Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Greg
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the place I usually buy my transmission fluid from doesn't appear to be selling Z-1 anymore, just DW-1. I know this is the new tranny fluid Honda is pimping now. Just wondering if anyone has tried this fluid in their 6th Gen V6 and if it is compatible? Thanks for any info anyone has! :thmsup:

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
I was just looking into this. Is now the only Honda trans fluid, so we really have no choice. The official answer is "yes" it's fully compatible for models prior to 2011. 2011+ must used DW-1.

I know someone with Ody is using it with his drain and refill. No difference noticed at all. Then again, it's just a mix now and not pure DW-1.

The positive side is. DW-1 must be an improvement, since many have said they are using something else better than Z1. So I would like to think Honda listen and made their trans fluid better.

I plan to drain and refill my Ody in 2 -4 weeks (warmer weather), so I'll post up (if I still remember).

·
Variable Cylinder Mgmt
253 Posts
i did a 1x D&F at 30K. i drive 500-600 mi./wk/ so i am pretty sensitive to changes to my ride.

seems to shift smoother and i got a couple more mpg out of it.
will do another D&F at my next oil change.
cold weather performance seems better too...but could be in my head..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Will be putting it in the MDX and Accord in the next 30 days. Will report back.....

·
Banned
294 Posts
So the place I usually buy my transmission fluid from doesn't appear to be selling Z-1 anymore, just DW-1. I know this is the new tranny fluid Honda is pimping now. Just wondering if anyone has tried this fluid in their 6th Gen V6 and if it is compatible? Thanks for any info anyone has! :thmsup:
The tranny my f!#@!ing dealer used is a POS and now my tranny shifts like a rough used-up POS tranny. DW1 looks good to go tho ! I would not use Redline ATF or any aftermarket ATF on non-manual Hondas. Apparently the only hondas worth a pizzone are the MT or 4 cyl autos. I didn't get the [email protected]$!ing memo!!!" :rant::furious::headbash: oh, yeah i told you bout the Dw1, I would rock it!! Heavy endorsement on the fluids anyway and I wold highly recommend anyone with a autotragic honda to throw ATF fluid into their ticking time bombs PROFUSELY!!!

As far as 6th gens go, why not try it? Those trannys last way longer then LESS THEN 99k like mine much more new 2006 mode.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Wow, this really has got you wound up. I would mad too, but has been discussed for years about Hondas and V6 trannies.

Sorry it happened to you..........

·
Low Gear
2,935 Posts
Wow, this really has got you wound up. I would mad too, but has been discussed for years about Hondas and V6 trannies.
Sorry it happened to you..........
I bought two new V6 Honda knowing past transmission issues. "Each year" there are supposedly "improvements" and we always hope for the better.

For example. The 08+ Odyssey transmission was updated to a 4 shaft version of the old. So was the 08+ Accord. The software on the Odyssey was udpated this year. We had to bring it back to the dealership. And yet, there are not updates on Accord.

So it is a fact that Honda is still trying to improve the transmission. We just not sure "when" it will be done. Or what they did (doiing) will finally be "perfect."

·
6,322 Posts
What is DW-1? (otherthan ATF)
It is Honda's new trans. fluid. From what I understand they switched suppliers. They went from Exxon-Mobil to Connoco Phillips. The latter also supplies Ford. Like their top notch oil Motorcraft syn-blend 5w20. Which passes the double time heat test. Iirc, it's backwards compatible. :thmsup:

·
Greg
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How much are you guys paying per quart? I'm getting $9 per quart from my closest dealer and about the same rate from an online dealer with shipping included. Hope to order a dozen of them soon; my tranny feels slutty.

·
Greg
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as 6th gens go, why not try it? Those trannys last way longer then LESS THEN 99k like mine much more new 2006 mode.
That may be a preposterous statement. I haven't heard about the 06 tranny's but I have heard many a horror story about the 6th Gen transmissions.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts