Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
2012 Honda Accord EX Coup
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first 2012 Honda accord coupe ex for my wife. It has a little over 43000 miles on it. Oil has been changed on a regular basis with paperwork. it was changed with maxlife 0w20
I plan to keep using maxlife 0w20

now the question: at what mileage do i change the transmission oil? Does the 2012 accord with 4 cyl have the filter that requires changing? i cant find anything on the issue in the manuals.

thanks for your time

Stan

·
2015 Accord Touring I4
2,120 Posts
The 2012 has a maintenance minder system that will tell you went to change your transmission fluid. Typically Honda suggested at 96,000kms, then 48,000kms there after... so i did mine every 48 from new.

That would convert to doing it every 30k miles.... honda trannies need to be taken care of well.

There is a non-serviceable filter in the tranny, I never owned an auto 8th gen so I will let someone else chime in for you.

·
HK Moderator
14,047 Posts
Stan the Man:

Our Canadian friend speaks the truth....

Change your auto transmission fluid with Honda DW-1....do it now, as it is time. You can do 1 drain and fill procedure (3 quarts of fluid) and it will take you about ten minutes AFTER you remove the lower plastic shield.

As for the filter, do a search because you have an external, $20 filter. Your Generation Accord and mine have pretty much the same engines. It takes me about 10 minutes to replace mine...all you will need is a 10mm socket, a 9 inch extension, a ratchet, and 90 degree bent pliers- preferably 9 inch as well. I do mine every 3 years....Honda does not list this external filter as "serviceable". But as 08EX-L stated, take care of your tranny.

Search for transmission filter replacement for 4 cylinder Accord, 7th Gen. Procedure is same.

1) Really stick with DW-1 on this....don't go aftermarket. Honda transmissions are kinda picky about this.

2) Update your user CP to include your location- lots of maintenance questions depend on location....that helps you and the next guy who comes across this thread.

Good luck.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply 08. I'm still new to the maint minder. I located the oil life but not the trans life. i'll keep reading

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rick,
I always stick to Honda fluids on my bikes and ATV. I will continue to use Honda dw-1 atf in the accord.. as far as engine oil I'm a Valvoline maxlife guy. P1 filter (thinking about changing this due to some failures on BTOG website)

thanks for the info.

Stan

·
Registered
254 Posts
Anyone have a part # on the 8th gen trans filters? Is it the same one across 08-12 accords?

want to see if Honda stocks them and not much money.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
See RickBlaine's post above for the link to the part and how much it costs from Honda. $20 a pop...probably overpriced by about $13 since a Wix fuel filter that looks VERY similar costs $7.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts