Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Sport 2.0T 10AT ‘Modern Steel’
31 Posts
Agreed. The Accord is just so amazingly roomy compared to the competitors. The TLX is fine back there. It’s totally fine in general because the Accord is second to none. The back doors don’t swing open as wide as they probably should but I don’t really care about that.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Hey, I’m 6’3” and mostly legs. I have sat in the 21 TLX. There’s plenty of room for me in front and I can sit in the back seat (behind myself). I would not want to be there for a cross country road trip but it would be acceptable. It’s quite similar to (actually a little roomier than) a Mercedes CLS.
That's my (and probably many others) usual test. I'm also 6'3“ with a 34.5“ inseam. Purchasing pants is always a challenge. I could not sit comfortably "behind" myself, and we have other adults with us frequently enough that we don't want them to be uncomfortable. There's less backseat room in the new TLX than the 2016 - 2021 Civic sedans/hatchbacks.

It's a great car, just not a family car, and that's not really its purpose, although we wish it was.

·
Registered
31 Posts
So for those curious. I’ve had the TLX ASpec since Friday now. Traded in the 2020 Accord 2.0T Sport after all. Much to Acura’s surprise they nearly matched the generous Carvana offer. This ELS system...my god! Heaven. Here are some observations:

- Note: I have never been in the Touring Accord. Suspension and ride quality in the TLX is far superior and softer than my Sport. Beefier tires, double wishbone suspension, etc. This ASpec doesn’t have the adaptive dampeners even. Very quiet cabin and softer than I expected.

- Feels bulkier which it is but still nimble. SH-AWD is awesome.

-Cabin is really special. Like the pics and videos don’t do it justice. Same with exterior styling, body lines, and that mean front grill/lights. Really striking. Nothing was really wrong per se with the Accord but this TLX is really something.

- The Accord 2.0T still is a fine engine and an excellent handling car. It feels a little faster off the line. Obviously it’s lighter and FWD. The TLX feels really powerful in the mid-range. It would catch the Honda sooner or later.

-Overall I‘m super impressed and thrilled with it. I think it’s worth the move if one can swing it especially if you are looking for better ride quality, a much more impressive cabin, and craving a killer sound system. I think the car is worth the price difference without question. Just my $.02. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Well guys I’m doing it. Put a deposit down for an ASpec SH-AWD. Black/Red combo hopefully or if not then Black/Black will work. They have to locate a Black/Red one. Acura (much to their suprise) pretty much matched my Carvana offer. Nearly 27K with 9500 mi. There is a $2500 Honda/Acura loyalty rebate and they knocked a little off of MSRP. A couple of dealers wouldn’t budge. It feels much more buttoned down/sturdy than the Honda (I didn’t have any rattles/wind noise or anything like that) and the interior is awesome. Really dope styling and the ELS system is incredible. The ergonomics of the cabin feels really cool with the low dash...cockpit feel. Materials are very nice. Cabin feels cozy and enough room for me and the cello. That’s it, ha. My payments will be lower too. This was a no brainer and rare opportunity I think. Cheers.
Congrats on closing but again: how are your payments lower now? You wrote you just paid off the accord.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I dumped all the value/equity of the Honda into the TLX. Paid off the Honda and had the title free and clear. $2500 off Loyalty rebate. Additional $1500 off of MSRP. $1000 down/deposit. I’m financing a little over 18K total.

·
Reverse Gear
980 Posts
We also got a TLX tech SH-AWD 2 weeks ago. I sold one of our 2015 accord V6 sedans to a used car dealer for $800 less than I bought it (from Honda after leasing it) 3 years ago. The TLX is for my wife. It’s an awesome car. I still have my ‘15 accord V6 so I can drive them back to back. I like everything about the TLX but here are the things my accord does better:

The V6 engine even after 6 years of ownership still gives me goosebumps. The TLX’s engine is really good for an I4 but there is no comparison to the J series V6’s.

The TLX front is longer and if I have to come out of an intersection where there are trees or cars parked, I have to move up too much to be able to see if there are cars coming.

The TLX is wider and for me the accord is wide enough.

The accord has a bigger trunk.

The interior in the TLX has unbelievably comfortable front seats. The back seat is fine for me, but a bit claustrophobic compared to the accord.

The SH-AWD which I didn’t expect to notice, really makes the car more enjoyable to drive and the handling is amazing without compromising ride quality. However there is a significant MPG penalty for AWD.

I usually follow my wife and get the same car, but I’m a bit hesitant to get a TLX. I already drove a ‘20 accord as a loaner and that’s not for me either. I’m interested in seeing the next Honda Civic SI. I’d also like to drive a Jetta GLI if I could find one. Hearing that Mazda discontinued the mazda 6 was a bummer because that car might have been good for me.

Reactions: CelloTrojan

·
Registered
31 Posts
We also got a TLX tech SH-AWD 2 weeks ago. I sold one of our 2015 accord V6 sedans to a used car dealer for $800 less than I bought it (from Honda after leasing it) 3 years ago. The TLX is for my wife. It’s an awesome car. I still have my ‘15 accord V6 so I can drive them back to back. I like everything about the TLX but here are the things my accord does better:

The V6 engine even after 6 years of ownership still gives me goosebumps. The TLX’s engine is really good for an I4 but there is no comparison to the J series V6’s.

The TLX front is longer and if I have to come out of an intersection where there are trees or cars parked, I have to move up too much to be able to see if there are cars coming.

The interior in the TLX has unbelievably comfortable front seats. The back seat is fine for me, but a bit claustrophobic compared to the accord.

The SH-AWD which I didn’t expect to notice, really makes the car more enjoyable to drive and the handling is amazing without compromising ride quality. However there is a significant MPG penalty for AWD.

I usually follow my wife and get the same car, but I’m a bit hesitant to get a TLX. I already drove a ‘20 accord as a loaner and that’s not for me either. I’m interested in seeing the next Honda Civic SI. I’d also like to drive a Jetta GLI if I could find one. Hearing that Mazda discontinued the mazda 6 was a bummer because that car might have been good for me.
Wow. Really re: Mazda 6? I think that Carbon Edition looks great. Dated infotainment but I don’t care a ton about that. Jetta GLIs seem very solid and zip around well with their smaller compact size.

Yeah, TLX is a little cramped in the backseat compared to the Accord. Probably more in line with a Mazda 6 back there. But the car is just SO pleasant inside. Very sharp. Really dig the ambient lighting too.

Agreed with the SH-AWD. It’s fun feeling the power sent to the back wheels coming out of turns for instance. Excellent vehicle.

·
Reverse Gear
980 Posts
Wow. Really re: Mazda 6? I think that Carbon Edition looks great. Dated infotainment but I don’t care a ton about that. Jetta GLIs seem very solid and zip around well with their smaller compact size.

Yeah, TLX is a little cramped in the backseat compared to the Accord. Probably more in line with a Mazda 6 back there. But the car is just SO pleasant inside. Very sharp. Really dig the ambient lighting too.

Agreed with the SH-AWD. It’s fun feeling the power sent to the back wheels coming out of turns for instance. Excellent vehicle.
BTW, Nice car - saw the pictures over on the TLX forum.

Reactions: CelloTrojan

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts

Less than a Honda Civic” just CAN’T justify its 195 in exterior dimension for a FWD-based modern sedan…

·
Registered
105 Posts
View attachment 531234
Less than a Honda Civic” just CAN’T justify its 195 in exterior dimension for a FWD-based modern sedan…
How else do they lament the drop in sedan sales while simultaneously sizing cars like a yacht like the entire car industry? And any smaller sedan has to be made an econobox instead of an actual quality vehicle so clearly they must make the TLX as long as possible!

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts
How else do they lament the drop in sedan sales while simultaneously sizing cars like a yacht like the entire car industry? And any smaller sedan has to be made an econobox instead of an actual quality vehicle so clearly they must make the TLX as long as possible!
I assume they design this new TLX to make more profit, which means it should cater for most people's expectations.

Then I am puzzled: the TLX interior dimensions almost make it like a 2-door coupe as someone commented before. Has any of you heard of a sedan's 2-door version outsales 4-door version? Has any car maker released a brand new sedan from coupe version to doom its sales figure from beginning?

The Civic and Accord are both quality vehicles despite being 'econobox'.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I assume they design this new TLX to make more profit, which means it should cater for most people's expectations.

Then I am puzzled: the TLX interior dimensions almost make it like a 2-door coupe as someone commented before. Has any of you heard of a sedan's 2-door version outsales 4-door version? Has any car maker released a brand new sedan from coupe version to doom its sales figure from beginning?

The Civic and Accord are both quality vehicles despite being 'econobox'.

If that’s all you are concerned with then I get it. It’s a bit cramped. Big difference between the Accord and the TLX. I’d say this is more in line with a Civic backseat or a Mazda 6. It’s a bit tight sure but I don’t have a family. Just the cello. Acura has stated that they shrunk the cabin and bolstered other parts of the car. For numerous reasons you can look up. Mostly for rigidity/chassis stability. Personally I love it. Gives it a bit more of a “coupe”/cockpit feel yet it looks like it has some parameters of a RWD car. It’s unique for sure.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

TLX Type S?

Same car with zero compromises... other than the room and size issues of course because it’s essentially the same car with better performance.

Mazda6 is getting canceled, but I heard somewhere online that the next Mazda to replace it will be RWD. If it’s similarly priced to the Accord, that can be great news actually.

Reactions: BenzAccord

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's a shame Honda doesn't offer an Accord "Elite" like they do with the Odyssey. Give me a decent sound system with a bigger screen, a heated steering wheel, a fully adjustable passenger seat w/lumbar, and the same soft-touch door treatment in the rear doors as the front, some half-way decent carpet, and MAYBE the pano roof offered elsewhere and I'd pay another 2K for it. Or just offer an advanced sound system on the Touring. I don't want to spend 50k+ on cars anymore. I just want a great, fun to drive car at a fair price. The Accord is as close as it gets, but would love one more step up. Something like Kia's top trim in an Accord. I don't want/need the Acura flair or added performance, but some do and it's great to have that option.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It's a shame Honda doesn't offer an Accord "Elite" like they do with the Odyssey. Give me a decent sound system with a bigger screen, a heated steering wheel, a fully adjustable passenger seat w/lumbar, and the same soft-touch door treatment in the rear doors as the front, some half-way decent carpet, and MAYBE the pano roof offered elsewhere and I'd pay another 2K for it. Or just offer an advanced sound system on the Touring. I don't want to spend 50k+ on cars anymore. I just want a great, fun to drive car at a fair price. The Accord is as close as it gets, but would love one more step up. Something like Kia's top trim in an Accord. I don't want/need the Acura flair or added performance, but some do and it's great to have that option.
Simple answer: They don’t want to kill Acura TLX’s sales.

An Accord Touring as it sits now is almost 37k. Factor in another 2k increase trim for trim in 11th gen makes it 39k, possibly. If you add 2k and get all the stuff you mentioned in your post, nobody in their right mind would get a TLX base, or TLX Fwd with tech package. Worse yet, someone on the fence at AWD family sedan might think, hell, I don’t need AWD, might as well just get the Accord.

That’s why I think two things: AWD and a sound system CLOSE to the ELS 3D system in the TLX likely won’t happen in the Accord. But the Civic just got the Bose in the Touring, which will likely make things very interesting in the next Touring. I’ll be shocked if it’s anything close to the system in the TLX though. We’ll see. 😉

·
CORB52
21 Posts
I'm leaving out the Type S here because it think its in another category. I own 2 Accords, have owned 2 Acuras plus drive dealer trades for Honda so I follow both brands closely. IMHO the base TLX looks better than a Touring Accord and reviews says it has a better stereo system. But (as many of you pointed out well) its short on many Touring Accord's features, at least a half a sec slower in the quarter mile compared to the Accord 2.0, gets about 3 miles/gallon less in gas mileage (runs on premium gas so it might as well be 6 miles/gallon and I do not need AWD) and costs at least 12k more with the Advance and A-Spec packages to bring the TLX up to the Accord's features. Also, maintenance is 3 times as high ($40 Accord oil change vs $120 TLX for example). Always loved sports sedans and like the new TLX but a Touring Accord would have to be my choice.
To prove my point about performance.

Watch the Accord 2.0 smoke the TLX.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Accord is tuned so well. So quick off the line. I really love my TLX ASpec however I traded in the Accord 2.0T in for. Plenty of power especially in the mid range. Just took it through some mountain roads in MD/WV on a road trip and the SH-AWD really bailed me out, ha. There were times I was going 90-100mph and it felt effortless. The cabin is an awesome place to be in and the ELS system would blow away any Bose.

·
CORB52
21 Posts
It’s really not that bad considering how much heavier the TLX is though.
I get that point Honda2014 and you are getting SHAWD with the TLX but no way should Honda allow the TLX be slower than the Accord. They could have easily up the torque in the TLX.

41 - 60 of 79 Posts