Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to all this and thought I would make a thread on my MPG I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe Ex 4 Cyl and get 20MPG about 75% Interstate and 30% city I do about 70-75 mph on the interstate my car has 48,100 miles and I think I should average better I get 30MPG on my 4 Cyl on my 09 Altima any ideas? My car is always serviced at Honda due to the warranty. What do you guys with a 4 cyl average? I get 270 miles out of a tank and it fills up with about 13.247 gallons according to the pump and I use regular 87 gas.

·
Registered
49 Posts
That's kinda low - my I4 gets about 28-30 in 50/50 city/highway. I don't drive with a lead foot and put the cruise on 75 or so for the 10 miles I'm on the interstate.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I drive about 15 mins on the interstate on my way to work and really thought my mpg should go up my 98 accord coupe V6 did about 22mpg I keep up with the maintenance on the car I tried premium fuel and it did about 22MPG but It should still be better than that. What should I do to improve these numbers?

·
aka 'The Gif King'
803 Posts
I had an argument with dudes on the "other" site about this subject :lmao: they were really touchy when it came down to my MPG.

Oh well... lately I've been getting atleast 35+ :banana: I hope those dudes are on DA too, so they can chime in on their thoughts again haha :wave:

·
Banned
294 Posts
Hi! I'm new to all this and thought I would make a thread on my MPG I have a 2005 Honda Accord Coupe Ex 4 Cyl and get 20MPG about 75% Interstate and 30% city I do about 70-75 mph on the interstate my car has 48,100 miles and I think I should average better I get 30MPG on my 4 Cyl on my 09 Altima any ideas? My car is always serviced at Honda due to the warranty. What do you guys with a 4 cyl average? I get 270 miles out of a tank and it fills up with about 13.247 gallons according to the pump and I use regular 87 gas.
Sounds like bad alignment + bad gas to me and possibly too thick of an oil. I bet you either use 5w-30 or don't know what the dealer/quickie lube puts in yours for engine oil. Does it at least haul booty?

·
No longer active
702 Posts
My average is between 25 and 29 mpg, depending on how gingerly I accelerate.
A few things that might help:
1) tire pressure - you might find it better to maintain a cold pressure of at least 32 all around
2) Warm up - do not warm your car up for more than 30 seconds if you will be driving more than 2 miles. It is not only not necessary, but it wastes a ton of gas
3) Use the 2500 method - accelerate slowly, never surpassing 2500 rpm (sticking to this most of the time should result in 25-27 mpg on its own). though it may feel slow, it's quick enough to not annoy people and slow enough to use as little fuel as possible
4) wasted idling - picking someone up? Shut the car down while you wait. Stuck at a railroad crossing? Shut her down. Turn your car off if you will be sitting stationary for more than a minute and a half
5) Using your transmission - instead of pushing in the clutch and taking the car out of gear or shifting into neutral while coasting down, stay in gear. Most cars (ours included) use very, very, very little gas while decelerating (coasting down) in gear. Next to none, as a matter of fact
6) Speed kills (your mpg) - keeping your speed to within 10 miles an hour over the speed limit can result in a big improvement in mpg
7) Don't drive angry - angry driving is horrible for fuel economy. Stay relaxed and try to give yourself extra time getting places.
8) Use the right oil - our cars call for 5w20. Use 5w20.
9) Keep your eyes up - try to predict what is happening ahead of you. Don't be the driver who slams on his brakes at red lights or uses his/her brakes to slow down when someone enters your lane (unless you have to). If a car indicates that it intends to change lanes, get off the accelerator pedal and coast a bit.
10) Use your cruise control - it might sound stupid, but the average driver wastes a ton of gas slowing down, then speeding up, then slowing down, then speeding up while on the highway or any road with a constant flow.
11) Plan your driving - I spent 3 months taking one route, using all surface streets, to the train to get where I was going 5 days a week until I realized that I could take another route that consisted of almost all highway and got me there 20 minutes faster. Since using my new and improved planned out route, my fuel economy jumped a few mpg's
12) Track your fuel consumption properly - hopefully, you already know how to do this, but I'm always surprised to find out that some people have no idea how to track their mpg. It's very simple: Reset your trip odometer every time you fill up. Take the miles you've driven (for example, 270 miles) and divide it by the number of gallons you need to fill up (for example, 13.247) and you'll get your mpg for that tank (for example, 20.38). Use a consistent fill up procedure. for me, I fill until the gas clicks off, then wait 10 full seconds and give it one more squeeze. Also important? Track your fuel economy over several tanks (at least 4 or 5) to get an accurate average.
13) Keep your car clean, inside and out - don't carry around 80 pounds of junk in your trunk. It takes more gas to move a full car than it does an empty one. Keep your car washed and get it waxed (or better yet, wax it yourself) 4 times a year. Don't use crap wax. A clean exterior is slipperier than a dirty exterior.
That said, the 4 cylinder Accord is a great car, but it is tough to resist revving the motor up when accelerating. The 6 seems to be better suited to my style of driving/fuel economy, but the 4 is what I got, so I use all of the above and get a great mpg return. You should too. I got 30-35 mpg on a long trip to Florida a few years back and if I stick to all of the above rules pretty strictly, I come awfully close to 30 mpg on average (my best tank was 29+). If you follow these rules most of the time, you should easily achieve 26 mpg.
If you try all of that and it still doesn't get better (expect around 26 average during the winter), check your alignment, brake system, etc.
Good luck! Report back!

FYI - there is no evidence and no data that shows the I4 gets ANY benefit whatsoever on premium fuel. As a matter of fact, every scientific review shows either no improvement in mpg and power or a loss of both. The car was designed for regular. Use regular. Those who claim huge improvements are letting their brains play tricks on them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i had my car aligned and the dealership uses the 5w20 oil in the car. I will check my tires I have keep track. I took a trip to kansas city this summer I live in Omaha Nebraska I did get 30MPG going 90mph on the interstate on a 13.475 tank. Got there and back on a tank. I did get about 358 miles out of like four thanks in the summer right after I bought the car I bought it CPO from Honda here in Omaha I just dont understand why my Altima get better mpgs I use regular gas on both cars. I only used premium twice in the accord. Who knows might be the cold weather we are having. Other than that I love my accord. I wish I could improve this though. Thanks for all the reply's.

it scares me that i used to get 26mpg mixed and it suddenly dropped to 20:thumbsdow i even got 19 once. So not a Honda my trailblazer got 20mpg's and i traded it for the accord who knows go figure.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
well i had my car aligned and the dealership uses the 5w20 oil in the car. I will check my tires I have keep track. I took a trip to kansas city this summer I live in Omaha Nebraska I did get 30MPG going 90mph on the interstate on a 13.475 tank. Got there and back on a tank. I did get about 358 miles out of like four thanks in the summer right after I bought the car I bought it CPO from Honda here in Omaha I just dont understand why my Altima get better mpgs I use regular gas on both cars. I only used premium twice in the accord. Who knows might be the cold weather we are having. Other than that I love my accord. I wish I could improve this though. Thanks for all the reply's.

it scares me that i used to get 26mpg mixed and it suddenly dropped to 20:thumbsdow i even got 19 once. So not a Honda my trailblazer got 20mpg's and i traded it for the accord who knows go figure.
Ever thought about doing a full sea foam treatment? If done right it works wonders. Also it maybe time to think about new spark plugs. NGK's. or since you doe a decent amount of freeway driving, Fill your tank with good brand of premium gas and run it through to blow the carbon out the motor. But Sea Foam is the best stuff. it'll add back some lost power/responsiveness too. Any questions ask away. There are great DIY vids on youtube

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
would that cancell my 7 year 100,000 mile warranty? I really don't want to do anything and then have something break and Honda blame me for it and not pay to fix the car? Should I tell them about this issue since they serve the car? I did run premium gas and its doing a little bit better now. I will probably try the plugs but new plugs at 48K? My 98 accord v6 had them done at 100k I had them in the car since new in 97 but I should try and see if it helps me. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks I will think about it I might just start driving the Altima to work and leave the honda at home and work on it. I will give the seafoam a tough I will let you know what i decide. :wave:

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
It's hard follow up on Jeffislouie's comments. (Nice job Jeff!) Daonendonly, I see you live in Omaha NE. By any chance are you on snow tires? If yes, that could explain bad mileage.

As already stated, look ahead and anticipate all stops and slow downs. Take your foot off the gas WELL before you need to stop. When you coast in neutral you get about 100 mpg. When you coast in gear and the computer shuts off the fuel to the engine, you technically get infinite mileage, but it will really be more like 150 mpg. Coast as much as possible without disrupting the flow of traffic. Coasting around town on a regular basis can easily add 3-5 mpg to your average. Also, if you can properly anticipate all stops, it implies you will not accelerate as much before you need to slow down.

Knowing nothing about your specific driving behavior, when on the highway be sure to drive at a very even speed. Don't be the driver who constantly has his foot on and off the gas to maintain one speed. (I'm not referring to pulse driving, which is totally different.) Driving at an extremely even speed with a very steady gas pedal will maximize your mpg.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I see you live in Omaha NE. By any chance are you on snow tires? If yes, that could explain bad mileage.

As already stated, look ahead and anticipate all stops and slow downs. Take your foot off the gas WELL before you need to stop. When you coast in neutral you get about 100 mpg. When you coast in gear and the computer shuts off the fuel to the engine, you technically get infinite mileage, but it will really be more like 150 mpg. Coast as much as possible without disrupting the flow of traffic. Coasting around town on a regular basis can easily add 3-5 mpg to your average. Also, if you can properly anticipate all stops, it implies you will not accelerate as much before you need to slow down.

Knowing nothing about your specific driving behavior, when on the highway be sure to drive at a very even speed. Don't be the driver who constantly has his foot on and off the gas to maintain one speed. (I'm not referring to pulse driving, which is totally different.) Driving at an extremely even speed with a very steady gas pedal will maximize your mpg.

The bold faced type sounds like great guidance to this sailor!

I could only add one thing (It's working for me as we speak): lower the shift points. But then again, you probably have an automatic transmission, don't you? Well, it's the thought.

ez....

·
1,927 Posts
It's a little thing, but when I have the option, I pull through a double parking space so I don't have to back out when leaving. I do most of the things mentioned here and have averaged 29.8 mpg for the last ten tanks in my '04 EX I4M5 and that's doing 72-75 on the interstate. My spousal unit drives our '07 SE I4A5 and averages 22 mpg. When I drove that car - shorter trips and more urban driving - I averaged 29. So driving habits do matter. Imagine a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator and it will help you develop the techniques needed to increase mpg.

·
04 4D 5MT Accord LX 152k
149 Posts
I drive the shit out of my car and the worst I can do is 24-25 MPG. On the interstate I get 33 mpg at 70 mph and 31 mpg at 80 mph. I drive my car really hard.

·
Registered
665 Posts

The Altima and Accord are two different cars with different drivetrains which are tuned differently. The driving style that optimizes mileage in the Altima probably won't be the same for the Accord.

·
Registered
663 Posts
How quickly your car reacts on the small change in accelerator position while you drive on a flat highway?
I suspect that some cars with automatic transmission may not lock torque converter properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
my car reacts quickly when making an acceleration change. I do know the altima and the accord are different but the engine on both is a 2.4 or I believe that the altima has a 2.5 and a 6 speed auto/manual tranny but who knows. I like them both either way :banana: thanks guys for the feedback! :D

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Check your tire pressures as well. Most people like to run around 3 psi above OEM, and have seen a slight increase in mileage. It's all the little things that help.

That said, I still get ~22 MPG in the city. Your atmosphere has a LOT to do with driving, and probably will have a greater effect than all these tips combined.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts