Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Honda Accord clocking 80K miles. I have always been a gentle driver. No sudden acceleration/deceleration or sudden brakes. In last 8 years, apart from regular maintenance like Oil change, tire rotation, only major maintenance I did was change transmission fluid change at 50K miles. Everything was done by Honda Service centers.

Recently I started feeling wobbly or something holding onto wheels or stuck. This happens when I drive at slow speeds and once I get on highway, it goes away and comes back when I brake again. When I went to local mechanic, he said my calipers are sticking out and holding and I need to replace both front brake pads, rotors and calipers. Cost me $900. I did this as I could feel the issue. It was as if a stick is inserted in wheels when i brake.

Then couple of months later, I went to Honda dealer for oil change and they said that my rear calipers as sticking out and I need to replace them. Checked with local mechanic and he said same and then got the rear brake pads, rotor and calipers replaced for another $850. I remember being asked my Honda Service multiple times to do a brake fluid flush(even on last visit). I researched and thinking not doing brake flush fluid could be messing my brakes got the brake fluid flush for another $120. All these major expenses happened in just 2 months and I have not been driving my car since Covid (May be once a week for supplies run)

Is this normal ? I feel like I'm being ripped and spent lot of money on something which could have been fixed for lot less

·
BRWNFLSH now
6,683 Posts
Sometimes not driving a car enough is worse than driving a lot. Is the car parked outside? If the pads were worn down, the caliper pistons could have started rusting and that prevented them from retracting when releasing the brake pedal.
And yes, it could have been fixed for a lot less, if you DIY. The way I see it is, if I'm not willing to do the work myself, I can hardly complain about how much someone else is charging to do it for me. You can always shop around, I guess, but that might mean you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
In my old car I changed the pins, and that took care of my sticky caliper issue. I'd pop in new pins in there, clean and lube everything, see if it helps before dropping good money on the whole entire thing.

·
V6 6MT CBP
2,719 Posts
The issue is common - how you fix it and pay for it is up to you.

·
Registered
2013 Touring 6 spd MT
264 Posts
Depends on where you live, besides the pins, you also need to periodically file the rust off the caliper runners, and clean out the hardware.

·
VCM DELETE
917 Posts
Common, just replaced the whole rear braking system on mine Rubber brake lines, Rotors, pads and calipers on Both sides. I had an indy shop do it for like 450$ Dealer wanted 900$ Need to shop around.
And again, its common for these to drag, as they age.

Dont ignore, it puts lots of unnecessary strain on the transmission as it has to work hard to move the car. Esp Torque Converter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts