Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
My other car is a Cobra
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone hear this story on money.cnn.com?

"The recall includes 197,000 Accord and 117,000 Civic sedans from the 2003 model year and about 69,000 Element vehicles models from the 2003 and 2004 model years."

Honda Recall

·
Registered
312 Posts
I haven't, but this is concerning. I do use a brand new key with sharp cuts and its pretty rough going in and out of the ignition. Perhaps that'll prevent it from coming out? :dunno:

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
"The automaker said in a statement that if the ignition interlock mechanism becomes worn out or damaged, it may become possible for the ignition key to be removed while the vehicle is not in park. That could allow the vehicle to unexpectedly roll away and possibly crash."

Wouldn't you have to be some kind of retard to put yourself in that situation? If the vehicle is not in Park, you are most likely driving it. So why you would ever try to remove the key from the ignition while you are driving it. If the vehicle is parked, typically the car is in Park, and emergency brake set. So if the key is not in the ignition, how would it roll away? If you are driving it, how would it roll away? If the vehicle is not in Park, and the emergency brake is not set, the vehicle has the tendency to roll away (gravity and hills can do this), regardless of the key being removed from the ignition.

The funny part of the story is that they actually received complaints of this happening!

·
Blast from the past!
6,013 Posts
If the vehicle is parked, typically the car is in Park, and emergency brake set.
Not necessarily. I know lots of people who don't set their e-brake when parked. Some probably wouldn't set their shifter to park either unless they were forced to with the interlock.

·
Stayin Classy...
630 Posts
"The automaker said in a statement that if the ignition interlock mechanism becomes worn out or damaged, it may become possible for the ignition key to be removed while the vehicle is not in park. That could allow the vehicle to unexpectedly roll away and possibly crash."

Wouldn't you have to be some kind of retard to put yourself in that situation? If the vehicle is not in Park, you are most likely driving it. So why you would ever try to remove the key from the ignition while you are driving it. If the vehicle is parked, typically the car is in Park, and emergency brake set. So if the key is not in the ignition, how would it roll away? If you are driving it, how would it roll away? If the vehicle is not in Park, and the emergency brake is not set, the vehicle has the tendency to roll away (gravity and hills can do this), regardless of the key being removed from the ignition.

The funny part of the story is that they actually received complaints of this happening!
My old subaru legacy used to do that. I love it lol! I could start the car and then pull the keys out with it in nuetral (standard trans), lock the doors and grab a coffee in the middle of winter. Didnt do it often, but sometimes it came in handy.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wouldn't you have to be some kind of retard to put yourself in that situation? If the vehicle is not in Park, you are most likely driving it. So why you would ever try to remove the key from the ignition while you are driving it.
Quit calling me names.

Seriously, I rarely drive automatics and when I do, I have a habit of pulling into a spot, turning the car off and then realizing it's not in park when the key won't come out.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Whoops, I just posted a link to Honda's statement in another area of the forum. Didn't see this. They've written that they won't begin mailing notices to affected owners until late September.

·
2016 Nissan Maxima Platnm
4,574 Posts
Not necessarily. I know lots of people who don't set their e-brake when parked. Some probably wouldn't set their shifter to park either unless they were forced to with the interlock.
And whose fault is that? The auto manufacturer? Nope. Honda should not have to pay for a recall for stupid things. The only reason there is a transmission interlock is because some moron never thought to press the brake before shifting into reverse or drive, and then blamed the auto manufacturer because of their lack of common sense.

·
Prim and Proper
1,047 Posts
I had this on my old Grand Marquis. In fact a lot of older model Ford/Lincoln/Mercury did this. It actually did come in handy for me because I would start it in the winter then lock it up and go inside while it warmed up. Of course, I know how to work a gear shift so I can see how other people could have problems.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
The parking brake should not be necessary in normal parking. I only use it when I park on a hill because I don't want too much stress on the other parts.

If the car cannot stay stationary when the car is in Park, then we have issues.

This is irrelevant though. I'm just glad Honda's stepping up to the plate, especially on cars this old.

I just wish I didn't have to wait until September to have this taken care of.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,509 Posts
I'm not going to take my car in, unless the problem happens to my car. The defuses at the local dealership seem to be good at screwing something up, while they work on something else. The seam on the plastic at the bottom of my windshield is not connected properly, from when they did the windshield wiper recall, and my wipers were working normally when I brought it in. I was shocked they didn't scratch the dash, when they fixed the radio back-lighting thing years ago. I just don't trust them with my car.

·
Accelerating Fast
80 Posts
Interesting. They recall the 03 Accord due to a small number of accidents but ignore the accidents caused by the faulty transmission...the same transmission which was recalled in 01 and 02...Interesting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's been a few times where I've parked my car and for whatever reason, didn't actually put it in park right away but have held the brake. Usually listening to something on the radio or whatever and I don't get out of the car right away. Then I go to turn the car off, forgetting it's still in drive and of course it won't let me remove the key because of the interlock. So if that were to fail and in one of these rare occasions, the car could potentially roll down my street - which is a steep hill.

Yeah it's common sense to put your car in park as soon as you stop, but we're all humans and we all forget the simplest things from time to time. So Honda's probably just covering their asses so no one sues them for their car rolling away and crashing into something...

·
'06 Coupe EX V6/6MT
1,603 Posts
Quit calling me names.

Seriously, I rarely drive automatics and when I do, I have a habit of pulling into a spot, turning the car off and then realizing it's not in park when the key won't come out.
+1, all my previous cars for the last 10 years have been manuals, so when I drive the wife's Camry, I've done that same thing a couple of times. Pulled into the garage, turned it off, key doesn't come out -- put it in park... Yup, I'm a dummy. Oh well.

If the feature on the car is a safety/security feature, then Honda absolutely should fix it. though, by that rationale, they should recall the bad auto-tranny's too.

If it's a question of damages caused by the person that failed to put it into park, then that's NOT Honda's fault. Similarly, I'd not expect them to pay damages if my MT rolled down a hill due to the fact that I failed to secure the proper parking mechanisms.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
+1, all my previous cars for the last 10 years have been manuals, so when I drive the wife's Camry, I've done that same thing a couple of times. Pulled into the garage, turned it off, key doesn't come out -- put it in park...

If it's a question of damages caused by the person that failed to put it into park, then that's NOT Honda's fault. Similarly, I'd not expect them to pay damages if my MT rolled down a hill due to the fact that I failed to secure the proper parking mechanisms.

Nice to see a few of us still around who've not gone 'shiftless' - - mindfull that HMC makes (IMHO) one well-engineered 6M (with a GM goo assist).

all the best from our left coast, ez....

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
For those of us that bought our cars second-hand, will we also get the notice? I've got a Canadian car, and biught it used privately. How does Honda know the car is in my possesion and not the original owner's?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Usually whomever owns the car currently gets the recall because it goes to the car, not by owner.

·
BRWNFLSH now
7,509 Posts
For those of us that bought our cars second-hand, will we also get the notice? I've got a Canadian car, and biught it used privately. How does Honda know the car is in my possesion and not the original owner's?
If you are not the original owner, I seriously doubt you will get the notice. I still get notices for cars I sold 15 years ago. It seems none of these companies keep track of ownership.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Not to worry. I ignored my wiper recall and the dealership caught it when I took it in for other work. If notifies them by vin when put in the computer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts