Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi y’all i have a 2009 honda accord automatic EXL V6, with 78,025 miles, transmission never replaced, and no service history. like the title says, when i go about 20 mph into 2nd gear and drive steady, my car shudders, i just bought the car about a month ago, i have a warranty until about september, and they keep saying it’s wear and tear, they already did a drain and fill of atf fluid with the oem fluid(forgot the name) and they reset the system, it went away and came back, they now are saying bring it in for another diagnostic, any ideas?? or advice
edit- he just said “do you want me to buy the car back” ???

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm guessing it's an automatic. You might add relevant information for the knowledgeable types on this forum to look at.
  • Year?
  • Engine?
  • Miles on the odometer?
  • Does it have a service history?
  • Was the transmission replaced?
OF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm guessing it's an automatic. You might add relevant information for the knowledgeable types on this forum to look at.
  • Year?
  • Engine?
  • Miles on the odometer?
  • Does it have a service history?
  • Was the transmission replaced?
OF
sorry i have a 2009 honda accord EXL V6, with 78,025 miles, transmission never replaced, and no service history.

·
8th Gen Believer
4,647 Posts
He said that in his post. I perceive Percept1on didn't read it. I have the same car. I'd do a 3x drain and fill to get old gunk out of your tranny. Use Honda DFW1 fluid. Since you did it once, do it two more times. Drive a few miles between the 2nd and 3rd D&F. That's the quickest, least expensive thing you can do. The 8th gen's 5-speed auto trans is excellent. Mine has 160k miles, fluid has been changed every 30k miles all its life. Let us know if that helps.

Reactions: Doberman07

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He said that in his post. I perceive Percept1on didn't read it. I have the same car. I'd do a 3x drain and fill to get old gunk out of your tranny. Use Honda DFW1 fluid. Since you did it once, do it two more times. Drive a few miles between the 2nd and 3rd D&F. That's the quickest, least expensive thing you can do. The 8th gen's 5-speed auto trans is excellent. Mine has 160k miles, fluid has been changed every 30k miles all its life. Let us know if that helps.
Where can i buy it, and also will the shudder kill the transmission, like what happens if it doesn’t go away….

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Does the shudder damage the tranny, if it just shudders i do not care, but if it does damage then i’m scared
Let me help ya:

Does the shudder damage the tranny?
If it just shudders i do not care,
But if it does damage then i’m scared.

j/k

Yes, I would be concerned. Don't just let it keep doing it. Do a 3x drain and fill at least two more times with Honda ATF like suggested above and see what happens. Good luck!

·
Registered
52 Posts
...He said that in his post. ...
All of that vital info (year, mileage, engine, service history, etc.) was absent until the OP made an edit.

Does the shudder damage the tranny, if it just shudders i do not care, but if it does damage then i’m scared
Well, we had a pronounced shudder in our earlier generation Accord (6th gen I4, auto trans). No service history, took four ATF drain/refills to get the darker-than-sin ATF to "look red again."

Four more ATF drain/refills with Honda OEM ATF to make it look perfect, still had that annoying shudder. We put up with it for probably close to a year. The previous owner must have put up with it for years.

Finally, we just added Lubegard Red at a concentration of 1 ounce per quart of ATF capacity. That fixed it.

Font Poster Advertising Publication Logo

Can't say enough positives about this stuff. Fixed a hard reverse gear engagement in two of our Odysseys, too.

OF

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Let me help ya:

Does the shudder damage the tranny?
If it just shudders i do not care,
But if it does damage then i’m scared.

j/k

Yes, I would be concerned. Don't just let it keep doing it. Do a 3x drain and fill at least two more times with Honda ATF like suggested above and see what happens. Good luck!
Like i said, it happens rarely and weirdly but if i pay a shop to do thedrain and fill, and this continues after2 more time, there’s no codes or anything

All of that vital info (year, mileage, engine, service history, etc.) was absent until the OP made an edit.

Well, we had a pronounced shudder in our earlier generation Accord (6th gen I4, auto trans). No service history, took four ATF drain/refills to get the darker-than-sin ATF to "look red again."

Four more ATF drain/refills with Honda OEM ATF to make it look perfect, still had that annoying shudder. We put up with it for probably close to a year. The previous owner must have put up with it for years.

Finally, we just added Lubegard Red at a concentration of 1 ounce per quart of ATF capacity. That fixed it.

View attachment 540540
Can't say enough positives about this stuff. Fixed a hard reverse gear engagement in two of our Odysseys, too.

OF
How long has it been since you’ve used that, and do you use it every 30k with flushes? and also should i flush 2 more times and in the second time add it?

·
Registered
2004 i4 5AT 4dr
47 Posts
double post by accident
see below

I started experiencing shudder at around 70-80km/h in top gear. Came to this forum, they told me to do 3x d/f with Honda DW-1 (driving a couple of km’s in between d/f’s). After the first d/f, I still had shudder. Did two more and it did the job.

The 9 quarts you’ll need at Honda is around $135CAD and it’s 100% worth it. I’ve done 4 d/f’s total and plan on doing one every year to be safe.

Hope this solves your problem

·
Registered
52 Posts
...How long has it been since you’ve used that, and do you use it every 30k with flushes? and also should i flush 2 more times and in the second time add it?
We had that old Accord for years. IIRC, bought it with 155,000 miles on the odometer. Little old lady in north Texas drove it as her "traveling car" to see family and friends all over the state.

I found no evidence that she had ever had the ATF serviced in her entire ownership experience. 155,000 miles with no ATF changes. Yikes.

We bought it at such a low price that if we had to replace the A/T, we would have still come out ahead. Still, I wanted to see if we could make it run better with ATF changes.

That transmission shuddered. A lot. We did eight (IIRC) ATF drain/refills, shudder was reduced a lot, but it still shuddered enough on acceleration to be really annoying. Fixed that with Lubegard, and we enjoyed driving that Accord, kids learned to drive on it, we sold it with nearly a quarter million miles on the odo.

After that first use of Lubegard on that 1998 Accord LX to fix the shudder, we just did a single drain/refill of the ATF about every 15,000 miles. It was easier than changing oil. Added 3 ounces of Lubegard with each of those ATF drain/refill events. We kept up that regimen for about six years, I'd guess, until we sold it.

OF

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah definitely do a couple more fluid changes with DW-1 only (imo)

Is the eco light on when it shudders? Could be perceived as transmission but in reality it’s the annoying vcm going in an out, highly recommend a vcm muzzling device of some sort, on top of getting the atf freshened up

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi I have a 2009 Honda Accord 3.5L?? with 78,000 miles It’s a 6 cylinder, p sure it’s the 3.5 i’m having a shudder occasionally into 3rd gear. I was told on another post to do a bunch of drain and fills, so i’m. doing 2 more i’ve already done 1. on my 3rd drain and fill i’m gonna use a additive like lubegard. Couple questions. How many quarts does my transmission take? How long should i wait to do my last drain and fill, and should i do more then 3, lastly should i use an additive to help. Would it be helpful to try to replace the throttle body sensor? (Honda dealer said could be issue) Please answer all questions, appreciate it !!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts