Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little different topic here, hope that is okay.:) I bought a 2013 Touring Edition and installed a 1 1/4 inch Curt Trailer hitch to put a Bike Rack on. I promised my wife I would not use my Saris Bones Rack on my new car. Anyone use, or have suggestions for a Platform Bike Rack. I have been looking at a Kuat Sherpa, the NV is too heavy and has stuff I do not need or want. The other rack I have been looking at is a 1 UP USA. I am only wanting a platform style rack, do not want to hang a carbon frame, did that with the Saris. Anyone have any experience with either of those or any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
A little different topic here, hope that is okay.:) I bought a 2013 Touring Edition and installed a 1 1/4 inch Curt Trailer hitch to put a Bike Rack on. I promised my wife I would not use my Saris Bones Rack on my new car. Anyone use, or have suggestions for a Platform Bike Rack. I have been looking at a Kuat Sherpa, the NV is too heavy and has stuff I do not need or want. The other rack I have been looking at is a 1 UP USA. I am only wanting a platform style rack, do not want to hang a carbon frame, did that with the Saris. Anyone have any experience with either of those or any other suggestions? Thanks!
go to your local bike shop..... not a big box store but a locally owned bike shop, they will tell you exactly what you need and everything you need to know about it! - a kid who works at a high end bike shop :thmsup:

my personal favourite was the thule T2 but saris also has some very nice options! i personally take my bike inside the car.... im a bit "anal" lol

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
go to your local bike shop..... not a big box store but a locally owned bike shop, they will tell you exactly what you need and everything you need to know about it! - a kid who works at a high end bike shop :thmsup:

my personal favourite was the thule T2 but saris also has some very nice options! i personally take my bike inside the car.... im a bit "anal" lol

cool looking bike did you have that built or purchased it that way?

·
2013 Accord Sport 6MT
120 Posts
I completely recommend the 1upUSA. Fantastic piece of work. I fold it up for storage and it literally takes 5 minutes to install and have the bike secured on it. So no need to leave it installed on the car.

I used the 1upUSA rack on my Acura RDX (1 1/4'' Curt Hitch) and was able to have it folded up in the trunk. My Accord now has a Yakima roof rack with RockyMounts trays.

The locking/securing mechanism (from rack to car) is great and easy to use in the 1upUSA. I personally have the single tray in black.

I do have a couple issues:
1. No built in locking from Bike to Rack.
2. The bike will wobble from bumps and wind, but most wheel secured bike racks will. Only fork mounted will be rock solid. But note that the connection from rack to car is solid.

I transport my Focus Cayo and Niner One9 if that helps in anyway. I am an avid cyclist so my bikes get babied.

If you have any other questions about the 1upUSA rack feel free to ask me. I would be more then happy to answer them.

Edit: Also note that the 1upUSA is completely made of aluminum. While it does have some minor corrosion on the bare aluminum it isn't a big deal. When you look at Thule or Yakima, keep in mind that they may rust (From what I have read in bike forums).

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
cool looking bike did you have that built or purchased it that way?
Built it my self! Hand made frame from NYC .... Rims from Australia, hubs from Cali and an assortment of other exotic parts lol took me 2 months to get everything and get it fully built. The joys of working at a bike shop, retail it's technically worth $3,000 but I spent just around $1000 on it

·
Registered
167 Posts
installed a 1 1/4 inch Curt Trailer hitch

Did you do the install? Wondering what modifications if any were needed?

I have a Thule T2 that I have been very, very happy with. I have used it from small wheeled kids bikes up to clown wheeled bikes. Very easy to use. Just purchased a new one after the last one was damaged in an accident. I don't know yet if there are any bumper clearance issues when folding up like there were on my 2003 (though was easily fixable).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completely recommend the 1upUSA. Fantastic piece of work. I fold it up for storage and it literally takes 5 minutes to install and have the bike secured on it. So no need to leave it installed on the car.

I used the 1upUSA rack on my Acura RDX (1 1/4'' Curt Hitch) and was able to have it folded up in the trunk. My Accord now has a Yakima roof rack with RockyMounts trays.

The locking/securing mechanism (from rack to car) is great and easy to use in the 1upUSA. I personally have the single tray in black.

I do have a couple issues:
1. No built in locking from Bike to Rack.
2. The bike will wobble from bumps and wind, but most wheel secured bike racks will. Only fork mounted will be rock solid. But note that the connection from rack to car is solid.

I transport my Focus Cayo and Niner One9 if that helps in anyway. I am an avid cyclist so my bikes get babied.

If you have any other questions about the 1upUSA rack feel free to ask me. I would be more then happy to answer them.

Edit: Also note that the 1upUSA is completely made of aluminum. While it does have some minor corrosion on the bare aluminum it isn't a big deal. When you look at Thule or Yakima, keep in mind that they may rust (From what I have read in bike forums).
I appreciate the info. Do you happen to know the clearance on the 1 UP to the bumper? I know the Kuat has 5 1/8 inch distance from the hitch pin hole to the closest part of the hitch. Also, the 1UP is 55 inches wide when on the car in the upright position, was that any sort of issue for you. Thanks for taking the time to provide all of the info. My Wilier GT gets babied a lot, too!:)

Did you do the install? Wondering what modifications if any were needed?

I have a Thule T2 that I have been very, very happy with. I have used it from small wheeled kids bikes up to clown wheeled bikes. Very easy to use. Just purchased a new one after the last one was damaged in an accident. I don't know yet if there are any bumper clearance issues when folding up like there were on my 2003 (though was easily fixable).
My ability as a mechanic is non-existent! :thumbsdow I had my mechanic install it, 1 hour labor. Bought it from e-trailer.com, good deal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice Bike and Rack!

How much does the NV Core weigh? I think it is heavier than the Sherpa, just wondering, it does look good. What kind of hitch do you have? Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I read it weighs 41 pounds, hitch is a Draw-tite,I dont worry with the bike on the rack it holds it solid,i also added the kit that has the built in lock

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have the Swagman - I think it is the XT model. Trunk opens with the bikes on there. Wheels sit in a tray and there is a hook that you push down to the top tube. I was pushing it tight but it doesn't have to be, I think I am just going to leave it a little loose in the future. The hook that goes to the top tube doesn't have much for padding on it, hence the rags in the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have the Swagman - I think it is the XT model. Trunk opens with the bikes on there. Wheels sit in a tray and there is a hook that you push down to the top tube. I was pushing it tight but it doesn't have to be, I think I am just going to leave it a little loose in the future. The hook that goes to the top tube doesn't have much for padding on it, hence the rags in the picture.
i know this is an accord forum but you have a set of flo wheels?! you are a lucky guy :thmsup:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like the P2

And the Flo wheels. I hate to use a rack that touches the top tube of my Wilier. Probably silly but that is why I have been looking at wheels only racks: Kuat Shepa, 1UP USA, and The Inno 305.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts