quarts oil capacity, so the oil degrades quicker when running it hard.

Monitor your oil temperature, your EGT (exhaust gas temperature), and coolant/head temperature. If all is in check, send it!

One thing to note... most vehicles, including those that claim they are track ready aren't really track ready. They would overheat within a few laps on a track. Either cooking the brakes leading to brake fade or flat out brake failure, cooking the differential fluid in the front or rear differentials leading to gear issues or at least gear whine, or overheating due to high oil temperatures. A proper track car needs several different coolers including an oil cooler, a differential cooler, and a trans cooler. The Accord simply isn't made for the track and it would take a lot of work to make it track ready regardless if you are running 5W-20 or 10W-40.

If you are simply running autocross or a few drag strip runs, any synthetic oil will do, even stock 0W-20 will do fine here. Just let the Accord run for a minute or two to bring down temps before cutting the car off.

Also, catch cans are useless on any engine that is direct injection only.

This guy's first post was talking about how bad the Accord was because it was missing all these features the Camry had, yet here he is. The Accord is on another level compared to the Camry. The driving experience can't be compared. Of course, I'm talking 10th gen Accord here. I have no doubt the Camry is better than the 11th gen Accord LOL.
Oh look someone who spewed stuff from a brochure lmfao

· Registered
210 Posts
Oh look someone who spewed stuff from a brochure lmfao
Hey bud, this is from real world experience. I've driven on a drag strip as well as a race track. The only racing you've done is on a couch This is the reason why you get the responses back that you do. I don't blame @cookieman214 or @AccorDokken for their responses. The last time I replied to one of your messages, a moderator deleted it and gave me a warning. I think it's about time they do the same to you. I guess we will see how bias the moderators are here won't we?

This is what power looks like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts