Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum and I need some help. We are going to be purchasing a 2008 EXL Navi 4 cylinder accord. I have been reading the forum for several hours and I am aware that CHH sells the homelink with a battery for $180.00. I am wondering if there is another homelink part that will work from another Honda / Acura vehicle. I intend on following the advice on here regarding install and illumination (Thank You HondaCoupe). I have visited a few parts websites and I am coming up with this part number: 36650-TA0-A11ZA. If I search for other vehicles such as the 09 Pilot I get the same part number of 36650-TA0-A11ZA with the exception of the last letter which I suspect might be the color code?

There are many postings on Ebay for Honda homelink's and if something will work from another vehicle, is less expensive and will have the same fit, finish, and color then I would like to go that route instead of spending $180.00. Has anyone found that the homelink is shared with other models?

Thanks.

·
7th Gear
4,887 Posts
Are you sure it isn't already there? I thought the EXL w/Navi included that.

and Welcome.

·
TL A-Specs RUBY------CURB
931 Posts
you are right OP, only 6 cyl gets homelink. How dumb of Honda to do that. Here is my suggestion and this is what I did. I bought a used lexus auto dim mirror. It comes with homelink. It was from a GS300. Sells for about 90-100 usd shipped on ebay, used. It came with two wires just like the honda auto dim mirror does. I just ordered the honda harness for the auto dim mirror, 7 usd at CHH. and I removed the connecter from the honda harness and put it on the lexus one. the Lexus mirror is a direct on the honda holder. I then hooked up the honda harness to the car's receptacle. and there it was, fully functioning auto dim mirror with direction and homelink. The instructions to program that were on lexus's owner website for free.
If you need help with that, I can guide you on how to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you are right OP, only 6 cyl gets homelink. How dumb of Honda to do that. Here is my suggestion and this is what I did. I bought a used lexus auto dim mirror. It comes with homelink. It was from a GS300. Sells for about 90-100 usd shipped on ebay, used. It came with two wires just like the honda auto dim mirror does. I just ordered the honda harness for the auto dim mirror, 7 usd at CHH. and I removed the connecter from the honda harness and put it on the lexus one. the Lexus mirror is a direct on the honda holder. I then hooked up the honda harness to the car's receptacle. and there it was, fully functioning auto dim mirror with direction and homelink. The instructions to program that were on lexus's owner website for free.
If you need help with that, I can guide you on how to do it.
Thanks for the information, The car we are buying already has the Honda dimming mirror installed but I like the fact that this option has the Homelink built into the mirror for a much lower cost. This is certainly something to consider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Homelink Install

This is a long post but I am hoping this helps other people with their options for Homelink. I am just a do it yourselfer and I didn't want to spend $180 for a garage door opener. Well, I decided to take the chance and buy a overhead console with homelink from a 2009 Honda Pilot. The interior color of our accord is gray and the console on Ebay appeared to be the same color so I "bought it now" for $50.00 and waited for it to come.

The console arrived and I removed the homelink from the 09 Pilot overhead console. There is a difference in color between our Accord's gray and the Pilot's gray in that the Pilot's gray is a little darker but the the fit between the two is the same. The whole module just snaps out of the console by releasing the tabs.

The first thing that I did was remove the Homelink module from the Pilot's bezel that it is in. I then removed the screws that are behind the sunglass holder in the Accord. I used a small screw driver on the sides to pry out the covers over the map lights. There are two screws behind the covers that need to be removed. Once they were removed I pulled down the overhead console from the front disconnected the wires. I removed the bezel that houses the mic. I removed the screws from mic and set the mic aside.

The Pilot's bezel only had a small hole in the bezel for the ANC. I removed the ANC and proceeded to drill small holes in the bezel so that the mic can "hear" the navi / blutooth verbal commands. The mic from the accord did not fit well until I carefully removed several of the tabs inside of the Pilot's bezel. Once this was done I was able to fasten the mic onto the pilots bezel.

Fongaroos had posted a picture of the board to the homelink that was very helpful. HondaCoupe pointed out the ground, illumination, and power points on the Homelinks board. I proceeded to soldering wires to these points on the board. I tried everything I could think of trying to route the wires so that the Homelink would lay flat on the bezel. I was not able to get this to work so I removed the wires from the front of the Homelink board.

Carefully I removed one side of the connector on the back of the Homelink so I would have access to the pins. I then soldered wires to the pins using the information from HondaCoupe's posting.

1 GND
2 GND
3 NO CONNECT
4 Headlight Switch +12 volts
5 +12V

After this was done I just followed HondaCoupe's posting:

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31276

for the wiring for power, ground, and lighting and for $50 and a few hours of aggravation we now have a working Homelink in the overhead console of our Accord.:)

·
Registered
681 Posts
glad everyone is still finding my write up helpful on the wiring :) :thmsup:

CollegeHills puts about a 25-50 dollar markup for the custom battery solding job.

You can just go to hondalink and its a bit cheaper there. And then just go into your dealer and pick it up for that price. My dealer always matches the price on the honda link parts.

So you can probably do the whole job for around 120 bucks is my guess. But you do need to know how to solder and have access to a soldering iron.

Good luck!

·
lol wut
570 Posts
Which overhead consoles from other models fit in the 8th gen accords? Cause I'm looking for an overhead console with everything the EX-L console has, minus the sunroof controls cause I don't have a sunroof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts