Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i hit a huge pothole now my 07 4dr vibrates like crazy and idea or guesses what it could be??

I'm hoping it's just my alignment but not sure, the tire didn't blow so that's not why. Any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Could be bent rim(s), as well just because tire didn't blow doesn't mean it wasn't damaged, have a tire shop have a good look when your rims are being checked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would agree that it is most likely a damaged rim. I also think it also would be worthwhile to carefully examine the entire suspension on that wheel to insure everything is safe. We found a bent strut on our car after a similar incident.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
It's a trip to a shop.
Sorry it happened to you. Sounds like it could be a bent rim, the impact could have screwed up your wheel alignment, etc. It's possible that the impact changed your camber or toe in or knocked off the balancing weight.
It's happened to me before. Best thing you can do is not drive it until you fix it.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
I'll bet it's not as bad as a 2005 Matrix I just did. The driver wouldn't admit to what she hit/went through. It broke the rim in half, took out the inner and outer left side tie rod, the control arm was ripped in two, the swaybar end link looked like a pretzel and the ball joint where it bolts to the control arm was bent at 90 degrees instead of about 45 degrees.

I was shocked to see the tire on the new rim holding air, and the car actually took an alignment with no issue.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If it did not bend the outside of the rim be sure to inspect the inside of the rim. I had that happen on the civic after a pot hole. It was aftermarket rims though which are junk standard compared to the original factory rims.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
I was just thinking about this again and remembered that I did the same thing in my old GTI. The outside of the rim looked fine. When I took the wheel off to see if the inside was bent, it was.
I found a company in the back of a Car and Driver magazine that fixed screwed up rims and shipped it to them. A few days later, I had my rim back and it looked perfect.

·
Super Moderator
10,064 Posts
Unlike the front side of the rim, especially on a front wheel drive car, which is heavily supported by the mounting disk of rim, the back side of the rim can deform under severe impact.

I bought a set of used TL rims a couple of years ago, one rim had a very slight deformation on the inside edge, which is inperceptable without measuring on the Hunter machine, I took it to a wheel refinishing shop and watch the fellow put it on a turntable, clamp it down, and gentlely heated up the area around the deformation, then used a hydralic press to straighten out the deformation. Cost me about $60 IIRC.

·
Super Moderator
4,420 Posts
http://www.awrswheelrepair.com/

is a mobile wheel repair, they can straighten, etc and refinish it right on site. You or the shop you bring the car to has to have the tire off the rim, I believe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts