Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I get that point Honda2014 and you are getting SHAWD with the TLX but no way should Honda allow the TLX be slower than the Accord. They could have easily up the torque in the TLX.
I agree, but hey as long as people are willing to pay more for the car, they’re good. I personally don’t see many TLX owners (as in non-type S) caring as much about straight line acceleration. At least, not theoretically, otherwise the sales would be abysmal.

Plus, they gotta give people a reason to buy the type S, no? 😉

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts
I agree, but hey as long as people are willing to pay more for the car, they’re good. I personally don’t see many TLX owners (as in non-type S) caring as much about straight line acceleration. At least, not theoretically, otherwise the sales would be abysmal.

Plus, they gotta give people a reason to buy the type S, no? 😉
I get that point Honda2014 and you are getting SHAWD with the TLX but no way should Honda allow the TLX be slower than the Accord. They could have easily up the torque in the TLX.
The new TLX requires premium gas, which is another con vs Accord 2.0T…They both have 9.8 compression ratio, so what’s the point of premium gas? To demonstrate this is a premium car over Accord? It should at least allow regular to run and give same 252hp, just like how Mazda tunes their 2.5T.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The new TLX requires premium gas, which is another con vs Accord 2.0T…They both have 9.8 compression ratio, so what’s the point of premium gas? To demonstrate this is a premium car over Accord? It should at least allow regular to run and give same 252hp, just like how Mazda tunes their 2.5T.
Good point. I know some Acura’s, like the last gen MDX and 09-14 TSX, recommended premium rather than required it. Point well taken, that really should be an option with the new TLX too. I wonder how it’d perform with the regular though...

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts
I wonder how it’d perform with the regular though...
In fact, not that much difference.

Mazda is quoting 320 lbft and 250 hp from 93 octane, but 310 lbft and 227 hp from 87 octane. So, the 87-fed torque figure is still healthy for daily use.

Just took a look at Lexus sedans. Both ES350 and ES300h (which people consider as TLX competitor) run fine with 87 octane…

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
In fact, not that much difference.

Mazda is quoting 320 lbft and 250 hp from 93 octane, but 310 lbft and 227 hp from 87 octane. So, the 87-fed torque figure is still healthy for daily use.

Just took a look at Lexus sedans. Both ES350 and ES300h (which people consider as TLX competitor) run fine with 87 octane…
Oh sure I’m aware of Mazda’s reduced numbers and I’m sure Lexus ES will be fine on regular(which, as we know, shares the 3.5V6 with Avalon and Camry). I’m just wondering how it’ll perform given its weight with the reduced hp rating... in other words, if the 272hp TLX is already considered slow in straight line compared to Accord 2.0t, how much slower it’s going to be with the regular? Just curious.

·
Registered
82 Posts
No, the TLX does not REQUIRE premium gas; it’s just recommended. See page 514 of the owners manual.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts
No, the TLX does not REQUIRE premium gas; it’s just recommended. See page 514 of the owners manual.
That’s interesting.

I wonder why on epa website it only says premium gas? Mazda 2.5T models for example, is quoted regular on epa website.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Acura’s are nice and drive nice but for the money you would think it would look better than the Accord but it doesn’t in my opinion, especially the Accord Sport. The front of the Acura looks good but the back is ugly in my opinion… but then again many people say that about the Accord.

Reactions: Ziyang

·
Registered
82 Posts
That’s interesting.

I wonder why on epa website it only says premium gas? Mazda 2.5T models for example, is quoted regular on epa website.
I’d be more likely to trust Acura than the EPA.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts
I’d be more likely to trust Acura than the EPA.
Thanks for the correction.

I did more research online, and this consumer report article is closely related:

It seems all Acura models other than NSX only recommend premium gas. Adding regular gas will possibly lead to some decreased power output especially on hot days, but that’s the only one drawback of regular gas.

It is interesting that even the Type-S 3.0T merely recommends premium gas. I wonder how these engines (2.0T and 3.0T in TLX models) would perform with regular gas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
It’s really not that bad considering how much heavier the TLX is though.
700 pound difference is pretty huge, but the accord does smoke the TLX. He walked him by like a good bus length and a half and brakes hard when reaching whatever point considering the TLX got the jump from the start with the AWD. Reminds me of the comparison videos of two equal cars going at it but one is modified with basic bolt ons and the other is bone stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Local dealer didn't have the Aspec anywhere to be seen outside but now understand the no backseat and long hood comments. Standard SH shown here, not worth the added cost in this package, but Aspec:unsure:

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
In case you haven't seen the Type S performance results:

Haven't seen any at the local Acura dealer(s), but I'll keep an eye out. Good but not great straight line performance, amazing handling, impeccable interior from the looks of it. At 4201 lbs, it's about 900lbs heavier that our Accord...no wonder its acceleration numbers are only OK considering the engine output.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded in my 19’ Sport 2.0 6-speed for this 2021 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD in Apex Blue Pearl Memorial Day Weekend. 2 months later, no regrets! I did the deal because I traded the Accord in for $1500 more than I payed for it 2 years prior new, and was able to haggle 4,000 off the Acura. The Accord was also going to need new tires soon and a 30,000 mile service.

I’ve read all your comments back and fourth. Let me first say the the chassis/structure is light years ahead of the Accord. I’ll take the 600 pound weight gain and .3-.5 seconds slower to 60 MPH…it’s still a rocket. The TLX doesn’t “bobble” around slow right hand turns like the Accord does, it corners in general so much better. The SH-AWD system puts the power (and shows you in the display) the output of each wheel, and as you turn, it will over turn the outer wheels more for a faster turn.

The three different dynamic modes, along with the 27 different colored ambient lighting is awesome. You can truly feel the difference in steering, engine and shocks with each. And you also have a customizable setting.

The sheet metal doesn’t wobble like the accord when you touch it, and doesn’t look wavy like it does on the accord either. The paint feels and looks better as well. The Apex Blue Pearl is an amazing color that changes from a bright blue, to a darker blue/purple almost, depending on light.

The TLX is most definitely quieter on the inside while cruising, especially on uneven pavement.
In Sport mode, Acura pipes in fake engine noise, but I actually like it.

My favorite feature though is the 17 SPEAKER audio system. I have never enjoyed music so much until now!

I don’t give a crap that the back seat is smaller than the Accord. The front seats in the Acura definitely have more knee space which was important to me.

I’ve always loved and admired the power train In my old accord, the K20C4 is an amazing engine, and I’m glad that is in my TLX. Ironically the engine code in the Acura is K20C6, I’m assuming because of AWD.

By no means am I trying to rip on the Accord or put it down, the Acura should be a better vehicle for $16,000 more, and it definitely is. To some of you it’s not worth it, to some of you it is. As a long time Honda fan boy, I’m happy.

Attachments

·
2018 Sport 2.0T 6MT
93 Posts
I traded in my 19’ Sport 2.0 6-speed for this 2021 TLX A-Spec SH-AWD in Apex Blue Pearl Memorial Day Weekend. 2 months later, no regrets! I did the deal because I traded the Accord in for $1500 more than I payed for it 2 years prior new, and was able to haggle 4,000 off the Acura. The Accord was also going to need new tires soon and a 30,000 mile service.

I’ve read all your comments back and fourth. Let me first say the the chassis/structure is light years ahead of the Accord. I’ll take the 600 pound weight gain and .3-.5 seconds slower to 60 MPH…it’s still a rocket. The TLX doesn’t “bobble” around slow right hand turns like the Accord does, it corners in general so much better. The SH-AWD system puts the power (and shows you in the display) the output of each wheel, and as you turn, it will over turn the outer wheels more for a faster turn.

The three different dynamic modes, along with the 27 different colored ambient lighting is awesome. You can truly feel the difference in steering, engine and shocks with each. And you also have a customizable setting.

The sheet metal doesn’t wobble like the accord when you touch it, and doesn’t look wavy like it does on the accord either. The paint feels and looks better as well. The Apex Blue Pearl is an amazing color that changes from a bright blue, to a darker blue/purple almost, depending on light.

The TLX is most definitely quieter on the inside while cruising, especially on uneven pavement.
In Sport mode, Acura pipes in fake engine noise, but I actually like it.

My favorite feature though is the 17 SPEAKER audio system. I have never enjoyed music so much until now!

I don’t give a crap that the back seat is smaller than the Accord. The front seats in the Acura definitely have more knee space which was important to me.

I’ve always loved and admired the power train In my old accord, the K20C4 is an amazing engine, and I’m glad that is in my TLX. Ironically the engine code in the Acura is K20C6, I’m assuming because of AWD.

By no means am I trying to rip on the Accord or put it down, the Acura should be a better vehicle for $16,000 more, and it definitely is. To some of you it’s not worth it, to some of you it is. As a long time Honda fan boy, I’m happy.
Thanks for sharing. I like the TLX. The idea of trading my Accord for one has been in the back of my mind since the 2021 update was released. It's just hard for me to let go of the Accord due to its unmatched practicality - limousine-like rear seat room and SUV-like cargo capacity, coupled with what I consider to be good looks, decent dynamics/performance, and low cost of ownership. Since I don't have kids, it's rare that I utilize 100% of the practicality, but when I do, it sure is nice. I'm sure I could get by with the slightly reduced practicality of the TLX. Oh yeah, then there's the transmission. It's going to be really hard to let go of the 6MT knowing it will likely be my last MT car.

I think I would truly enjoy the improved design, dynamics, ride, NVH, and audio system. The question is (like always): will I enjoy it enough to justify the increased cost and reduced practicality. Time will tell. I'm still really happy with my Accord. If anything, I'll likely wait until I can get a used 2021 A-Spec SH-AWD for around $30k before I jump in. That might take a while.

Reactions: ThrillHill

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I totally get that on price and decision making. I would NEVER go out and spend $48,000 on a TLX…that’s Acura’s problem on this vehicle IMO….and $53,000 for the Type-S AND 5-10K IN ADM…no thanks. I only made the upgrade because of the 11K in equity I had on the Accord, and the 4K off the Acura. So to me, I paid 33K for the Acura, now that’s worth it….to me. And my kids fit in the back just fine and say that the seats are much more comfortable.
I will say a cooler does not fit in the TLX and the same cooler fit in the accord….opening too small. So theirs that on practically.

To be honest also coming from the 6-speed Accord 2.0, it wasn’t hard to let it go…the ten speed auto does really well. In sport mode, if you decelerate just the slightest, it drops down the gears aggressively for you, ready for you to accelerate again….and the older I’m getting, I’m over shifting. The Accord 2.0 6-speed will always be a Honda Gem. 20 years from now they will still be modded out!

·
Honda Enthusiast
2017 CR2 Sport 6MT CBP
3,239 Posts
, I'll likely wait until I can get a used 2021 A-Spec SH-AWD for around $30k before I jump in. That might take a while.
I’ll wait until I can get one for about $15K.

·
Registered
2020 Accord Hybrid EX-L
381 Posts
In my opinion the true luxury version of Accord is Lexus ES.

I had a chance to drive my friend’s 2021 ES250 AWD. It’a handling is precise and agile — better than my Accord hybrid. It’s ride is isolated — I can’t believe an interior can be so quiet. It’s luxury features surely justify the price delta — plus the enormous interior room.

Before test-driving this 2021 ES250 AWD, I also had a month with an old 2008 ES350 FWD. That one, being fairly old, is still quick, efficient (highway 30mpg for 3.5V6), no body roll, luxury (wood trim, memory includes seat setting, side mirror setting, and power steering wheel position in a 13-year old car!).

When it’s time to upgrade from my Accord hybrid, I’d go for Lexus ES. Not sure whether I’d choose the 3.5 V6 or 2.5 hybrid powertrain, but either way won’t disappoint me!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
very interesting review of the TLX:

61 - 79 of 79 Posts