Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
I Drive An Automatic ;D
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change bulbs cause i hate the yellow tint. Also I don't want to get HIDs without retrofitting my headlights but thats too costly for me.

So heres where I'm stuck. Should i get:

HIRs

or

PIAA Xtreme White Bulbs

???

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
The HIRs might still have a slightly yellow tint to them, but they will be much brighter than stock. The PIAAs will be less bright than stock.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yikes! That's one expensive bulb. Low beams are limited to 55w, are these really brighter? Post some pics with them on.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
HIR's (Philips > Toshiba) are legit. Although pricey, you get what you pay for.

http://store.candlepower.com/ph3rdge90h.html

They are not illegal (like HID kits in Halogen meant lighting assemblies ... yes, I'm personally guilty in my coupe) and produce a significant increase of lumens at the stock wattage of your OEM halogens. They do perform as advertised and not simply hyped up color tinted bulbs from Nokya, Piaa, Insert name here on Autozone/Tuning shop shelf.

There is a slight modification needed to the base of the HIR bulbs (I know is the case for the coupe and H11 intended fit, not sure on the sedan).

How to Modify HIR bulb bases

From Daniel Stern's site...

What is HIR??

The HIR bulbs are not some tinted or over-wattage version of 9005 or 9006, but rather employ a relatively new technology called HIR, Halogen Infrared. The mechanical dimensions of the bulb are all virtually identical to the 9005 or 9006, but the bulb glass is spherical instead of tubular, with the sphere centered around the filament. There is a "Durable IR Reflective" coating on the spherical glass. Infrared = heat, so the coating causes heat to be reflected back to the filament at the center of the sphere. This causes the filament to become much hotter (producing more light) than it can by passing electricity through it, *without* the shorter life or greater heat production that comes with over-wattage bulbs (to say nothing of over-wattage bulbs' incompatibility with stock wiring.)

Here's the comparison:

High beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours High beam ... HIR1(9011), 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

Low beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1006 lumens, 360 hours High beam ... HIR2(9012), 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 800 hours

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Great idea if you want to produce excessive glare while at the same time reducing your own night-time seeing distance.

And if you'd actually read the original post, you have known that the OP doesn't want a HID kit.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Here's the comparison:

High beam stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours High beam ... HIR1(9011), 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours

Low beam stock: 9006, 12.8V, 55W, 1006 lumens, 360 hours High beam ... HIR2(9012), 12.8V, 55W, 1875 lumens, 800 hours[/I]
The Philips HIR2 actually has a Tc of 1400 hours, nearly double that of the Toshiba bulb.

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Yikes! That's one expensive bulb. Low beams are limited to 55w, are these really brighter? Post some pics with them on.
Yes, the HIR are much brighter. Pics don't tell much if anything, though, unless you have a fully manual (read: very expensive) camera and you know how to use it.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
The Philips HIR2 actually has a Tc of 1400 hours, nearly double that of the Toshiba bulb.
Thanks! I was wondering if that info from Stern's website was relevant to the Toshiba or Philips...definitely a major improvement and warrants only looking at the Philips if considering HIR options.

·
'08CoupeI4 EX BelizeBlue
193 Posts
I have High Beam HIRs -2700 Lumens - they are white with a hint of yellow just like the sun- supper, supper night visibility.

6500k for lows and nokia hyper yellow for fogs.:thmsup:

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've had the PIAA extremes in my 96 minivan for a number of years as a way to overcome Chrysler's crummy headlight design in the early 3rd generation minivans. It is a much whiter and brighter light than stock. Yes, quite pricey.

That said, we are very happy with the lighting in the Accord, and other than maybe going to Silverstars (or something like that) when one burns out, I kind of feel like that it isn't broke and it doesn't need fixed for now.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
I've had the PIAA extremes in my 96 minivan for a number of years as a way to overcome Chrysler's crummy headlight design in the early 3rd generation minivans. It is a much whiter and brighter light than stock. Yes, quite pricey.

That said, we are very happy with the lighting in the Accord, and other than maybe going to Silverstars (or something like that) when one burns out, I kind of feel like that it isn't broke and it doesn't need fixed for now.
Silverstars and other blue tinted bulbs are less bright than the OEM bulbs. If I had the sedan I would upgrade both the lows and highs to HIR.

·
Retired IT Dude
1,318 Posts
Ordered a set of Phillips HIR2's from Candle Power yesterday. The new base design looks like it will fit without filing (but you'll still need to modify the top lock tab.) A bit pricey, but well worth the $$$ in light of MUCH higher luminous output and longer life span.

The Sylvania SilverStar Ultra 9006's that I've been using are MUCH less than stellar. I got them cheap and wanted to give them a try. Even knowing what I've read from Daniel Stern and elsewhere over the years I had to give them a shot. Not worth the effort.

The Nokya 2500k Hyper Yellow H11's for the fog lights on the other hand are a great upgrade. The combination of these and the 9012's should make a great team.

·
GEN7
280 Posts
Ever consider MTEC? http://www.automotivelightingusa.co...e-9006?zenid=491991d4021d9585204085e59ab87455

I heard PIAA's don't last very long. Those MTEC's are 4350k rated.

i'm considering these because they have good reviews and the color is just what I want.

I've been searching for affordable and reliable 4300k HID kits. I've tried DDM tuning, some e*** brand, and XenonDepot.

The DDM's are really a hit and miss, i've ordered numerous kits from them. One DDM kit I have is great and it's been lasting me almost a year, and the other ones just die or go out with discolorment. I refuse to go thru their warranty because it take SO long. it took them almost 3 months to get my bulbs replaced. and if you do E-mail them, don't even bother. They probably won't reply.

But I found VVME kits. They sound pretty good.

GL!

·
Corvalis TTX
5,598 Posts
Ever consider MTEC? http://www.automotivelightingusa.co...e-9006?zenid=491991d4021d9585204085e59ab87455

I heard PIAA's don't last very long. Those MTEC's are 4350k rated.

i'm considering these because they have good reviews and the color is just what I want.

I've been searching for affordable and reliable 4300k HID kits. I've tried DDM tuning, some e*** brand, and XenonDepot.

The DDM's are really a hit and miss, i've ordered numerous kits from them. One DDM kit I have is great and it's been lasting me almost a year, and the other ones just die or go out with discolorment. I refuse to go thru their warranty because it take SO long. it took them almost 3 months to get my bulbs replaced. and if you do E-mail them, don't even bother. They probably won't reply.

But I found VVME kits. They sound pretty good.

GL!
The MTEC bulbs are just more junk with a blue filter. I suppose they're OK if vanity gets the best of you and you value the way your car looks over actual headlight performance and road safety. In the large photo of the bulb on the web site it's clear the filament is improperly located. So, like I said, these bulbs are pure crappola. Then there's the fact that they're 80w bulbs. I wouldn't want to use those in an Accord without a heavy duty relay harness. And you don't really believe these bulbs have the output of 150w bulbs, do you? If you do, I've got a real sharp Ginsu knife that can be yours for the fire-sale price of $400.

And there really are no good HID kits for halogen housings. Non of them put the right amount of light in the right place and they all produce glare for oncoming traffic. It's simple physics. There are good reasons these kits are illegal.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
12,733 Posts
Ordered a set of Phillips HIR2's from Candle Power yesterday. The new base design looks like it will fit without filing (but you'll still need to modify the top lock tab.) A bit pricey, but well worth the $$$ in light of MUCH higher luminous output and longer life span.
Please post up pics/a review if you can

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
And there really are no good HID kits for halogen housings. Non of them put the right amount of light in the right place and they all produce glare for oncoming traffic. It's simple physics. There are good reasons these kits are illegal.
On that note; I'd like to reiterate the point that it's insanely stupid for Honda not to offer TSX style HID projectors and according ballasts/bulbs as an option.... maybe not even with EX-L ...Navi...Just an Optics Pkg or whatever. Money in the bank and plenty of people would have opt'd for it in the sedan/coupe--

Yeah yeah Honda, I hear you chirping in the back of my mind...'get an Acura if you want 'luxury' amenities'...yada yada... poor excuse in today's US car market ...ahem, Nissan Altima (and Infiniti seems to have no issue w/ offering said options on Nissan's). Look at their MMC of the coupe...nice new hood, changed around the projector placement for more aggressive headlamp look and still offering HID as an option.

/soapbox
/rant

1 - 20 of 31 Posts