Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a new Accord and have driven both the Hybrid version and non Hybrid version and am very impressed with the Hybrid version.

Pros on Hybrid:
Quiet
Powerful
Steady
Well Built
Engine and Transmission (Assembled in Japan)
Excellent Fuel Economy

Pros on non-Hybrid:
Steady
Well Built
Excellent Fuel Economy for non-hybrid
Enough power and torque on the engine.

The only thing that I do not like on regular EXL is the horrible OEM tires (Hankook) that are very noisy and slight engine noise. I requested the dealer if he could switch the tires from EX (Michelin) to EXL and he was ok with it but not very sure that it would be as quiet as Hybrid.

Question for Owners of Accord EXL ?
Do you find it very noisy ?
Do you hear a lot of engine noise ?
Has anyone experience the noise on EXL ?
Is EX less noisy than EXL especially road and tire noise.

Right now buying a hybrid is next to impossible due to limited stock and dealers trying to make money out of the demand and not budging on the price. I am trying to decide if I can go with regular EXL with the tires switched from EX (dealer has agreed to it) and save some money and avoid paying high price for Hybrid.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Most that frequent the Hybrid sub forum here have made the decision to go with the hybrid. I don't regret my decision on this at all and would think it would be worthwhile to do so. The economics when I bought in May put the hybrid on pretty much an even basis with the 1.5t gas versions. If the pricing has changed, I guess it would depend how much to make that decision today. I think there are regional pricing disparities - looking around could pay off.

The questions you ask of gas EXL owners would get a better response up on the 10th Gen Forum directly (not in a sub-forum) perhaps. But, go with the hybrid - it's a great decision. After driving the hybrid for several months I can't imagine giving it up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a hybrid ex-l and it is an amazing machine. quiet, smooth, luxurious, roomy. on sport mode it can scoot too. very few annoyances.

if i crashed it today i would go buy another in a heartbeat. i enjoyed how engaging the 2.0T ex-l was during my many test drives but the hybrid feels like a $45k+ machine to me.

·
8th Gen Believer
3,951 Posts
I understand the eco value and fuel savings, but I'm just a nutcase for power. I'm sure I should be on meds, just can't sacrifice the V6 ,,,

·
Registered
14 Posts
I posted some nice hybrid-specific features here, which made it a no brainer for me to choose the hybrid model. You get more tech than non-hybrid, better HP (212 HP on all hybrid models vs 196 for EX-L) and I've had no problem with the hybrid power, especially putting it on Sport mode while driving around San Francisco hills. The extra price paid for hybrid will be recouped in gas savings in only a few years since the price difference isn't that much. I have about 3000 miles and am still amazed with the drive and build quality.

Wait for the hybrid, more inventory should be coming as it was just released a few months ago. Just keep checking in with the dealers or have them contact you when they have stock. What area are you located in?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am in St Louis, Missouri. Yes the inventory is slowly starting to show up but the dealers are not ready to negotiate even a bit since they know that the demand is high and inventory is low.

One thing I did notice that the transmission and engine of Hybrid is built in Japan v/s USA for non-hybrid. Not sure if that would be an issue if there are any parts needed for replacement.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As a 2018 Honda Hybrid Touring owner, I am very happy with the vehicle. I am loving the fact that I am spending more than 50% less on commuting gas than I was with my Lincoln MKX that I gave up a few months ago.

Sad to see that Honda still is not budging on prices. They were very tough with me. However, I think I got a quality vehicle for the price.

·
Registered
80 Posts
One thing I did notice that the transmission and engine of Hybrid is built in Japan v/s USA for non-hybrid. Not sure if that would be an issue if there are any parts needed for replacement.
Wouldn't bother thinking about that - it's a NA 2L based on the K series running an atkinson cycle, attached to a big electric motor. Electric motors typically last over 15 years of constant use in industry, 20+ will be no problem for these. K series engines are well understood by now and they generally don't even burn oil anymore, plus being NA port injected there's no carbon buildup to worry about. The "transmission" is just a big ol single gear similar to a wet clutch, simple usually means good longevity, though I'll admit it does get used a lot.

Most people are concerned with the HV battery longevity but in 10 years battery tech is going to be so much better than now, for so much cheaper that it's not worth worrying about either. It's not like you're going to replace the one in an '18 with an exact replica for the same OEM cost, you'll find a third party that sells individual cells or a whole pack for way less, and get more capacity out of it to boot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts