Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sniffing around the Honda dealer and came across this cutaway.

Many people on many forums including yours truly criticize Fram for it's glued cardboard end caps. Fram now makes a much better filter with Toughguard and, and Extraguard variants. I prefer NAPA (Wix) Gold.

Just as an FYI, your beloved Honda Genuine has the same cardboard end caps that the orange Fram has. Let's see if there is the same level of criticism.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
Honda makes two OEM filters. The one pictured there is the 15400-PLM-A02 manufactured by Honeywell (Fram's parent company).

Then there is the 15400-PLM-A01 with a different construction manufactured by Filtech. Many (including myself) prefer the Filtech. Alternativley, many (including Honda) say that the A01 and A02 are both interchangable and that both meet their specs.

Also, to answer your question, yes the A02 is criticized:

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2258987
http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12206&page=1
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2983031

Here's a comparison between the A01 and A02.

The A01 also has a much thicker shell, hard to bend when cut open.

In all seriousness, besides me being picky, the A02 is probably just fine for any and all Honda's.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I'll stick with Napa to be safe. My leased MDX that goes back in the spring and is serviced at the Honda dealer I don't really care.

·
No lifetime fluids!
1,019 Posts
I think I'll stick with Napa to be safe. My leased MDX that goes back in the spring and is serviced at the Honda dealer I don't really care.
Wix is a good choice! Which one are you running on there? The 51356 or the 57356?

They're both about the same except the 57356 has a recessed back plate to accommodate for some Honda oil filter mounts that have a nut that will not allow the gasket to completely seal.

Also, the 57356 has smaller inlet holes compared to the 51356 which at some point had distorted the filter media for some user. The 57356 used to have a nitrite ADBV but now has been revised with a silicone one.

But... and I know how stupid aesthetics are with an oil filter, the 51356 looks cooler being all black. The 57356 looks like a white cheapie, IMO.

·
Bout it, Bout it
737 Posts
People have ragged on the A02 filter ever since it superseded the more well-constructed A01. If the A01 was easier to source, I would definitely run it. Purolator PureOne and Napa Gold (Wix) are also great quality filters. But in the end, the A02 serves it purpose fine in our cars and can be run with confidence.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm sniffing around the Honda dealer and came across this cutaway.

Many people on many forums including yours truly criticize Fram for it's glued cardboard end caps. Fram now makes a much better filter with Toughguard and, and Extraguard variants. I prefer NAPA (Wix) Gold.

Just as an FYI, your beloved Honda Genuine has the same cardboard end caps that the orange Fram has. Let's see if there is the same level of criticism.

http://s1341.photobucket.com/user/IIKings920/media/honfilter_zpsdd47afe9.jpg.html
Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. We received a award this year from Honda for making 13 million perfect oil filters. The end cap issue is really alot about nothing. Are you aware that Honda uses FRAM filters on all cars made in the USA? Subaru also uses FRAM filters with fiber end caps. Nissan is now using filtech filters all all of its cars under the Nissan brand with yep- fiber end caps. 2011 and newer Toyota OE filters have no end caps at all, just cut one open. Even GM now uses oil filters with fiber end caps across the board, even on the Z06 and ZL1 corvettes. It is very well proven technology. The metal end cap has nothing to do with keeping your oil clean. Some companies (Mann and Hummel, think BMW, Porsche and Mercedes) use nothing but glue to seal the end of the filter cartridge.

·
HA-420
709 Posts
It all comes down to who can sell the most cost effective and reliable product.

If filters with metal end caps were cheaper than ones with fiber end caps, every car would have metal end cap oil filters.

Sent from my HTC One

·
Registered
139 Posts
I don't use FRAM period. Bosch or Mobil 1 for me. After having three Cummins engines blow apart a Fram filter and an Explorer 4.0 SOHC have oiling issues using a fram filter, I will never use a Fram product. But that's my opinion and opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one.

Reactions: Greg RC

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tried them all. I use fram ultra with confidence!

Purolator makes bosch
Fram which is owned by champ labs ,makes kn and mobil1 filters

Don't believe me look it up
http://www.champlabs.com

But I'll switch between pureone pl14610
And fram xg7317

Order from advance with 20 off coupon code can't beat .

·
Old Bird...sometimes wise
10,137 Posts
2011 and newer Toyota OE filters have no end caps at all, just cut one open.
I'm certain that you are talking about the threaded screw on filters but Toyota has gone almost exclusively to the canister style for many years so the point is somewhat moot. Note the metal end caps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I am the tech director at FRAM. We received a award this year from Honda for making 13 million perfect oil filters. The end cap issue is really alot about nothing. Are you aware that Honda uses FRAM filters on all cars made in the USA? Subaru also uses FRAM filters with fiber end caps. Nissan is now using filtech filters all all of its cars under the Nissan brand with yep- fiber end caps. 2011 and newer Toyota OE filters have no end caps at all, just cut one open. Even GM now uses oil filters with fiber end caps across the board, even on the Z06 and ZL1 corvettes. It is very well proven technology. The metal end cap has nothing to do with keeping your oil clean. Some companies (Mann and Hummel, think BMW, Porsche and Mercedes) use nothing but glue to seal the end of the filter cartridge.
I have a dumb question: I noticed that when I remove a Honda oil filter from my 2007 Accord, there is (almost) no oil in the filter. When I remove the WIX 51356 filter, the filter is about 1/2 full of oil. Is that the function of the adbv? A logical person would deduce that the WIX filter would reduce "dry starts" by "holding" some oil in the filter; right?
Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Amsoil is a top notch premium oil filter. It’s a shame what Honda is doing by providing these cheap oil filters that require you to change more often. What a waste and a ripoff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts