Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I am looking to get a different car soon. I been looking at the 8th gen Accord EX-L sedans with the V6. I have owned nothing but GM vehicles in the past, and I want to try something else. So I am new to Honda's and what kind of maintenance is needed on them.

I found one that I am going to look at next week. It is a 2008 Accord EX-L V6, Charcoal color with black leather, sunroof, standard EX-L options without the navigation, and fairly new tires. The car has 77,000 miles on it and they are asking $14,000, but I am going to try and talk them down more. What is a good price for this car, assuming everything is in clean shape and there are no issues (wrecks, repaints, dents, etc.)?

Is there any kind of normal Honda maintenance that should have been performed on this vehicle with 77,000 miles (transmission fluid change, etc.)? What kind of maintenance should I expect to have to do to it soon? When should the timing belt be replaced?

I was looking at Acura TLs prior, and I have heard that with them transmission problems are not uncommon with the 2nd and 3rd gen TLs. That was a big turn off for me. Is this the case with the 8th gen V6 Accords, and do they use the same transmission? Do these Accords also need to have valve adjustment like the TLs?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Lets see...

Engine defect lawsuit:

http://www.topclassactions.com/laws...-honda-accord-oil-defect-class-action-lawsuit

Brake lawsuit:

http://www.accordsettlement.com/

Recalls:

http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2008/recalls/

A host of non-lawsuit issues, many that I had them fix (Some under warranty, some not). This vehicle gets the dubious honor of the "Avoid like a plague" stamp from carcomplaints.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/top_vehicles/

I have been through the brake lawsuit and now waiting for the engine to fail on my 2008 Accord EX V6. Suddenly my previous GM vehicle isn't looking so bad any more.

·
mobiless2
1,696 Posts
Timing belt @ 105k, I would inspect brakes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
abc123, thanks for the links. Ouch, I was not expecting to see those kind of complaints for this car. I have always heard much praise on Honda vehicles from their owners. Are the 8th gen Accords just a generation that notorious for problems? That kind of scares me now. I can't complain about my Chevy Malibu, it's been rock solid reliable, but I just want to step up to a nicer car. I just don't want to trade up to a known problematic car.

I see that many of the complaints are concerning the brakes. I am guessing that it only affects the genuine Honda replacement pads and rotors? Will aftermarket pads and rotors alleviate this problem? If so, that's not too much of concern because at 70K miles they are probably due anyways.

I looked at the Accord mentioned in my first post a little while ago while the dealer was closed. I am almost sure that it was in a front end collision, the paint on the front of the car doesn't have a single mark on it and the headlights and fog lights look new. I am usually pretty good at identifying wrecks, and this car gives the indications to me. The headlights have the Eagle Eyes branding on them, and the fog lights say Depo on them. I know these are are not Honda factory lights. Should the factory headlights and fog lights say Honda on them, or another manufacturer?

This one is out, but I will checking out Honda dealers tomorrow and see what I can find.

·
Banned
47 Posts
The headlights and fogs should say Stanley if they are OEM, as should the tail-lights.

I bought my Accord (09, AT V6 EX-L Navi) - 46000 miles back in February 2012
for 20k after 10% tax (includes fees). I bought it at the auction though in manheim PA.
It was clean as shit, the seats were mint.
My dealer friend said he always uses leather seats as an indicator of car age lol.
Body was mint.

I'd say my car is now worth 13k at 90k lol, but its hard to find buyers willin to blow the $$ so....

Check the rad support, behind the headlights, all that.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My rear brakes wear out every 24,000 miles, give or take. It is because they are too small. Both aftermarket and OEM pads will wear out. My fronts wear out about every 33k. Rotors will warp a bit, so plan on doing them well before 100k.

Timing belts need to definitely be done before 105k or else you risk bad engine damage. Valve clearance adjustment and spark plugs should be done at the same time.

Auto transmission fluid changes every 30k. It is easy, there is a drain plug.

I have 110k on my V6 and have not had the oil consumption problem so far.

A/C condensors can easily be damaged by rocks, look at youtube for fitting it with a screen to shield it. They are expensive.

I had the a/c relay go out on me and the a/c stopped working abruptly. It was an easy fix.

I basically like mine, but I fully intend to push it to 200k and then decide whether or not to ever buy Honda again. This is my first one. I bought it because mine was made in the USA, and the GM's and Chryslers I looked at were made in Canada.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My rear brakes wear out every 24,000 miles, give or take. It is because they are too small. Both aftermarket and OEM pads will wear out. My fronts wear out about every 33k. Rotors will warp a bit, so plan on doing them well before 100k.

Timing belts need to definitely be done before 105k or else you risk bad engine damage. Valve clearance adjustment and spark plugs should be done at the same time.

Auto transmission fluid changes every 30k. It is easy, there is a drain plug.

I have 110k on my V6 and have not had the oil consumption problem so far.

A/C condensors can easily be damaged by rocks, look at youtube for fitting it with a screen to shield it. They are expensive.

I had the a/c relay go out on me and the a/c stopped working abruptly. It was an easy fix.

I basically like mine, but I fully intend to push it to 200k and then decide whether or not to ever buy Honda again. This is my first one. I bought it because mine was made in the USA, and the GM's and Chryslers I looked at were made in Canada.
Thanks, doesn't sound too out of the ordinary from most vehicles except valve clearance adjustment. I am surprised that valve adjust is something needed on a modern vehicle, or is that because many Hondas use timing belts instead of chains?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Also on my hate list about the accord. But i don't know if the V6 has similar parts compare to the I4 accords. As in the I4 that really bugs me is the lower plastic radiator outlet and plastic intake manifold. If you are planing to keep the car for a long period of time, those parts needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
295 Posts
abc123, thanks for the links. Ouch, I was not expecting to see those kind of complaints for this car. I have always heard much praise on Honda vehicles from their owners. Are the 8th gen Accords just a generation that notorious for problems? That kind of scares me now. I can't complain about my Chevy Malibu, it's been rock solid reliable, but I just want to step up to a nicer car. I just don't want to trade up to a known problematic car.

I see that many of the complaints are concerning the brakes. I am guessing that it only affects the genuine Honda replacement pads and rotors? Will aftermarket pads and rotors alleviate this problem? If so, that's not too much of concern because at 70K miles they are probably due anyways.

I looked at the Accord mentioned in my first post a little while ago while the dealer was closed. I am almost sure that it was in a front end collision, the paint on the front of the car doesn't have a single mark on it and the headlights and fog lights look new. I am usually pretty good at identifying wrecks, and this car gives the indications to me. The headlights have the Eagle Eyes branding on them, and the fog lights say Depo on them. I know these are are not Honda factory lights. Should the factory headlights and fog lights say Honda on them, or another manufacturer?

This one is out, but I will checking out Honda dealers tomorrow and see what I can find.
I would say it is a hit or miss. Mine is 3 years old with almost 60k and doesn't use oil, the car looks/feels new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts