Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Quick qes. I am making an order from a honda parts store online and want to order some spare 9006 bulbs. They are asking whether I want sylvania or stanley. I am not to crazy to go pull the bulb out of my car to take a look, but I love the light the original bulbs put out. So my qes is who makes the original bulbs in an 05 acord stanley or sylvania? Thanks

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Hi,
Quick qes. I am making an order from a honda parts store online and want to order some spare 9006 bulbs. They are asking whether I want sylvania or stanley. I am not to crazy to go pull the bulb out of my car to take a look, but I love the light the original bulbs put out. So my qes is who makes the original bulbs in an 05 acord stanley or sylvania? Thanks
The originals in my car were Stanley. For not much more you can get HID's. Just something to think about.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
If you like the light output from your stock bulbs (which I am surprised to hear, btw), you should think about getting an aftermarket replacement.
I put Sylvania XtraVisions in my car and it made a noticeable improvement to the stock bulbs. I've had them in for just about 6 months now and they are superior in every way. They don't burn "hot" like the silverstars do, so I don't anticipate any crazy short life span. However, the light is a little whiter, is thrown further and wider, and has improved my night vision quite a bit. I was at a stoplight next to an Accord with stock bulbs and my wife commented on how much yellower the other cars lights were and how much less light was thrown (as well as how much further my lights illuminated the road better). Got mine at WalMart for $20 a pair. Avoid the silverstars because they burn out super quick (the bulbs burn too hot). The Xtravisions are amazing.

·
Banned
578 Posts
I am 100% on board with the OEM headlight bulbs! NO other bulb I have tried lasted more than a year, while the OEM's lasted YEARS and YEARS! Are others brighter? Yeah. Night and Day difference? Nope.

I'll trade a bulb that lasts for MANY years and costs $10 vs brighter bulbs that dont last or HID's that cost $$$ and require special installation.

The OEM I pulled from my 04 was a Stanley, and thats what I opted for.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
I am 100% on board with the OEM headlight bulbs! NO other bulb I have tried lasted more than a year, while the OEM's lasted YEARS and YEARS! Are others brighter? Yeah. Night and Day difference? Nope.

I'll trade a bulb that lasts for MANY years and costs $10 vs brighter bulbs that dont last or HID's that cost $$$ and require special installation.

The OEM I pulled from my 04 was a Stanley, and thats what I opted for.
You can get HIDs for $25+ Shipping (https://www.ddmtuning.com/products/102/) and they take maybe 30 minutes to install. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
312 Posts
You can get HIDs for $25+ Shipping (https://www.ddmtuning.com/products/102/) and they take maybe 30 minutes to install. Night and day difference.
I would recommend against DDM tuning for anything. Slow shipping, poor customer service, and products that die out in 6 months are some of the issues many of their customers run into. Their aftermarket Chinese ballasts and bulbs go through no quality control and several cases on hidplanet have show the bulbs to get so hot that they melt shrouds and housings. It's a case of "you get what you pay for." They can afford to sell for cheap cause they sell crap.

emx72: I'm surprised as well that you like the stock headlights' output. I personally think the 7th gen Accords have some of the worst halogen lights ever. With that said, I think mine were Stanley.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
Fair enough. For the record, I researched the heck out of the xtravisions and most folks say they lasted as long (or longer) than the OEM bulbs. The OEM's were terrible - a constant source of complaint for me and everyone who rode in my car. Since the change, no more complaining. Xtravisions don't burn hotter or have longevity issues, so it's all good. The idea that there are people out there who actually like the oem bulbs is a novel one, so good on ya! Glad you like them.
The standard halogens from my car were sylvanias too. They burn at 3100k. The xtravisions burn at 3200k and most folks report that they last just as long. An extra $5 for a beam of light that was brighter than my 5 year old stockers and throw the light longer and wider? Sounds like a good deal to me. I did a ton of research and chose not to go HID (it requires a new housing with proper cutoffs) due to cost. Silverstars/ultras burn out too quickly because they are overboosted and run at 4000k or 4100k
The xtravisions have been great. My brother has had a set for 5 years with no problems. Since bulbs all dim gradually, replacing them every 5 years isn't a problem for me.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
I would recommend against DDM tuning for anything. Slow shipping, poor customer service, and products that die out in 6 months are some of the issues many of their customers run into. Their aftermarket Chinese ballasts and bulbs go through no quality control and several cases on hidplanet have show the bulbs to get so hot that they melt shrouds and housings. It's a case of "you get what you pay for." They can afford to sell for cheap cause they sell crap.

emx72: I'm surprised as well that you like the stock headlights' output. I personally think the 7th gen Accords have some of the worst halogen lights ever. With that said, I think mine were Stanley.
I have had DDMs in my fogs for over a year with absolutely no problems at all.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had DDMs in my fogs for over a year with absolutely no problems at all.
Yea, not all people have problems; I'm glad you're not. Sorry if I came off as a know-it-all, I didn't want people to just blindly jump into a purchase without proper research. I've just seen a lot of people have problems.

·
06 6MT Sedan
898 Posts
Yea, not all people have problems; I'm glad you're not. Sorry if I came off as a know-it-all, I didn't want people to just blindly jump into a purchase without proper research. I've just seen a lot of people have problems.
No worries.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
i have silverstar ultras 9005 for my high beams for 7 months now. no problems whatsoever.
High beams will always last longer because they are rarely used. It doesn't surprise me that yours have lasted.
Still, many (MANY!) people have reported that the Silverstar line burn out within a year. I didn't replace my high beams because I rarely use them. But if my low beam replacements burned out within a year of putting them in, I'd be ticked off.
I've read tons of reviews by people who put silverstars/ultras in their low beams. Some say they last forever (very few). Most say they burn out between 9 and 12 months. I like to replace my bulbs either a) when they burn out or b) every 5 years (if I keep the car that long).

That said, as always I like to say "Do what you like - it's your car." I'm just giving suggestion, mostly because I hated my OEM lights. I drove from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale, through some very dark areas, with the OEMs and remember several times when I thought that I was having trouble seeing far enough down the road. Since then, I've moved to the burbs and regularly drive in poorly lit areas, both before and after the swap- I like the Xtravisions WAY better. To each his own. Want to go stock? Enjoy! I 'upgraded' for $5 more for the set and highly recommend the Xtravisions as a replacement for people who hate their OEM headlights.

·
Registered
312 Posts
High beams will always last longer because they are rarely used. It doesn't surprise me that yours have lasted.
Still, many (MANY!) people have reported that the Silverstar line burn out within a year. I didn't replace my high beams because I rarely use them. But if my low beam replacements burned out within a year of putting them in, I'd be ticked off.
I've read tons of reviews by people who put silverstars/ultras in their low beams. Some say they last forever (very few). Most say they burn out between 9 and 12 months. I like to replace my bulbs either a) when they burn out or b) every 5 years (if I keep the car that long).

That said, as always I like to say "Do what you like - it's your car." I'm just giving suggestion, mostly because I hated my OEM lights. I drove from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale, through some very dark areas, with the OEMs and remember several times when I thought that I was having trouble seeing far enough down the road. Since then, I've moved to the burbs and regularly drive in poorly lit areas, both before and after the swap- I like the Xtravisions WAY better. To each his own. Want to go stock? Enjoy! I 'upgraded' for $5 more for the set and highly recommend the Xtravisions as a replacement for people who hate their OEM headlights.
Agreed. The main reason they burn out so fast is that they run at 85w or something very high. So your extra light isn't free, its at the expense of more heat and shortened bulb life.

Thread has been officially hijacked. Sorry OP! :)

·
No longer active
702 Posts
That's why I went with the xtravisions - they run at the same wattage and heat as the OEM bulbs, but manage to put out slightly better output.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyway ordered myself the stanley, I love the originals (maybe I am crazy but they give out much better light than stock in my other car the 01 impala).
Another issue, I live in Brooklyn NY and we have 2 dealers nearby (Bayridge and Plaza) whatever you need you have to pay close to double msrp. Its cheaper for me to order online and pay shipping than buy anything around here. For example, a bulb (msrp 10.28) here costs 15 dollars while online its less than 8 dollars, Leather cleaner like 8-10 dollars locally while msrp 5.17 online less than 4 dollars , I hate these ripoffs. I wish there was some honest dealers around here.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
but i have a 2006 accord with DRLs so its on all the time but only half power

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
lol man I should just sell you a set of 9006. I have tons.

Anyways I have both stanley or sylvania on 2 accords that I have owned. So they are both OEM.

·
No longer active
702 Posts
but i have a 2006 accord with DRLs so its on all the time but only half power
bingo
i hope they last you a long time, but from what i've heard/read, they aren't likely to last more than a year or so.
Tell you what, when they do burn out, let us all know. I'd be very interested to hear what your experience ends up being. I don't have DRL's, so I'm curious how long they last in that application.
I was very interested in the Ultras because after 5 years, my stock bulbs were garbage and I wanted better night vision (I had been complaining since I got the car - my last car had awesome headlights). After months of research, I decided on the Xtravisions b/c they threw more light without over driving the bulb and the bulk of the comments on them were positive, with few reports of early burnout.
If you google search silverstar ultra short lifespan, you'll see how I came to my decision.
This is from sylvania's website: http://www.sylvania.com/LearnLighting/LearnAutoLighting/FAQs/

"Q) How long do the headlights last?
A) The life of any halogen bulb varies based on vehicle type, vehicle voltage, amount of time the bulb is on, road conditions, proper installation, and correct application. The average life of SilverStar® headlights is approximately one year. With our SYLVANIA SilverStar® products, the primary goal is to offer the brightest, whitest light. Research has shown SilverStar® headlights improve driver visibility and reaction time. However, since our SilverStar® headlights are up to 35% brighter and our SilverStar® ULTRA headlights are up to 50% brighter than standard halogen, they may have a shorter life span compared to our other products."

Ultras run in the $50 a set range retail. $50 a year for lights is a little steep for my taste. My Xtravisions were less than $20 and are supposed to last far longer.

·
subtract 261000 miles to get engine mileage
17,441 Posts
i dunno, i thought my 4th gen lights were pretty bad....

then again, the driver's side was rusting on the inside.... :lmao:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts