Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We love our 2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T. It's treated us very well and ticks all of the boxes for our use. However, the juvenile in me lusts after the new TLX Type S; it's not too far from its original concept, and a fast family sedan is right up our alley. We've been fortunate to pay some things off and still save for retirement (along with a 529 for one child) so we thought it might be possible to look into the possibility of purchasing the Type S.

Although the Type S isn't available yet, I figured a 2022 TLX A-Spec would be fairly close from an interior standpoint, so I moseyed down to the local Acura dealer. The interior materials are nice but the interior packaging is simply dreadful based on the exterior dimensions of the car. Is the double wishbone suspension taking up THAT MUCH room on the new TLX? Apparently so.

To be clear: It's a very nice car. The performance of the Type S would obviously be better, but our son is growing, and the backseat space is drastically less than in the Accord. Shockingly so if you sit in the back of both one after the other. Handling for the A-Spec was perhaps marginally better, but the materials, performance and interior space didn't seem to justify the ~ $12,000 price delta between the two.

The picture of interior specs is to help illustrate this: Both the wheelbase & exterior length of the TLX are longer than the Accord, but the backseat space simply vanishes!

It's too bad, because we really like the way the new Type S looks, and the new gold color is simply amazing, but I don't think it would work as a true family sedan.

OTOH, it helps illustrate what a great value the Accord is, so we'll stick with what we have. 馃槉

Attachments

Registered
We love our 2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T. It's treated us very well and ticks all of the boxes for our use. However, the juvenile in me lusts after the the new TLX Type S; it's not too far from its original concept, and a fast family sedan is right up our alley. We've been fortunate to pay some things off and still save for retirement (along with a 529 for one child) so we thought it might be possible to look into the possibility of purchasing the Type S.

Although the Type S isn't available yet, I figured a 2022 TLX A-Spec would be fairly close from an interior standpoint, so I moseyed down to the local Acura dealer. The interior materials are nice but the interior packaging is simply dreadful based on the exterior dimensions of the car. Is the double wishbone suspension taking up THAT MUCH room on the new TLX? Apparently so.

To be clear: It's a very nice car. The performance of the Type S would obviously be better, but our son is growing, and the backseat space is drastically less than in the Accord. Shockingly so if you sit in the back of both one after the other. Handling for the A-Spec was perhaps marginally better, but the materials, performance and interior space didn't seem to justify the ~ $12,000 price delta between the two.

The picture of interior specs is to help illustrate this: Both the wheelbase & exterior length of the TLX are longer than the Accord, but the backseat space simply vanishes!

It's too bad, because we really like the way the new Type S looks, and the new gold color is simply amazing, but I don't think it would work as a true family sedan.

OTOH, it helps illustrate what a great value the Accord is, so we'll stick with what we have. 馃槉
Overall the new TLX is a very good car in my opinion (especially compared to the last generation)- but it is rather interesting some of the choices that Acura made regarding what you pointed out as well as features.

I have no idea where those 5.5 inches of legroom went in the TLX vs the Accord. The large backseat is something that really is valued in the family car market- maybe Acura didn't think that potential buyers would mind the loss of 5.5" of legroom. There's still a decent amount of space back there- but you're right- it's noticeably
smaller than the Accord- which has a HUGE back seat.

I looked at the possibility of getting a base TLX over my 2021 Accord Touring when I bought it a few weeks ago... but for the price, the Accord offers tons more than the base TLX. The fact that you have to spend more than $400 just to add remote start to the base TLX is ridiculous. You comes standard on the Accord starting with the $29k Sport SE trim level.

There was a bunch of other stuff that didn't come standard on the TLX that I would have missed- unless I spent thousands more for the A-Spec trim level.

Registered
My guess with the shrunk backseat is.... well, Honda (Acura) isn't really looking at most Accord customers as their target buyers. Rather, they're trying to compete with the entry level luxury segment ie. the A4, C300/350, BMW 328/330i, Lexus IS and win over their potential buyers.

The problem is, with the car (type S) priced the way it is, you might as well throw in the luxury midsize cars (the base models at least) into discussion, since the TLX is even LONGER than the Accord (yet with a smaller backseat) and almost as long as midsize luxury cars length wise...

Personally, unless you only care about reliability and driving dynamics, I'd skip right over the base TLX. At 38k, it's very competitive against the Accord, but like y'all said, it's also missing a lot of options.

For me, I'd get at least one with tech package (yes, I'm speaking from experience lol) to make it worthwhile. The ELS audio alone to me is worth the extra 3k.

For the true performance oriented buyer, skip everything and go for the type S. That's what I plan to 5 years down the road, but I might try an A spec first because, honestly, the current Accord 2.0 has more performance than I need already.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The fact that you have to spend more than $400 just to add remote start to the base TLX is ridiculous.
I didn't know that, which further reinforces the point: Where's the value for a more upscale Honda if something like this isn't standard?

I agree, the TLX is a great car, but it misses a few big things.

Registered
2019 2.0 EXL
I would definitely be tempted to trade mine in and get a Type S (maybe 2nd or 3rd year though)!

Registered
Acuras usually look like pieces of art to me. The TLX is a beautiful styling exercise. It looks like the legroom was lost with the long hood.

port & polish everything
Probably mostly a marketing decision. 4 door coupes are a big thing in the luxury segment and they all compromise on interior space. Honda/Acura doesn't build coupes anymore also, they may also be trying to straddle two body styles with one model.

If the main consideration is interior volume as mentioned get RDX/MDX or stay with the accord. Probably similar reason Honda doesn't build a 2.0T CRV, they don't mind if you step up to the RDX.

If look at mostly interior volume specs, the Honda Fit is bigger inside than MB AMG CLA45. Then also the Civic is bigger inside than the Tesla S and 3. The EVs do have to package the big battery but no one ever complains how cramped Teslas are inside.

The TLX was designed low and thus "squashed", wide but with wide fender flares. Then on top of that the platform has to hold V6 and wishbones with bigger engine compartment. There was going to be compromises on packaging and interior volume.

Despite the criticisms seems like reviewers mostly love the TLX SH-AWD. The Accord's steering and rotation are on the slow side.

Reactions: Hudouc

Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
Despite the criticisms seems like reviewers mostly love the TLX SH-AWD. The Accord's steering and rotation are on the slow side.
Acura cars have better suspensions and sportier attributes. That鈥檚 the reason to buy one. Plush ride with a large interior was not a good seller, which is why the RLX was discontinued here.

Registered
The TLX is MUCH better looking.
I didn't know that, which further reinforces the point: Where's the value for a more upscale Honda if something like this isn't standard?

I agree, the TLX is a great car, but it misses a few big things.
I suppose there is the fact that I'm comparing the top-trim Accord with the base TLX... but still. Something like remote start should come standard on any premium-brand offering.

There's other things too- like fog lights (which I know aren't actually all that useful with modern cars- but I like them. The lack of wireless Apple Carplay and Android auto is also something that's a big standout to me with the TLX. (I'm not sure that you get that even on higher trim levels). Wireless charging is a $400 option on Base and Technology trims. For some foolish reason, blind-spot monitoring isn't standard on the base trim either. Rain-sensing wipers isn't standard either.

Bus, as DARKART says... the TLX is a very, VERY good-looking car compared to the Accord.

Acura cars have better suspensions and sportier attributes. That鈥檚 the reason to buy one. Plush ride with a large interior was not a good seller, which is why the RLX was discontinued here.
The RLX was a strange animal for sure. Acura never really was competitive in that segment- at least not since the Legend back in the early 1990s.

Reactions: Samuelx

2018 HAH Touring
The interior space was taken away to lengthen the front and hood and give it a lower sportier rear wheel drive stance.
I drove Acura coupes since 1988 but my used Touring at half the $ is great. Spent a lot on this new platform but they won't sell many in an SUV market.

Registered
2017 Honda Accord, Coupe, Touring (V6, 6AT), 2017 Honda Accord Sedan, EXL V6 w/ Navi, Sensing
@outersquare nailed it. The TLX is a four door coupe. As we all seem to agree, it鈥檚 not a family sedan. It could be a 鈥渒ids are grown up and gone鈥 car.

I looked at getting a V6 TLX prior to buying our recent MDX. We also have a couple Touring Accords (one coupe one sedan) and an ELX Accord sedan, all with V6s. The Accords are a much better use of space and resources. The TLX had to be an Anvanced to (not quite) match the Accord Touring, and it still didn鈥檛 have car play (we looked at a 鈥19ish, I think).

If the older (4th gen, 鈥09-鈥14) 3.7L V6 TLXs didn鈥檛 have the oil consumption issue, I think I鈥檇 pick up one of those to rip around in on the weekends.

If Acura would just remove the rear doors from the TLX we wouldn鈥檛 even have this discussion, other than Acura lagging Honda on technology). And there would be a coupe to replace the 9th gen Accord, which some of us would love.

8th Gen Believer
Reliability is my thing. I've been on the TLX forum since 2015 before the tidal wave of electronics. The ZF trannies, the howling subframes, not ready to make that move yet.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The TLX is MUCH better looking.
No argument here...I love the looks of the Type S. In fairness it's probably more targeted at the 3 series or S4 buyer that @outersquare mentioned.

Haha, it's not for mid-life crisis dads that want a family car lol

Registered
2018 Honda Accord Touring 2.0T

The TLX in general is the better looking of the two cars. But it鈥檚 so flawed compared to the Accord鈥 My Acura store is getting a Type-S as a demo the third week of June. It better be really good.

CORB52
I'm leaving out the Type S here because it think its in another category. I own 2 Accords, have owned 2 Acuras plus drive dealer trades for Honda so I follow both brands closely. IMHO the base TLX looks better than a Touring Accord and reviews says it has a better stereo system. But (as many of you pointed out well) its short on many Touring Accord's features, at least a half a sec slower in the quarter mile compared to the Accord 2.0, gets about 3 miles/gallon less in gas mileage (runs on premium gas so it might as well be 6 miles/gallon and I do not need AWD) and costs at least 12k more with the Advance and A-Spec packages to bring the TLX up to the Accord's features. Also, maintenance is 3 times as high ($40 Accord oil change vs $120 TLX for example). Always loved sports sedans and like the new TLX but a Touring Accord would have to be my choice.

Registered
I have no idea where those 5.5 inches of legroom went in the TLX vs the Accord. The large backseat is something that really is valued in the family car market- maybe Acura didn't think that potential buyers would mind the loss of 5.5" of legroom. There's still a decent amount of space back there- but you're right- it's noticeably
smaller than the Accord- which has a HUGE back seat.
It seems like Honda has figured out lately how to squeeze in a huge amount of rear legroom, since both the 10th Gen Accord and 5th Gen CR-V have those 40.4 inches.

With the exception of full-size luxury sedans like the S-Class and 7 Series, are there cars/SUVs at all that have as generous rear seat dimensions as Honda offers?

Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
Can鈥檛 agree more!!!

My initial feeling on that backseat and cargo space 鈥 what the f**k is this interior space?!

My second feeling after knowing 5鈥 or so of wheelbase is solely reserved for making it RWD looking 鈥 who the f**k made this decision?!

I think Honda/Acura designers are totally blind minded when deciding to sacrifice that interior room for looking. Didn鈥檛 they look at the 1:3 sales figures for Lexus IS vs ES? Isn鈥檛 10th gen Accord good-looking with class-leading interior space?

It is 100% correct to make it RWD styled, but it is 100% questionable to sacrifice that much interior space to achieve this. Look at Volvo S60 and Audi A4 鈥 both are much shorter outside than TLX but have comparable rear legroom numbers.

Making it so long comes at a price 鈥 near 4000lb weight. As we all know, weight is the enemy of everything from fuel economy to 0-60 to braking. Therefore, people expect more benefits to compensate these, like interior space.

Personally, I鈥檇 be willing to upgrade to TLX from Accord to enjoy SH-AWD, upgraded interior material, improved driving dynamics, and values, if the existing advantages of Accord are preserved in TLX.

Given the great success of Accord generations after generation, these Accord owners are more bonded to Honda/Acura and more likely to choose a TLX for upgrade luxury feeling. That鈥檚 how Lexus has made ES such a success. So, why does Acura give a TLX with such cramped interior space to surprise their Accord owners? I鈥檓 so deeply puzzled...

Reverse Gear
About to pull the trigger on a TLX tech myself. Disappointed in the back seat legroom, not loving the engine sound under acceleration, should have remote start and fog lights like the accord does. But the interior is absolutely gorgeous. $2500 back if you own a Honda and 0.9% financing for 60 months is rare on a car like that.
Just had two days with an Accord Sport 1.5 as a loaner. I would鈥檝e considered an accord EXL 2.0 but they stopped making it. If it鈥檚 between an accord touring (3 on the dealer lot, my color combo is not there, less discount than we鈥檙e accustomed to) and a TLX tech with every color combo on the lot and decent discounts, I think TLX wins.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts