Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2013 Accord EXL I4
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems to me that the Honda Accord is no longer a tuner car (if it was to begin). Most of the sales are the CVT. Who is seriously looking to mod a 9th Gen CVT based drive-line ?

I for one purchased the car for MPG, Resale, Reliability, Looks, Features (in that order) and have other go fast/quick toys. Will do some mods in the looks/tech area, but nothing under the hood.

·
Four Doors/Two Pedals
2020 Honda Accord Sport 2.0T 10AT
1,172 Posts
Tuners will tune. Maybe most would buy into your philosophy, but some claim that the manual transmission is dead and that a DCT is in the stars for Honda.

Personally, I believe in manual transmissions, but I'm not into tuning.

I've heard others say that the McPherson struts put an end to the Civic being a tuner, but I'm not certain. I can't remember seeing one, but I can't be sure.

Typically, the Accord has not been an object of desire among tuners in these parts, but who knows.

The automotive world is changing and I suppose tuners will have to change, too.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Why would the CVT transmission exclude tuners?

·
Fail Zero bcg
536 Posts
When was the Accord ever a "tuner" car? The Civic (and Integra) were the real "tuner" cars.

Years ago when I raced in the NHRA Sport Compact race series there was a guy with a 93 Accord coupe with a H22 fully built with a T4 turbo I am sure 20+psi because he was running 10's all day . So I would say a tuner car is what you make it but that day the Accord beat a lot of the 11 second integras and civics "real tuner cars" he never won our class but but a tuner car it was.

·
Banned
13,101 Posts
I've heard others say that the McPherson struts put an end to the Civic being a tuner, but I'm not certain. I can't remember seeing one, but I can't be sure.
I had a stock 1992 Civic EX and let me say, it handled better than 3 series BMWs and out accelerated a few of them too- and I still got 39mpg on the highway. I believe 1995 was the last year for that independent suspension, then the Civic became a car you could mod in engine only.

Yes, I autocrossed it. I lived in Washington, DC and would take her to a track in Virginia. Those BMW boys- the ones who used diapers to dry off their cars....they would cringe when I beat them on the track. BMW my arse.

If the Civic kept that suspension, I believe their only tuner competition would have remained the Eagle Talon/Plymouth Lazer. But then soon the EVOs and the WRX showed up- tuners flocked to those cars.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Why would the CVT transmission exclude tuners?
It's very efficient at keeping the engine at a fuel saving rpm. Not so efficient at putting maximum power to the ground. Lack of total control over the transmission etc. I wouldn't tell someone not to tune (or modify) a CVT accord. It just won't be the best platform for performance or reliability. Automatics, both cvt and traditional, are not as sturdy when compared to manuals. When pushed hard, they build alot more heat and need additional transmission cooling fans/radiators.

·
2013 Accord EXL I4
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I asked because I see people trying to put cat-less down pipes on the CVT I4.

Coming from the Subaru platform it was so easy get good gains on stock engine internals.

·
↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A
9,989 Posts
So I would say a tuner car is what you make it....
My definition of a "tuner" car is a car that's mod friendly and has a lot of after market support. The Civic has that in spades. The Accord? Not so much, and that's why I don't consider the Accord a "tuner" car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts