Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Honda Accord EX-L recently has been making a weird noise. I kept listening closely and it's whenever the A/C is on. Every couple minutes or sometimes even every minute, I'll hear a hiss that sounds like something pressurized is releasing or opening, almost like a pump, right from inside the A/C vents. I'm not quite sure what it is, and the used auto dealer that I purchased it from couldn't identify what the noise is. I have yet to take it to a nearby Honda technician but I will most likely do so on Monday. Anybody have any idea what this could be or have similar noise coming from the A/C vents?

Thanks in advance

Zak

·
Blow The Carbon Out
190 Posts
It is just the sound of the A/C compressor being turned on and off. If you hit the A/C button to force it off, keep the fan on, then turn the A/C back on again, you will hear the same hiss. Should only hiss for a few seconds and the pressure changes. But I don't believe that you are having an unusual problem from the way I am interpreting this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is just the sound of the A/C compressor being turned on and off. If you hit the A/C button to force it off, keep the fan on, then turn the A/C back on again, you will hear the same hiss. Should only hiss for a few seconds and the pressure changes. But I don't believe that you are having an unusual problem from the way I am interpreting this.
I would be inclined to say the same, but it's continuous...in other words, hisses-stops, 30 seconds or so go by, hisses, then stops again. As if the compressor keeps engaging and disengaging. I'm not an AC expert but I have a hunch that maybe could be the start of the compressor going bad. Either way, having it diagnosed tomorrow to see what it could be.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Does it sound like its coming from any one particular vent? If it sounds like it is near the passenger center console area, could be from the expansion valve - mine does that only under acceleration.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
My AC hisses when it kicks on. Always has..although sometimes it doesn't hiss. I can tell when it was off due to hard acceleration because after I let up the vents hiss at me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My AC hisses when it kicks on. Always has..although sometimes it doesn't hiss. I can tell when it was off due to hard acceleration because after I let up the vents hiss at me.
If the hissing comes and goes every minute or so as well as the cold air being warmer when it happens, then colder again after the hiss, would that possibly indicate a AC compressor that is failing?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Came here to say my newly purchased 2010 will hiss when it first turns on. That seems to align with other people saying it's the compressor turning on, so glad I don't need to worry anymore...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts