Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· 6th Gear
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who has an ungaraged 2011 Civic with 15K miles. He purchased this car new from a NJ Honda dealership.

Rust and corrosion have developed on the upper edge of the rocker panel on the passenger side, with a much smaller area of rust and corrosion on the same area below the driver's door. He said the rusted area was there before this past harsh winter, and with the car recently detailed, the area seemed to have gotten much larger. He wants to know if this would be covered by Honda's 5-year limited corrosion warranty. The owners manual states that surface or underbody rust is not covered but body panel rust is.

A local NJ body shop has estimated repairs of $4000 for both sides. The service manager at his Honda dealership has suggested that this may not be a warranty defect, but as a result of the nasty winter we had where he had to drive in frequent snowstorms. I'm not sure he was conscientous to rinse the car off following the storms. The regional manager has offered a partial reimbursement, leaving my friend responsible for the remaining $1300.

Looking at the attached photos he sent me, I suggested that it's quite possible that his passengers may have accidentally kicked or rubbed their shoes on these edges of the panel when entering/exiting the car. We know that a few kicks or rubs in a small spot can, over time, create a tiny rust spot, no bigger than an inch or so, and then the area can subsequently grow like a cancer when exposed to the elements.

Does my friend have a case with Honda? Are the body-color rocker panels considered part of the body (that is, a body panel) so it would fall under the corrosion warranty? All opinions/suggestions welcomed. :thmsup:

Attachments

· Banned
14,456 Posts
Looks like someone ran a snowthrower or shovel past the car....so I doubt it would be covered.

Where do they get $4,000 from, lol! (was that a joke?) That is a light sand, prime, paint, clear coat job....under $500 for both sides. You don't need filler, just have to stop the surface rust NOW before it becomes a $4,000 job.

· Registered
1,355 Posts
Looks like someone ran a snowthrower or shovel past the car....so I doubt it would be covered.

Where do they get $4,000 from, lol! (was that a joke?) That is a light sand, prime, paint, clear coat job....under $500 for both sides. You don't need filler, just have to stop the surface rust NOW before it becomes a $4,000 job.

Yeah, $ 4000 is insane. It looks like surface rust only from the pictures.
If someone is going to hand him a check for $ 2700 he should take it and run.

· 6th Gear
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your advice! If this was not from passengers, I can see where this could have been caused by a snowblower or shovel.

I passed on your info to my friend, especially about not getting ripped off by the ridiculous body shop estimate, and to get this repaired ASAP.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.