Drive Accord Honda Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took my 2 months old car for exterior cleaning and when they were buffing it up they burned the paint of the front bumper. They offered to fix it but when I went back I saw that the colors do not match and asked them to fix it properly. Then I learned that the dealer uses a body shop nearby to do its work and reviews for that body shop are pretty bad. Now here comes my concern, let's consider they fix it and paint color matches. How will that affect the value of my car? I know that every work dealer does on the car, gets reported in the carfax. Will the bumper paint job get reported as well? What should I ask in exchange from the dealer? New car? Free Oil changes? Any free extra warranty? I am not trying to rip them off but of course this damage caused to my new car will be detrimental to it's value in the future in case I do a trade in. Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

· Registered
215 Posts
Definitely a new car with 108 month/300,000 mile warranty and free oil changes for life and maybe some cash too. Don't let them off easy by letting them just repair their damage. You let them know you bought a Honda and there's no way that paint would get scratched, chipped or gouged, especially on the bumper, so now that it has a burn mark, even if they repair it back to the factory appearance, it's now worth less than a Huffy bicycle from Walmart and you won't stand for it. And that's what's up.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely a new car with 108 month/300,000 mile warranty and free oil changes for life and maybe some cash too. Don't let them off easy by letting them just repair their damage. You let them know you bought a Honda and there's no way that paint would get scratched, chipped or gouged, especially on the bumper, so now that it has a burn mark, even if they repair it back to the factory appearance, it's now worth less than a Huffy bicycle from Walmart and you won't stand for it. And that's what's up.
They admit that they caused the damage. So far they offered only to fix it themselves without charging me. Do you know if the work they are doing on the car will get reported to carfax? I doubt they will give new car to be honest lol...

· Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
my paint is factory and the bumpers don't match the body anymore. Sun fades metal v. plastic at different rates.

If it's close enough then be happy.

Bumper resprays I doubt anyone would care about for lower value. People care about accidents not whether or not you had the bumper repainted.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not an accident crash so why do you have to worry about Carfax, its not being reported to insurance either.
I worry because every service done at the dealer gets reported on carfax. Have you checked cars under warranty, you always see the dealer log every service done. I really do not care about getting anything from the dealer for free. I simply want paint job to get done right and the repaint job not to be listed under the vin of my car, because that for sure diminishes its value in the future when I trade it in. Problem is, how to make sure the dealer will not log the repaint job in the history of the vehicle...

my paint is factory and the bumpers don't match the body anymore. Sun fades metal v. plastic at different rates.

If it's close enough then be happy.

Bumper resprays I doubt anyone would care about for lower value. People care about accidents not whether or not you had the bumper repainted.
not talking craigslist people here. I am talking about dealer trade in. Those guys do everything to diminish your car value when you ask for trade in. Imagine if you hit their new car in the lot. will they let you just go away with paying the repair damages?

· Car so nice, bought twice
4,737 Posts
The point I'm getting at is that your car isn't going to be "minty fresh" forever. Want to see how many rock hits my bumper has taken in 20k miles? Let them get it to a "good enough" state, and ask them how they're logging it in their system. If it's just "bumper touch up" then no one is going to bat an eye at that in X years. Just make sure the body shop *isn't* recording it as "collision repair". Call them directly and ask...no one here can guess how they're dealing with logging it (if they're even logging it at all).

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The point I'm getting at is that your car isn't going to be "minty fresh" forever. Want to see how many rock hits my bumper has taken in 20k miles? Let them get it to a "good enough" state, and ask them how they're logging it in their system. If it's just "bumper touch up" then no one is going to bat an eye at that in X years. Just make sure the body shop *isn't* recording it as "collision repair". Call them directly and ask...no one here can guess how they're dealing with logging it (if they're even logging it at all).
yes you are right. I thought of that too. Just have to find out how they are going to log it in the system. Do you know if there is a way to verify? I wouldn't be surprised if they say no we didn't log it as collision then find out total different thing. They tried lying at least twice during the 2 day stay my car was there...

· Registered
101 Posts
You are worried about the trade in value right? How long do you normally keep your cars? If you keep it for any length of time this shouldn't have any effect on it's trade in value.

· Registered
63 Posts
I agree that this won't have much effect on trade in, and probably no effect if you keep it for several years. Wouldn't hurt to document it with pictures and receipts though, throw it in your file for trade in time down the road. Then take a load off your mind, as you've done all you can do.

· Registered
937 Posts
Let them re-paint the bumper, it is not a collision repair therefore should not be mentioned on the Carfax. If you're not happy with the job their body shop does then insist they have it re-done elsewhere. You didn't mention your car's color, but darker colors are particularly easy to match, lighter colors (particularly silver metallic) not so much. If you can't live with it, then get it repaired.

· Registered
763 Posts
I agree with the post above about light colors like silver and white. For some reason it seems like all new white cars have a mismatched bumper color. Something about white when painted on plastic vs metal causes the color to appear a shade different. The white paint on plastic always appears to be just a bit darker than the same color on metal. I was 90% of the way through a purchase on a white Ford Edge when I noticed the color difference and walked out of that deal.

· Registered
512 Posts
That won't get reported to carfax.

I agree with the post above about light colors like silver and white. For some reason it seems like all new white cars have a mismatched bumper color. Something about white when painted on plastic vs metal causes the color to appear a shade different. The white paint on plastic always appears to be just a bit darker than the same color on metal. I was 90% of the way through a purchase on a white Ford Edge when I noticed the color difference and walked out of that deal.
Its even worse if its a pearl white. I have yet to see a pearl white car from the factory have perfectly matched paint from every angle.

· Registered
937 Posts
Its even worse if its a pearl white. I have yet to see a pearl white car from the factory have perfectly matched paint from every angle.
"Most of the vehicle surface is metal whereas the bumper covers, mirror covers, mud guards, etc., are all plastic. Applying the same paint on plastic and metal can often result in a slightly different color appearance. This can be due to several factors. First, the plastic dissipates heat more slowly than metal (the paint dries slower), and drying time can be a key factor in paint appearance. As paint dries more slowly, metal flakes in the paint have more time to settle at different angles, and volatile chemicals have more time to evaporate – causing slight variance in the paint color. Another factor is that plastic can hold more static electricity charge than metal and, if not properly discharged before spraying, can cause metal flakes to align differently than on a metal surface. Substrate differences require different spraying techniques to minimize paint color variations. Well, now we have the color matched and we’ll use different spraying techniques to minimize the difference between the factory paint and the newly sprayed paint – the color must surely match now! Not necessarily. Most modern factories use electrostatic spray equipment to paint the metal surfaces of an automobile. While they use conventional spray equipment to paint the plastic surfaces. So, even vehicles coming off of the factory line can have slight variations in color due to the differences in spray equipment. And even accounting for all of these differences, colors can still seem slightly different simply due to the way light reflects and refracts off of curved surfaces (like a bumper) versus the relatively flat surfaces of the doors and hood."

Bumper Color that Doesn't Seem to Match the Original Factory Color | Automotive Quality Solutions

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
car is black. they seem to have perfectly matched now and claim that won't go on carfax because wasn't logged as collision repair. I buffed it because when I drove in the highway they were building some bridge and some hydraulic fluid dripped over my car. Couldn't get it all out but they did a good job with the exterior cleaning though.

· Registered
34 Posts
Never have your car cleaned at the dealership. Even most body shops don't know what they're doing with a rotary buffer. If this happens to anyone in the future, find a local reputable detailer and demand the dealer pay for the correction service.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.