Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re 2007 EX-L I4 5AT
I see the owner's manual is pretty adamant about using Honda-brand heavy duty brake fluid. At the risk of triggering a civil war here, is there a consensus about whether using Honda's brake fluid is either necessary or recommended? I'm generally skeptical of requirements to use OEM supplies, but I'm also aware of some instances where it's legit.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I'm a big proponent of OEM parts and fluids. But with motor oil and brake fluid, I believe you can do better than OEM. Brake fluid is a spec. And so is motor oil.

I used Valvoline DOT 3/4 last time around and have no problems. It's $7 for a quart.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
+1 on what Chris said....

·
Ken
334 Posts
Go OEM if you can but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it. All others if it's inaccessible or if you're looking at more of a performance application. It's cheap money (about $6 a bottle by me) but a good equivalent brand won't do any harm either. I'm pretty much just mirroring what Chris and Rick are saying.

·
Super Moderator
6,810 Posts
I do the same, Valvoline also has higher dry and wet boiling point than OEM Honda brake fluid.

·
Car so nice, bought twice
4,708 Posts
Been using Motul RBF600 for past couple of years with no issue. The manual makes it sound like the brake system will explode doing that.

Just don't use a DOT5 fluid.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
They put the same warning against using non OEM brake fluid as the PS fluid. The PS fluid and trans fluid matters. I think with the brake fluid they're just trying to sell their own fluid. They admit it's okay to use it as long as you replace it with the OEM brake fluid. They just want you to buy their fluid ultimately.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,488 Posts
I use just about everything OEM, except for oil. I order my parts online, so while I'm ordering I get whatever I will need in the foreseeable future. The little bottles of Honda brake fluid are usually just enough to change pads and bleed the fluid front or rear. I don't like to save opened containers of brake fluid, so I don't want large bottles.

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
I don't like to save opened containers of brake fluid, so I don't want large bottles.
That is an excellent point, BLCKFLSH. Brake fluid is hygroscopic- it attracts water in the atmosphere. After enough time, the accumulated water can be measured and will reduce the effectiveness of the brake fluid, and can even begin a corrosive attack from within.

Even if the bottle cap is on tight, I don't like to use brake fluid from a container that was opened more than 3 months earlier. Brake fluid is cheap, so I try to get just what is needed.

You should change your brake fluid every 3 years....I know some members here wait much longer and don't have problems. It is so cheap and fast to change it, I do mine more often.

Side note: Agree with Honda automatic transmission fluid. Some may get lucky with Amsoil, but those that buy the store brand "safe for all cars ever made or that will ever be made" are on borrowed time. Hondas just don't like that stuff.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,167 Posts
I decided to use Honda fluid since I was getting the PS fluid and coolant... I'm not exactly religious about it but the price was competitive on Amazon with other products I'd trust so I went with it. As long as you follow the DOT rating any fluid should be fine.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
what is the best going rate for honda brake fluid?

·
Reverse Gear
1,043 Posts
Side note: Agree with Honda automatic transmission fluid. Some may get lucky with Amsoil, but those that buy the store brand "safe for all cars ever made or that will ever be made" are on borrowed time. Hondas just don't like that stuff.
With the notorious failures in 2nd Gen Odyssey's, we used Amsoil in our 2002 Honda Odyssey's transmission. Never had a problem. That was back then. As I understand it, the newer Honda ATF is also synthetic, and had it been available at the time, I wouldn't have hesitated to use it.

I appreciate the comments above about being able to use non-honda brake fluid. On my '07, that was the one fluid, (besides Amsoil Manual Transmission Oil), that I didn't use OEM for.

I grew to really appreciate synthetic transmission oil back in 1985. In our Jersey Shore town, the temperature hit -5 F. We had two Toyota Celicas in my household. One had Amsoil in the tranny, the other had Dino oil. When both were started, the Amsoil one went right into gear. The Dino one took 10 minutes of running the engine before I could move the gear shifter.

·
Don't drink and drive
5,187 Posts
Really? Honda Coolant only? Please!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
You can use any coolant that meets the ASTM D-3306 standard.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One of my friends has a 05 accord 4cyl auto with around 230k miles on it now, and has never had any fluids changed. They bought it new, and it has had a hard life. The only thing that has been done is spark plugs a couple times, and a couple alternators because he has a system. I'm surprise how well it has held up with almost no maintenance.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
One of my friends has a 05 accord 4cyl auto with around 230k miles on it now, and has never had any fluids changed. They bought it new, and it has had a hard life. The only thing that has been done is spark plugs a couple times, and a couple alternators because he has a system. I'm surprise how well it has held up with almost no maintenance.
Tell him to join up here and upload pics

·
Banned
14,429 Posts
You can use any coolant that meets the ASTM D-3306 standard.

@Greg: I wanted to add a note of caution to your truthful and short statement- I do not like to "mix" brands of coolant, because there are different levels of things in different brands of coolant, and no one knows how they react with one another under normal conditions.

A car's system may very well do fine under "coolant A" or "coolant B", but have those two coolants been tested in your specific car under various mix ratios? No! I have a 1991 Nissan 240sx, and on those forums I have read about weird things happening to the cooling system when two (or three) brands of coolant were mixed together. Something to do with different types of corrosion inhibitors not getting along well with one another.

·
Fear The Turtle!
2,167 Posts
@Greg: I wanted to add a note of caution to your truthful and short statement- I do not like to "mix" brands of coolant, because there are different levels of things in different brands of coolant, and no one knows how they react with one another under normal conditions.

A car's system may very well do fine under "coolant A" or "coolant B", but have those two coolants been tested in your specific car under various mix ratios? No! I have a 1991 Nissan 240sx, and on those forums I have read about weird things happening to the cooling system when two (or three) brands of coolant were mixed together. Something to do with different types of corrosion inhibitors not getting along well with one another.
To further this as to why I would recommend Honda's coolant, unless you totally flush the system there will always be some coolant leftover. Last thing you want is chemicals negating each other allowing corrosion, chemicals coagulating and forming little "gels" to clog passages, etc.

No how real is this... I don't know but I'm sure you can find some stories of people that had some funky things happening...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts