Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read the threads about people putting hitches on their 9th gen accords. I'm taking a trip soon and may need a little extra room. Anyone ever stick a cargo tray in their hitch? Etrailer has a video with it installed, but I'm looking for real-world feedback.

http://images.etrailer.com/static/images/video/review-curt-17x46-hitch-cargo-carrier-2013-honda-accord-c18145.webm

Total setup, with a waterproof bag, would set me back around $300. I'm thinking a cooler and our clothes back there. Golf clubs in the trunk with everything else. Think it's worth it?

·
Texas Ground Pounder
1,357 Posts
I personally haven't used the cargo trays on my Accord although I have pulled many trailers. I have used the cargo tray on my Ranger. Biggest issue I had was it rattling back and forth (twisting and rocking) in the receiver which was a 2" instead of the 1 1/4" used on the Accords. However mine did not have the threaded bolt to tighten down like I'm seeing in that video so that may be a big help in resolving that issue. Be sure to keep any flammable materials away from the exhaust path as much as possible. Other than that, just need to watch your total weights. Remember according to the manual, the towing capacity accounts for all luggage and passengers as well. The hitch, cargo tray and waterproof bag also accounts for additional weight. Not sure if the tow capacity changed on the 9th gens, but my 7th was limited to 1000.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
It'll work. I wouldn't do it unless, maybe, it's very lightly loaded. Cantilevering much weight off the back end like that is going to have a noticeable negative effect on handling in a passenger sedan....an emergency lane change at highway speed could get rather exciting especially with an also fully loaded trunk. As long as you understand and compensate/are prepared to deal with that it will, as I said, work.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts