Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I have been working on my girlfriends 4 cylinder '99 Accord. Last Wednesday her car decided to start idling very very rough after she was driving it for about 15 minutes and pulled up to a light. We brought it to Auto Zone and had it diagnosed. We were told that it was misfiring on cylinders 2 and 3 and that it was probably an EGR valve issue, so I went about and replaced the EGR valve. Now her car does not idle as rough, but I have noticed a couple new things.

Along with her car idling rough, it will come close to stalling and will stall if I put it in park and rev a few times then remove my foot from the gas. Also, her car is going up to 4K rpm before it will shift, we haven't taken it out anywhere to go faster than 40 mph. The car has been warmed up before we driven it and before I reved the engine. I haven't checked the spark plugs yet to see if they are still acceptable and her battery was changed out a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What exactly was the trouble code pulled by Auto Zone? EGR valves rarely fail, more often it is plugged passages located below the EGR valve that need to be cleaned.
If the car just suddenly developed the problem, I would suggest it may have been some bad gas especially if it was recently filled.
Otherwise replace the spark plugs and other ignition parts if there is any question about their condition.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What exactly was the trouble code pulled by Auto Zone? EGR valves rarely fail, more often it is plugged passages located below the EGR valve that need to be cleaned.
If the car just suddenly developed the problem, I would suggest it may have been some bad gas especially if it was recently filled.
Otherwise replace the spark plugs and other ignition parts if there is any question about their condition.
The Auto Zone trouble codes were P1399, P0302, P0303, P0300.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Those are all misfire codes, not EGR trouble codes. 4 cylinder Accords rarely have EGR problems, V6 engines are a different story.
The misfires can be caused by several different things including ignition problems, fuel problems or cylinder problems (low compression). Ignition problems could be any one of the components, plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, ignition module or coil. Does the distributor have much oil inside of it?
Fuel problems could be bad gas, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump.
Cylinder problems could be damaged valves, rings or head gasket. A compression test would identify those issues. Does the engine use oil?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts