Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I do all of my local commuting with my zippy Leaf, I realize how bad Honda Hands free is.

Why in 2013 does one need to record a "voice tag" for dialing. Suppose you have 200 people you call regularly. Nissan simply recognizes names in your phonebook and dials them and is far more accurate in recognition.

Why do I have to hit the talk button for every reply. Leaf asks for a response and I simply speak.

I could go on. Honda's voice activation is clunky, clumsy, and not very intuitive. I found it frustrating before but without something to compare it to one doesn't really know. My entry level Leaf is far better and it's stereo is only a notch below the so called "premium audio" of the EX-L Accord.

Not hating, just speaking the truth and I still love my Accord with it's flaws.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Talking on the phone while driving, hands free or not, increases the risk of having an accident. Many states have fines for talking on the phone while driving but hands free removes the penalty without reducing the accident risk. I only use the feature to call home while leaving the parking lot at work.

·
Registered
492 Posts
the leaf is more expensive than an accord. if you can believe that. 28k asking. there are some gov. incentives that help cover the expense but still its as expensive as your exl

·
Registered
352 Posts
To be fair, I've never had any good voice control in any of my cars before so as such, the Accord's is pretty much garbage (Can't even understand something as simple as "navigate to" or "take me to"). Once that talk button because a "Siri" button, then all will be fine. Why are small phones so much more powerful than a huge system like this?

·
Registered
608 Posts
To be fair, I've never had any good voice control in any of my cars before so as such, the Accord's is pretty much garbage (Can't even understand something as simple as "navigate to" or "take me to"). Once that talk button because a "Siri" button, then all will be fine. Why are small phones so much more powerful than a huge system like this?
They aren't standardized so design concept uses hardware from many years ago and software that has little reason for constant improvements. Overall, I'd say the EX-L voice system is a tad better than the WinCE phone I had back in '08.

·
Don't hate on my color!!
1,842 Posts
I use mine almost every time I drive the car. I have my favorites on the touch screen in the speed dial so I usually use that. I have used the voice dial before, and it works much better than the HandsfreeLink in my 2010 TSX ever did. I'm also told by one person I call the most that the clarity is also much better than the TSX's.

I've never driven a Leaf yet, my friend in NJ has one and loves his. I'm gonna drive it some when I visit for the holidays. I sat in one at the car show though, and it felt kind of tight for my 6'4, 300 pound frame.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Hey guys, give Honda a chance to work all the bugs out. They just recently learned of this amazing new technology that JUST came out. (Sarcasm)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Talking on the phone while driving, hands free or not, increases the risk of having an accident. Many states have fines for talking on the phone while driving but hands free removes the penalty without reducing the accident risk. I only use the feature to call home while leaving the parking lot at work.
I'm just curious, do you talk to passengers in your car while driving? I don't speak for everyone, but I do talk on the phone only when it's hands-free, and I pay attention to the road, not necessarily the conversation. My wife gets tired of repeating things several times because I'm paying attention to the other drivers who are not, so the calls are usually cut short unless it's important.

I don't understand how the experience of talking on a phone can vary so wildly, though... because most people I see driving like morons, are gabbing with their phones glued to their faces when I look over.

·
Registered
76 Posts
how is the voice quality in the Leaf? When I try to use the built in mic, whoever I'm talking to says I sound horrible and that they can't understand me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes, I hardly ever use voice command because its so clunky. Honda / Acura is among the worst in the industry in this regard. Honda needs to get with the latest technology that allows natural voice command. Its easier for me to just type in an address, or access menu's. Its also why I never use Aha because many of the menus are locked to only voice command while driving.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys, give Honda a chance to work all the bugs out. They just recently learned of this amazing new technology that JUST came out. (Sarcasm)
Yep, it took them forever to discover DRL, Auto locking doors, and heated seats.

·
Registered
4,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how is the voice quality in the Leaf? When I try to use the built in mic, whoever I'm talking to says I sound horrible and that they can't understand me.
Great voice quality and again, no need to record stupid "voice tags". As soon as she stops talking, I reply without having to hit the talk button over and over for every reply.

Honda blew it on this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Honda system is total garbage! Coming from my 2012 jeep wrangler I expected the same level of quality, but sadly it's not so. I'm shocked and VERY disappointed with the audio and hands free system in my car, my Jeep was FAR superior.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts